Any Dashcams running Android OS?

romanmar

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm looking for a dashcam running Android OS, so I'm able to download apps from Google App Store, specifically Waze app. I don't need navigation, Waze app is mostly useful for alerts on traffic cameras, police and accidents. I have a mobile hotspot in the car, so wifi is already there.

So far this is only one I found(link below), only has Android 4.4 and no reviews. Is there something with newer OS, or with a smaller screen so its more discrete.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New...QgcpZjuUZCPNhyHTX5E2RrXMAfXmdszTMMaAj6V8P8HAQ

why dont you use a old smartphone and buy one more phone holder to install this phone into your car ?
Then you can install any app in android. That's the best.
Dash camera with android os are pretty suck at night as far as i know.

Just buy a 4" to 5" budget smartphone that cost maybe $100 to $200 and use it as a dashcam/gps. Buy a good phone mount also ;)

I use a tablet for similar stuff to what waze do, or i run the app on my phone, either way i get my dedicated dashcams freed up to just do dashcam work.
And beside a dashcam is best mounted up high and center of windscreen, and though i have plenty room there in my car i would not be able to see the screen and so use it for navigating.
A camera like that you will probably have to put it in a less fortunate place on the windscreen, and that may be illegal in your state.
And my 7" tablet is more readable, though it is a cheap one and so do not come with the best kind of screen for the really bright days of summer.

I am also dreaming about updating my tablet as it have a cracked screen and i would like one with a bit larger screen but not much larger physical size.
I might be able to cram in a 9" tablet if the border around the screen is small / really small, and then amoled or something would be nice.

Normaly i run the speed trap app on my phone and then use the tablet for navigation.

Maybe get a android headunit with a large screen and run waze on it, i am also dreaming about replacing my flaky win CE headunit with a android one, that in my car Double DIN so also a 7" screen there.
But you can get regular sized radios with a screen that pop out on a motor.

This off course all depend on if your car is a new one with the bastard size radio units.

You can get android radios cheap if you are no audiophile, and expensive ones if you go for the big brand names.

O and none of my stuff beside the cameras are on the windscreen, so i have a totally unobstructed view out ahead ( also illegal to put anything in field of view here though its not a law anyone bother about )

11054200_big_thumb.JPG

1 X 5.2" ( phone ) mounted off driver side door.
2 X 7" ( headunit and tablet ) tablet wedge in under lid of compartment on top of my dashbord.
3 X dashcams where the left most one is not normally there
And then there is also 2 X GPS mouse antennas in the picture where the one in the top left corner is the only one soon.
Need to clean up wires soon and, start working on my DIY dashmat.

why dont you use a old smartphone and buy one more phone holder to install this phone into your car ?
Then you can install any app in android. That's the best.
Dash camera with android os are pretty suck at night as far as i know.

Yea, I've looked into using the phone, specifically used LG G5, since it has 135 degree wide angle view camera. But I was thinking a dedicated device, would be better for such an application.

I use a tablet for similar stuff to what waze do, or i run the app on my phone, either way i get my dedicated dashcams freed up to just do dashcam work.
And beside a dashcam is best mounted up high and center of windscreen, and though i have plenty room there in my car i would not be able to see the screen and so use it for navigating.
A camera like that you will probably have to put it in a less fortunate place on the windscreen, and that may be illegal in your state.
And my 7" tablet is more readable, though it is a cheap one and so do not come with the best kind of screen for the really bright days of summer.

I am also dreaming about updating my tablet as it have a cracked screen and i would like one with a bit larger screen but not much larger physical size.
I might be able to cram in a 9" tablet if the border around the screen is small / really small, and then amoled or something would be nice.

Normaly i run the speed trap app on my phone and then use the tablet for navigation.

Maybe get a android headunit with a large screen and run waze on it, i am also dreaming about replacing my flaky win CE headunit with a android one, that in my car Double DIN so also a 7" screen there.
But you can get regular sized radios with a screen that pop out on a motor.

This off course all depend on if your car is a new one with the bastard size radio units.

