Any idea where these cool overlays are from?

Yeah this are probably post overlays on a non consumer system, i dont think it is live stamped in the footage like speed / coordinates / time date can be.
I for one would not have stuff like that cluttering my footage.

Good how it identifies the 65 MPH speed limit sign right before the car crashes thru it.

Video did not work for me yesterday, that some spill the white car take :eek:
I still think it is post image analyzing, though many new cars can read speed signs, my sisters new Hyundai I20 do that just fine.

Okay they have that much surplus power nowadays :cool:

Yes I agree this looks like post image anazlying. It would be nice to find the name of something like this, or something open source that does cool overlays and is easy to use.

the road sign recognition is supported in a lot of cameras already, just hasn't been enabled
There is a good reason it hasn't been enabled!
At least on UK roads.

The signs are on the wrong side of the road :p

Dammit that was going to be my go to excuse on my great Australian drive about :)

camera detects the signs regardless of where they are placed
That is the problem, for example we have a lot of trucks, caravans, etc that are speed limited and display their limit using a speed limit sign on their rear; so when you drive past them the camera reads their limit instead of yours! Also seem good at reading speed limit signs for side streets that you are not using, and which we seem to have rather a lot of.

That is the problem, for example we have a lot of trucks, caravans, etc that are speed limited and display their limit using a speed limit sign on their rear; so when you drive past them the camera reads their limit instead of yours! Also seem good at reading speed limit signs for side streets that you are not using, and which we seem to have rather a lot of.
won't generally pick up speed signs in side streets but the other signs which don't always apply, back of buses (we have those too), temp roadwork signs, and school zones etc that only apply during certain hours can't be distinguished from normal signs as there are no real smarts to the system, when used as an OSD feature it's a non issue as you can just ignore things that don't apply, kind of a pointless addition for most dashcams though as the screen is rarely ever in the ideal position for this to be useful, having incorrect info embedded in your videos could open a can of worms of the video was ever needed for evidence purposes, we have the ability to support this function in all but one of our models, I can't see any use case that would actually make it a worthwhile option to have though so not something I ever plan to enable, not based on any current tech at least

won't generally pick up speed signs in side streets but the other signs which don't always apply, back of buses (we have those too), temp roadwork signs, and school zones etc that only apply during certain hours can't be distinguished from normal signs as there are no real smarts to the system, when used as an OSD feature it's a non issue as you can just ignore things that don't apply, kind of a pointless addition for most dashcams though as the screen is rarely ever in the ideal position for this to be useful, having incorrect info embedded in your videos could open a can of worms of the video was ever needed for evidence purposes, we have the ability to support this function in all but one of our models, I can't see any use case that would actually make it a worthwhile option to have though so not something I ever plan to enable, not based on any current tech at least
I found that driving through part of the city that had imposed 20 limits on all the side streets when 30 is the national standard, thus they have to put 20 signs at the start of every side street, it was reading most of them as I drove along the 30 main street, which was wrong, but the constant reading of them was also annoying. Out in the countryside, it was sort of useful since it could remind you if you failed to see one yourself, but a GPS+speed limit database based warning is far better, so yes, I don't recommend turning speed sign reading on, too inaccurate, too many problems, even if it does get improved by recognising the backs of vehicles and ignoring any signs within them!

Back