Any new "quality" cameras in the Works?

These action cams wouldn't make for great dashcams, wrong hardware for the job

I've used a GoPro Hero5 and a Garmin VIRB Elite. Both make great dash cams. The best feature is you can set them to 2fps instead of 30fps, and fit a lot more video on a card with better image quality per frame.

The downside of the GoPro is no GPS and no timestamp. There's also no control over ISO and shutter speed in timelapse mode. You CAN use normal video mode but the bitrate is so high that only a few hours fit on a 64gb microSD

I used my GoPro for a week or two when i had to RMA my dashcam and it was an inconvenient experience. GoPro's do not automatically start/stop the recording with the ignition or overwrite the oldest file so there was a lot of manual intervention required.

They do have brilliant video quality but lack features like speed, location, timestamp, G sensor, event record, auto on/off, auto overwrite.

GoPros shut off at a modest 51c so i highly doubt they will handle summer temps inside a car. They are designed to be used actively outdoors/underwater where cooling is not an issue.

Horses for courses.

The upcoming cams with STARVIS sensors is looking to be a good step forward in video quality.

The downside of the GoPro is no GPS and no timestamp. There's also no control over ISO and shutter speed in timelapse mode. You CAN use normal video mode but the bitrate is so high that only a few hours fit on a 64gb microSD

GP Hero5 Black HAS gps (the session not).

Our next camera will certainly be different and unique and like nothing done before. We'll be posting a blog tomorrow announcing a new small feature that hasn't been done or is available on the market at the moment.

We've also brought all the engineering in house into the UK and we're even looking at manufacturing it within the EU as well. Whilst this may not be revolutionary it will certainly improve a lot of areas.

Our next camera will certainly be different and unique and like nothing done before. We'll be posting a blog tomorrow announcing a new small feature that hasn't been done or is available on the market at the moment.

We've also brought all the engineering in house into the UK and we're even looking at manufacturing it within the EU as well. Whilst this may not be revolutionary it will certainly improve a lot of areas.

Looking forward to continuing with JooVuu sales & support :)

Our next camera will certainly be different and unique and like nothing done before

Why do that statement make me both nervous and exited at the same time.

I have the unique NX01 which is like nothing done before... But I doubt anyone will do it again!

We've actually simplified a lot. The announcement is only a tiny feature of the new dash camera. I'll go into more detail in the blog post :).

I used my GoPro for a week or two when i had to RMA my dashcam and it was an inconvenient experience. GoPro's do not automatically start/stop the recording with the ignition or overwrite the oldest file so there was a lot of manual intervention required.

They do have brilliant video quality but lack features like speed, location, timestamp, G sensor, event record, auto on/off, auto overwrite.

GoPros shut off at a modest 51c so i highly doubt they will handle summer temps inside a car. They are designed to be used actively outdoors/underwater where cooling is not an issue.

Exactly horses for course. As I said elsewhere, I find having to manually start the camera an advantage as it prevents incidences of non recording whereas with an auto start / stop camera, you get in and tend to presume it's recording thereby missing any failings. For me it's little of a problem as I'm fitting it anyway as I don't leave it in.

GoPro's were actually designed for all sports including motorsports, so aren't exclusively designed for outside use. That said, 51 Centigrade (124 Fahrenheit) in old money for people like me, maybe an issue for many a camera. Also, don't get me wrong with my previous posts, I'm not pushing GoPro. I just happen to be using a Hero 2, which I don't recommend simply because the quality isn't that great from a 2011 camera. The whole point overall, is there is some crossover between car cams and action cams, and equally some point that if some action cams can achieve greater picture quality in a compact format, then so can car cams especially when the cheap action cams fall into car cam money. Ultimately, which is best suited for you is a matter of personal choice.

Looking forward to this. My 3 friendly key words: bit rate, codec, lens quality. Get those right, and you'll probably not go far wrong. Also, something else to consider if cost constraints stop great glass being fitted - whether you can get a cheap lens for your purposes that's M12 threaded, and whether it's therefore worth fitting an M12 mount to allow users to choose to fit better glass should they want. It's not ideal to have to fit your own lens, but at least you give people the option if a mount is fitted.

Looking forward to this. My 3 friendly key words: bit rate, codec, lens quality. Get those right, and you'll probably not go far wrong. Also, something else to consider if cost constraints stop great glass being fitted - whether you can get a cheap lens for your purposes that's M12 threaded, and whether it's therefore worth fitting an M12 mount to allow users to choose to fit better glass should they want. It's not ideal to have to fit your own lens, but at least you give people the option if a mount is fitted.

That information we won't be releasing until much later on. What we'll release are features when we have implemented and tested them like the one today. The information around bitrate, codec, and lens quality won't be released for a while. Bitrates will be constantly changing and evolving, codecs if we release that information now what we are using for our hardware could be narrowed down, and lens quality is secret ;). As I said, what we will announce shortly is a tiny new feature that my guess is most people won't care about, we're saving our biggest for at least another month or two ;)

Horses for courses.

The upcoming cams with STARVIS sensors is looking to be a good step forward in video quality.

If you use time lapse mode the GoPro will last weeks so
GP Hero5 Black HAS gps (the session not).
Yes it has GPS but the GPS only gets stored in the exif of photos. You can't timestamp your video with GPS

That information we won't be releasing until much later on. What we'll release are features when we have implemented and tested them like the one today. The information around bitrate, codec, and lens quality won't be released for a while. Bitrates will be constantly changing and evolving, codecs if we release that information now what we are using for our hardware could be narrowed down, and lens quality is secret ;). As I said, what we will announce shortly is a tiny new feature that my guess is most people won't care about, we're saving our biggest for at least another month or two ;)
I've had my money's worth out of my 3 Mobius 1s, the one used in my bus has certainly paid for itself & the others many times over, over the past 5 years or so.
With this in mind, I'm starting to keep an eye on these boards for something new and exciting, basically, hoping for superior low light quality as well as a better chance of capturing those oncoming plates where approach speeds are higher.
I do hope that new and exciting means the unit will concentrate purely on being a dashcam & doing that job to the very best of its abilities without having loads of bells and whistles installed which will then compete for processing or battery power.
The success of the Mobius has always been its stealth combined with price & half decent tech, the downside, for me, has always been the flimsy, short, extension lens and not so good low light capabilities.

I wasn't fishing for information, just giving a few hints as to where to concentrate your efforts. BTW I PM'ed you on your own forums a while ago in case you haven't seen it.

Back