You can get android radios cheap if you are no audiophile, and expensive ones if you go for the big brand names.

O and none of my stuff beside the cameras are on the windscreen, so i have a totally unobstructed view out ahead ( also illegal to put anything in field of view here though its not a law anyone bother about )

11054200_big_thumb.JPG

1 X 5.2" ( phone ) mounted off driver side door.
2 X 7" ( headunit and tablet ) tablet wedge in under lid of compartment on top of my dashbord.
3 X dashcams where the left most one is not normally there
And then there is also 2 X GPS mouse antennas in the picture where the one in the top left corner is the only one soon.
Need to clean up wires soon and, start working on my DIY dashmat.

My sitiuation is such:
I live in NYC, so if I park my car like you do, I would be asking for a broken window, I'm actually pretty skittish to put in a dashcam cause of it. Was actually thinking of maybe adding a usb camera to an android phone, so its most discrete.
Car has a built in navigation system, so don't really need a navigation system. All i want is a dashcam, and I was hoping to run waze in the background so I get alerts where cameras are. NYC lowered the speed limit to 25mph, and stuck speeding cameras everywhere. So far I've received 3 camera tickets, $50 each. On the highway exit where I live, they've installed one camera, in the first day it captured 3000 speeders, that's 150k/day for the city.
http://nypost.com/2015/02/26/coney-island-speed-camera-snares-55000-tickets/
Additionally since its Android I was going to set it up in such a way, that when dashcam turns on, it turns on waze just for alerts, and then turns on dashcam. But beginning to think that it might be a good idea to have two devices.

Yeah. Two devices will be better :)

well i don't leave the tablet or phone in my car, if i have the tablet with me on a drive when i reach the destination i just put it in the glove box or over the sun shade if the temperatures are not high that day.
As for dashcams i also want them as stealthy as possible, but as i do some testing for a few brands i cant really make demands, but so far i am fairly good though 3-4 cameras in front of the mirror is more easy to see than just one.

But i rarely park where my car are not covered by CCTV, at home i have a ip camera in the car as the back yard where it is parked is dark as a coalmine at night.
And at my friends house ( just have the one ) there is also CCTV coverage.

Danish gooberment also just spent some 100 millions on what we call ATK cars ( Automatic Traffic Control ) but those cars ( vans ) are manned, but then they can be changed in location though that don't seem to be the case 90% of the time.
Things are so incompetent here that the ATK cars will only deviate from their fixed routine, if some citizens call or ask for a car to come and do some monitoring on their street or town.
But in geneal the ATK cars are just money makers here, danes are too stupid to learn from a fine, at least the level the fines are on now ( and that's plenty expensive at least for my meager pension )

But normally you can almost set your clock after when a ATK car turn up on one of its regular spots :rolleyes: we don't have fixed speed cameras to my knowlege, and when we do they will be vandalized, just like the red light cameras they tried out for a short while.

I use a free local app to warn about the speed cams, not that i normally speed, i just report the cameras so others can speed where they please and not get a ticket there, and so i active help in wasting tax payer money and make this place even more chitty, cuz that seem to be the agenda every one else is on blissfully unaware, i am just a little more proactive than most people here.

Its a wonder i never gotten a speeding ticket, cuz up until 1998 or so i was driving like a total lunatic, some times driving a few miles in a city resulting in my car having severe brake fading when i arrived at my destination, 2 intersections and 3-4 turns from where i set off :rolleyes::(
Changed front brake pads at least 2 times every year back then :rolleyes: and not forgetting the rotor now and then when i could not lathe them more for safety reasons.

This is how a ATK car look here, so it is pretty simple if you see a van with no lettering on it telling its a craftsman or something, then slow the hell down :) But it seem like most Danes are too stupid to figure that out ( or busy on their damn phones while driving )

maxresdefault.jpg

Also pretty laughable, you can go past one of these on a motorcycle at any speed you like, cuz we only have plates on the rear of motorcycles, and the ATK cars only take pictures and speed readings head on :rolleyes::):(

I've reviewed Hyundai H100 dashcam here.
It's android based dashcam with navigation.

Back