Any cheap suppliers of plastidip in UK?

mcaf123

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
SG9663DC
I'm looking to spray my soon to be delivered Panorama X2 in matte black for a more stealthy look. Looking at Niko's diy project on this for inspiration I want to spray mine in plastidip so it can be peeled off if I need to send it of for RMA etc.

Does anyone know of any cheap place I can buy it from in the UK and whether I need to get specific type etc?

Thnx for the link Nigel! Why would you go for this over plastidip?

Thnx for the link Nigel! Why would you go for this over plastidip?
Well you asked for cheap and it costs 25% less.

I think it is better for spraying than plastidip and gives a finer texture which on something small like a dashcam will look better, however I haven't used both products in identical situations so I can't say for sure.

Don't expect it to withstand a lot of handling, it is a removable wrap rather than proper permanent paint. I would actually use paint with plastic primer underneath to do a proper job but that is non-reversable.

Don't expect it to withstand a lot of handling, it is a removable wrap rather than proper permanent paint. I would actually use paint with plastic primer underneath to do a proper job but that is non-reversable.

Are you talking about the plastidip or the alternative here?

Are you talking about the plastidip or the alternative here?
Both, I think they are essentially the same product but with a slightly different formulation.

Both, I think they are essentially the same product but with a slightly different formulation.
Cool. I don't ever plan on moving the camera except if I were to change cars. The X2 comes with a clear plastic mount so that will definitely need painting as well.... Do you recommend I get the primer or just do a good few coats without?

Cool. I don't ever plan on moving the camera except if I were to change cars. The X2 comes with a clear plastic mount so that will definitely need painting as well.... Do you recommend I get the primer or just do a good few coats without?
I don't believe the primer is necessary, however it is very important to remove any grease from the surface so use a very good cleaner/degreaser. Ideally you would scuff the surface with an abrasive pad but it is supposed to stick without doing that. I think a couple of thin coats is fine, I think I've just used one and got good coverage from the black. Don't put excess on, it wont help it stick.

I don't believe the primer is necessary, however it is very important to remove any grease from the surface so use a very good cleaner/degreaser. Ideally you would scuff the surface with an abrasive pad but it is supposed to stick without doing that. I think a couple of thin coats is fine, I think I've just used one and got good coverage from the black. Don't put excess on, it wont help it stick.
Thanks for the advice!
Excuse my ignorance, but what would you use to get rid of any grease?

Nice one.... Thanks for your help!

Wow, that's a bit much!

They have free postage on ebay : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390928302581
Not sure it helps much though! :rolleyes:
Thanks for that! Cheaper is cheaper lol...just bought it :D
Instead of using white spirit, my wife has what I would basically describe as a safer version she uses to clean her paint brushes - would that be OK to use do you reckon?

Last edited:
@Nigel... This is what it is....
be327ea2f3e155c8bad89b3688bf8637.jpg

It came... That was quick!
21a0f8723df4231ebf23e923f5e9689f.jpg

Instead of using white spirit, my wife has what I would basically describe as a safer version she uses to clean her paint brushes - would that be OK to use do you reckon?
It says it removes oil so I imagine it will be perfect, as long as it doesn't leave any residue when it evaporates. Make sure it is properly dried before painting.

Is the liquid wrap the right colour? - I would have expected a black cap.

It says it removes oil so I imagine it will be perfect, as long as it doesn't leave any residue when it evaporates. Make sure it is properly dried before painting.

Is the liquid wrap the right colour? - I would have expected a black cap.
It seems to be a generic can they just put a label and cap on.... They've written black in marker on the cap [emoji2].
Gonna go an pick up my new cams from the post office later so will hopefully be able to paint them over the weekend. Would you recommend I remove the white lettered branding with nail polish remover or just leave it on? Niko removed it in his project

Frost gave me a £5 off £30 spend voucher if you want it @Nigel? It's valid until end of March next year

It seems to be a generic can they just put a label and cap on.... They've written black in marker on the cap [emoji2].
Gonna go an pick up my new cams from the post office later so will hopefully be able to paint them over the weekend. Would you recommend I remove the white lettered branding with nail polish remover or just leave it on? Niko removed it in his project
Ran out of black caps because they are the most popular maybe. It will cover the lettering no problem, if you were using paint rather than wrap then I would remove the lettering otherwise the shape would show on the surface of the paint, don't think it will be an issue with the wrap. I'll remember you have the voucher, I don't often order from them though - thanks.

Back