Any idea about using dual-lock to mount a dash cam

yangren13

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi guys. Would anyone willing to dig out some pro & cons about the dual-lock tape? If you have an ez pass/ sun pass tag, you may already found how convience the dual-lock adhesive tapes is. It eazy to put on and take off the tag, and eazy to peel and remount the tape compare with the 3M VHB that been widely used in dash cam mount. 2 reasons make me considering the double-lock as an alternative of 3M tape: 1. it's really painful when removing a 3M VHB mount plate with floss, as well as clean the residual on the windshield; 2. The slide direction to lock on the dash cam to mount is not ideal for every vehicle, especially when you want to perfectly align the dash cam len to the center. And with dual lock tape, no more slide, just attach.
5ed501a0-3406-4306-b75f-3ad0be775a82._CR0,0,220,220_PT0_SX220__.jpg

I use dual lock almost exclusively for mounting cameras, GPS, etc. Here's how I have my cameras mounted on the sensor housing. This image it's mounted with industrial strength Velcro but I've since decided to go with the dual lock.

I use dual lock almost exclusively for mounting cameras, GPS, etc. Here's how I have my cameras mounted on the sensor housing. This image it's mounted with industrial strength Velcro but I've since decided to go with the dual lock.

The mount looks nice and neat. I also find the best place to mount the dash cam is my car's sensor housing. For that plastic sensor housing, a gentle glue like dual lock's may help to prevent damages.

Hi guys. Would anyone willing to dig out some pro & cons about the dual-lock tape? If you have an ez pass/ sun pass tag, you may already found how convience the dual-lock adhesive tapes is. It eazy to put on and take off the tag, and eazy to peel and remount the tape compare with the 3M VHB that been widely used in dash cam mount. 2 reasons make me considering the double-lock as an alternative of 3M tape: 1. it's really painful when removing a 3M VHB mount plate with floss, as well as clean the residual on the windshield; 2. The slide direction to lock on the dash cam to mount is not ideal for every vehicle, especially when you want to perfectly align the dash cam len to the center. And with dual lock tape, no more slide, just attach.
View attachment 52999

There are a couple of older threads here on DCT about Dual Lock tape where you'll find some interesting information and discussion.

Where do I buy dual lock tape?

3M Dual Lock for mounting Viofo A119 V3 GPS mount

For that plastic sensor housing, a gentle glue like dual lock's may help to prevent damages.
Actually the biggest problem I've had using dual-lock on plastic is the adhesive. Dual-lock is fairly stiff and doesn't conform well to the texture of many plastics.

I found the best way to address that is to use VHB to attach the dual lock to the plastic. VHB is considerably more pliable and will conform to all the little nooks and crannies in the plastic much better than the dual-lock which tends to adhere only to the high spots of the texture and give less than an ideal bond.

Actually the biggest problem I've had using dual-lock on plastic is the adhesive. Dual-lock is fairly stiff and doesn't conform well to the texture of many plastics.

I found the best way to address that is to use VHB to attach the dual lock to the plastic. VHB is considerably more pliable and will conform to all the little nooks and crannies in the plastic much better than the dual-lock which tends to adhere only to the high spots of the texture and give less than an ideal bond.

Dual-Lock Tape is actually available with different types of adhesive, including "Conformable Acrylic". I don't know if it is available in consumer quantities though.

dual_lock.jpg

Back