Any more news on the rear plug in camera for 512gw ultra

i ordered my rear cam from halfords online on the 9th and it was delivered to the store yesterday (11th) and i picked it up in the afternoon. updated the firmware for the front camera and fitted the rear one this morning (12th). looks good so far.

Mine's been fitted and working for over a month now and I am more than happy with the results.
My only concern remains the need to plugin / unplug the rear camera each time I enter and exit the car, introducing wear-and-tear to the socket. I know I can leave the front cam in-situ but that's defeating the object.

The port should be OK - there was no way of introducing this into the mount unfortunately.

Lots of customers leave them in-situ to make the most of parking mode, if you don't then yes you will have to insert/remove the cable each time.

OK a little review on the Experience of the Rear-Cam saga ..... (let’s all take it as read that it’s been a looooong time in coming)

The Good
I got a code/email from Tiffany on Tuesday (the 10th) and placed my order with nextbase directly
Notified it would take 7-10 workings days to deliver as I wasn’t in any real rush as issues would be indentified and hopefully fixed so I was ok and paid over my money.
Got a email from next base the next day (11th) saying delivery would be 3-5 working days - ooohh I got a little excited
Got a email today (12th) from Hermes saying it was being delivered today - I had today off and every time either of my dogs suddenly jumped up to look out of the window I got a little more excited ;)
Finally at 1730 door bell rang and lo and behold 1 x rear-cam in my hands :)
Patching the 512 was easy as cake and installation of the rear cam was easy enough.

The Bad
The 6 metre cable is 2x the thickness of the 512 cable so I had to route other way around the car - wasn’t the tidiest of installs but as it’s only for teaching it’s ok
On first fire up I got the option what I wanted to see (which is a nice option but as I see the speed only it’s a moot point) then I checked/rest my usual settings and then went to test the WiFi option to which the 512 froze it wouldn’t turn off or be able to be forced to turn off. After trying all options to get the 512 to work I decided on the reset button on the bottom and prayed - thankfully that seemed to fix the WiFi access and I could use dash-cam app.
Now before I installed the rear cam the WiFi wasn’t the fastest in the world but you could watch any recording within a few seconds and be able to down load a 1440p 2 minute video (which was about 480megs) in about 5 mins but now it takes about 15 seconds for the video to even start playing then it’s stutter stutter stutter - I tried to download a rear video again two minutes long which was about 178megs after 2 mins the download circle had moved about 5% (imagine 1oclock on a clock face) and then at about 3 mins the download page crashed and went to the main camera screen and nothing was downloaded.

Now the question is there issues with the WiFi with the read cam installed, or does the dash cam app for iOS need a new update ? I am currently using the version that was updated for the 7th July which I believe after the rear cam was launched or could it be down to the fact I am currently using iOS 12.0 (16A5318d) I’ll drop a screen in from my settings panel at the bottom

I really need to WiFi issue to be fixed fairly quickly as I use my 512 and iPad as a teaching tool but bar those small niggles above I am happy with it and many thanks Tiffany for your assistance in the Rear-Cam Saga :)

Attachments

• 550E9988-B4A8-4F0B-9D62-A66986E6A5DA.jpeg
    550E9988-B4A8-4F0B-9D62-A66986E6A5DA.jpeg
    55.5 KB · Views: 9
Have you updated the firmware? There was a similar/same WiFi issue that was fixed by firmware.

Yes as I said I patched the 512 - don’t think the rear cam would have worked with the version I was running before hand

Ha. I read patched and just read it as the action of patching front and rear units with the cable. Sorry.

Ill check the WiFi download speed tomorrow. Problem with this will be the bus to the processor...there isn't enough data channels so the new camera is taking it from the front camera (apparently forcing a lower bit rate) and the WiFi.

I'm not a hardware engineer....but I kinda wish they just used a raspberry pi inside this thing.

Now the question is there issues with the WiFi with the read cam installed, or does the dash cam app for iOS need a new update ? I am currently using the version that was updated for the 7th July which I believe after the rear cam was launched or could it be down to the fact I am currently using iOS 12.0 (16A5318d) I’ll drop a screen in from my settings panel at the bottom

as a test power the cam off, unplug the rear cable, power back on with just the front cam running and test your wifi performance then, if no change then it could be a firmware bug, if it does change then it may be interference from the rear camera cable

I did what was suggested by JOKIIN and I tweaked the location of the cables to be as far away as possible and it made a little difference but it still took over 5mins to download a 2 minute video on the third attempt.

I have noted the dash-cam needs a little more juice to start up and stay started and recording than it did before - all info has been passed onto Tiffany

I can't comment on any WiFi issues, I've never had cause to use it, and can't think of an occasion where I'm likely to, I personally transfer files directly to the computer or Android tablet via the Micro USB.
As for start up and performance, I've not seen any depreciation at all on my model.

Just my two-penneth.

Just install my rear dash cam properly. Fed it through the rubber tube between the car and the door so there are no wires dangling from the roof carpet to the glass where the camera is mounted. Wire, string and a bit of washing up liquid for lube did the trick to feed the thick cable through.

Fitted my Nextbase 512GW rear camera today, on my Ford Kuga Titanium X Sport at the top of the rear hatch window, but there seems to be an EMC problem as when the rear camera is powered it affects the DAB radio reception, and stations keep loosing signal. I have re-routed the cable to the front camera, with no effect. The Kuga DAB antenna is in the rear screen. Has anyone else had this issue and resolved it, before I bin the camera?

if you have a DAB antenna in the rear window and the camera is nearby it's going to impact signal quality, that will happen with any camera in that location

if you have a DAB antenna in the rear window and the camera is nearby it's going to impact signal quality, that will happen with any camera in that location
Surely any reputable camera manufacturer would know that this is likely to be an issue and therefore design the camera with minimum RF transmission properties, supply it with a shielded power cable, ferrite beads, make the camera case shielded etc? I guess you get what you pay for.

Surely any reputable camera manufacturer would know that this is likely to be an issue and therefore design the camera with minimum RF transmission properties, supply it with a shielded power cable, ferrite beads, make the camera case shielded etc? I guess you get what you pay for.

the camera is going to impact it regardless, no amount of shielding or ferrites are going to cure it, they can reduce the effect but not eliminate it completely

the camera is going to impact it regardless, no amount of shielding or ferrites are going to cure it, they can reduce the effect but not eliminate it completely
I guess it's going in the bin then, thanks Nextbase.

mount it away from the antenna and you will likely have no issue, its not a Nextbase issue, it's one of the challenges of DAB reception

Back