Any idea how to adjust a camera left to right, when the lens moves only up and down?

Velvetfoot

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have my A119v3 mounted just to the left (lefthand drive) of the mirror pod.
It's convenient there, for sd card access, adjustments, buttons, etc.
But, I find the view isn't centered, likely enhanced by the curve of the windshield.
Would there be a way to somehow center the view?
I'm not enthused about putting it in the center, but under the mirror.
Also, the double tape is very secure and low profile, which is nice, vs some kind of pendent mount.
Maybe a wedge? That'd have to be glued onto the GPS mount.

Thats the drawback of most wedge cameras if you have them a little offset.
As you say not only the distance you have it offset from center, but also the curve of the windscreen play in.

But aside for using a wedge of some kind between the camera mount and the windscreen there is little you can do with the V3

I get the same as i only have 1 camera dead center on my windscreen, more cameras and they go beside it on either side and so are off set a little, but i still feel it is okay so not something i am bothered with.
I would be big time annoyed if i had a long recording from a offset camera i had to view, but that is not the case so a short bleep of footage here and there is fine.

I might re-think center, but the mirror is a big chunk, and the camera will be more in view.

I might re-think center, but the mirror is a big chunk, and the camera will be more in view.
Is mounting on the sensor/mirror housing a possibility? I've been doing it that way for some time now but it may not be possible with all cameras/vehicles.

I have my A119v3 mounted just to the left (lefthand drive) of the mirror pod.
It's convenient there, for sd card access, adjustments, buttons, etc.
But, I find the view isn't centered, likely enhanced by the curve of the windshield.
I get how people like things to be symmetrical but having the view centered doesn't make a lot of sense in the scheme of things, it's not representative of the drivers POV and pushes the focus further toward the passenger side, having some drivers side bias helps to even up the view across opposing lanes of traffic, it's about capturing useful detail, not making movies

Indeed.
It should not bother people in the great perspective, but some are a bit OCD.
I like order and symmetry too in many things, but if a dashcam are a little off side or as in some cases here a bit slanted, it dont bother me at all.

I prefer center mounting because it shows my vehicle position more exactly which would be a more important point in a dispute than what I may or may not have seen. But I also prefer two cams for redundancy and the second one is more toward a driver's view. Having said all that I'm not sure it matters a lot because most of the time what the other vehicle(s) were doing is more important as long as you've done no wrong.

But getting back to the OP's problem, you can shove something under one side of the mount to slightly push it off the glass as the 3M tape does have some ability to stretch and compress but I wouldn't try to get more than a couple degrees from this method. If you need more than that you need to use wedges ;) I do think that there should be more done by the cam manufacturers to help with this such as including a couple different wedges and 3M pads in the kit, or as some have done having a lens which has some horizontal movement.

This has always been one of the drawbacks of wedge cams and becomes even more so with new cars having sensor pods at the mirror meaning that you're going to be even further toward the windshield's outward curvature :( Tubular cams are similarly afflicted but sometimes those can be mounted under the sensor pod as they have less height, or be set to one side where the mount is more centralized and thus had less divergence. Sadly, most of the cams with the best performance will be one of these two types :cry:

But in the end unless there's a lot of misalignment, your cam will 'see' enough on both sides to protect you as it's supposed to do. And if it doesn't there are ways to fix that.

Phil

The only logical way to do this would be to wedge the mount but am not too sure how. You could put a vertical strip of double sided mount tape vertically down one side of the mount and then put tape over that to cover the entire mount area. This would have the effect of providing a slight wedge which should be enough to move the lens slightly.

You could put a vertical strip of double sided mount tape vertically down one side of the mount and then put tape over that to cover the entire mount area. This would have the effect of providing a slight wedge which should be enough to move the lens slightly.

That's been done before and it does work. I'd forgotten about that trick ;) Good call (y)

Phil

Back