Any dash cams that clear storage before powering off?

Worf

Reaction score
Country
Slovenia
Hello,

I'm interested in buying a dash cam, but the idea of leaving the car with all the videos available on the SD card unsettles me, especialy with the GDPR thing now. So I Googled a lot for anything that would automaticaly clear storage before powering off but did not find anything. I guess it would have to leave the videos that you mark as important. So I'm wondering if anything like that exists, maybe with a custom firmware or something?

Thank you for your help.

I think there's a Garmin model that has that option, someone posted about it previously

Nope, the Garmin dashcams can bet set to delete a video immediately if you don't press the save button. That's a very stupid feature because there's a good chance you won't remember to press the button in time. It's also not that simple with Garmins to save. You have to hold down the button for several seconds

Nope, the Garmin dashcams can bet set to delete a video immediately if you don't press the save button. That's a very stupid feature because there's a good chance you won't remember to press the button in time. It's also not that simple with Garmins to save. You have to hold down the button for several seconds
that's what he wants though, he wants all video deleted at power off except for something he has specifically saved, it's a popular request in Germany due to GDPR also

Hehe EU are like a modern day slow-motion reenactment of Jonestown 1978 :rolleyes:

that's what he wants though, he wants all video deleted at power off except for something he has specifically saved, it's a popular request in Germany due to GDPR also
I would think it would be highly likely that I would loose everything I needed when I got out of the car after an accident and removed the car key automatically before thinking of pressing the save button! That is not the time you are going to be thinking clearly about things.

I would think it would be highly likely that I would loose everything I needed when I got out of the car after an accident and removed the car key automatically before thinking of pressing the save button! That is not the time you are going to be thinking clearly about things.
yeah I agree, personally I think it's stupid, but I think stupid sums up the GDPR in general, it causes dumb stuff like this to be a thing, I liked it better when common sense was a thing

They don't erase when you turn off, they erase continuously

Seems like an odd feature request. Why would you bother having a dashcam that does not save the video?

Seems like an odd feature request. Why would you bother having a dashcam that does not save the video?
It only saves evidence in the event of an accident. The rest of the video footage of private individuals is discarded.

The laws around dashcam use vary across the world, with some states prohibiting them.

You don't have to press anything on 55 or 65. Just say "OK Garmin, save video (picture)" Works very well. As a matter of fact, what I thought at first was a gimmick, is now my favorite feature.

If i could make my phone react to anything else but okay google, i would probably use that feature. :)

Why not use a small card? 4, 8, GB?

This seems to be a more-or-less usable workaround to get the desired results. From my not-too-deep researching, it seems that there are only a couple Nations which allow dashcams but are anal about restrictions on personal use of the footage. There are several where the footage is somewhat restricted, and a few more do not allow dashcams at all.

So perhaps there could be a niche market for a cam with auto-erase, which might cause the restrictive places to reconsider their position regarding dashcams meant for driving protection and not general random public filming. I'd like everyone to have access to the benefits of dashcams :cool:

Phil

This sounds like an application for a cam with buffered parking mode being used for buffered driving mode, with no saved recordings of normal driving. It would constantly cycle video through the buffer and save to the card only in the event of g-sensor activation, or pressing a remote button.

I understand your concerns and see some issues with wanting to wipe storage on shut down:
  • If there is enough of an impact that the car/camera loses electrical power, you'd also lose any video evidence.
  • If you have an incident, you might turn off the ignition as you leave the car, out of habit. Again, you'd lose the video evidence.
  • I'm not a lawyer: GDPR might not be relevant here. It would be useful to get a proper legal view here.
As a compromise solution, you could format the card whenever you exit the car or remember to format it once a week or so.

In Europe, there are limitations on what you can do with dash cam footage. Some have no limits on recording and posting publicly. Some allow recording but only for release to authorities. Some don't allow any recording at all. Google your local laws, and those for any countries you'll be driving through.

Back