Any News on Video Quality Firmware Update?

AintLifeGarand

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Thinkware Dash Cam (or anyone else in the know!): Is there any news on when we may expect the firmware update to address the video quality on the Q800 Pro? Last known status was that it was a priority for them, but it would be helpful to know a general time frame (at least for me). Hoping they're further along in working on it to have a good idea of when to expect a release... :)

Thanks,
-ALG

i've completely lost faith in thinkware
their customer service is **** and they don't care about the people who buy their products
on top it seems with every new product their quality drops.

We've been assured that Thinkware HQ in South Korea is taking this matter seriously and will come out with a free firmware update that will increase video quality. We know we've said this before but hopefully, it will happen by the end of August.

i've completely lost faith in thinkware
their customer service is **** and they don't care about the people who buy their products
on top it seems with every new product their quality drops.

I'm sorry to hear that you feel their customer service is poor. It looks like you're based in Europe - perhaps @Maddog1974 or @Thinkware Dash Cam can help?

Thanks, BBMC. I have until middle of September for my return window. I really do love all the other features - parking mode, wifi access all work really well for me. Really wishing the video quality was better and hope I won't need to return for something else...

Thanks, BBMC. I have until middle of September for my return window. I really do love all the other features - parking mode, wifi access all work really well for me. Really wishing the video quality was better and hope I won't need to return for something else...

Was this ordered from us? If so, please send us a PM here and I'll happily see what we can do for you.

Was this ordered from us? If so, please send us a PM here and I'll happily see what we can do for you.

Many thanks for the offer! But no, I purchased locally specifically because I had a 45-day return window with them, giving me plenty of time to evaluate it...

We've been assured that Thinkware HQ in South Korea is taking this matter seriously and will come out with a free firmware update that will increase video quality. We know we've said this before but hopefully, it will happen by the end of August.

I'm sorry to hear that you feel their customer service is poor. It looks like you're based in Europe - perhaps @Maddog1974 or @Thinkware Dash Cam can help?

i always email korea, and in the past they did sometimes reply..

but they Completely ignore me when i raised the question about the infernal battery which in both my f770 & f750 died after 2.5 years...

but the worst is the poor quality of the Q800. i'm not even talking about video quality which is fine for me,
but they overheat very quickly , which both my f750 & f770 rarely ever did.

i should never have "upgraded"

This is the reply i get through thinkware UK:

We have spoken to our head office who have advised due to the hottest part of a car being just behind the rear view mirror when in heat and direct sunlight, it's quite possible although the outside temp will be around 28 degrees the part may have overheated internally and would usually be almost too hot to touch when overheating.

In this case as the devices are working when not exposed to the heat it would suggest it's an external factor causing the devices to exceed their normal operating temps and fail. I would suggest repositioning for the device not to be exposed to the heat.

they completely ignore the fact that the F750 & 770 have no issues at all, and i really don't know where else i should place the camera if not on the windshield????

baffled....

In this case as the devices are working when not exposed to the heat it would suggest it's an external factor causing the devices to exceed their normal operating temps and fail. I would suggest repositioning for the device not to be exposed to the heat.
maybe you can put it in your glovebox during summer, that should work :p

mount it outside that way the fresh air can cool it

@Thinkware Dash Cam (or anyone else in the know!): Is there any news on when we may expect the firmware update to address the video quality on the Q800 Pro? Last known status was that it was a priority for them, but it would be helpful to know a general time frame (at least for me). Hoping they're further along in working on it to have a good idea of when to expect a release... :)

Thanks,
-ALG
I do not own a thinkware dashcam and this is only my opinion. If this particular model is being reported of overheating by several other people including egonvdv, and if the manufacturer is already looking at modifying the firmware to fix the video quality, I am sure they really are scratching their heads hard to see how they will implement the solution knowing that increasing picture resolution means more chip set prossesing, therefore more heat being generated. Maybe they will lift the high temp threshold and let the unit run hotter? who knows. I'm not an engineer by any means but that came on ind.

from thinkware uk:

Hi Egon,
Thank you for your response, I'm sorry you feel this way.
As the devices are overheating I can only advise to return to the retailer the device was purchased from as this may be being caused by an internal fault. The devices are designed to function over 28 degrees so I can only think there is an internal component failure.

have returned them to amazon & reinstalled my trusty F750 & F770
Not sure what my next cam will be.
Mybe wait on the thinkware U1000, though at £529 (eur 560) this is hardly an option

Back