Any PowerBank users out there?

Also I was wondering about conditioning this Battery Bank. I have done one cycle of full charge, took it down to 5% (it starts flashing at 5%) then to 100%.

Is ONE full charging cycle enough to get it to full efficiency of should I repeat this process a few times?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well , 5% i think too low maybe just once in a while , i guess 20 % maybe better but not sure time will tell

I’m visiting some family right now and they have this video camera doorbell intercom outside of their house and the guy at RadioShack told us don’t use alkaline batteries use lithium AA batteries and It can handle the cold and sure enough it works even in -20 no problem
00cb6aae331d7d6f2b16e25906f519d5.heic

In Sask. we can easily get down to -35 or colder so I wouldn’t leave it in the car. Even fanbelts, hoses and brake components can break when it is that cold. The good thing is my underground Parkade never gets colder than about -15c and because it would be out of the wind (Canadians know a lot about how windchill can make all the difference) I wonder if an average of -10 to -15 would be bad for it?

I think heat is the real killer of batteries isn’t it? I know it would never accept a charge in extreme cold and that’s why people here use electric heated battery warmers on the car battery so there is cranking power and it accepts a charge right away also.

For a lithium battery, the real killer is charging below freezing, that results in a dangerous battery, keep it above 5C when charging. Charging above 45 C is also not good.
Discharge at -40C will not do any damage, although it may struggle to provide enough current, by -70C it will definitely struggle but still not get damaged. Maximum for discharge is around 80C but that just shortens the life, it's not dangerous.

Also I was wondering about conditioning this Battery Bank. I have done one cycle of full charge, took it down to 5% (it starts flashing at 5%) then to 100%.

Is ONE full charging cycle enough to get it to full efficiency of should I repeat this process a few times?

Lithium batteries do not need conditioning, keeping them full or empty is bad for them, they prefer 50%.

For a lithium battery, the real killer is charging below freezing, that results in a dangerous battery, keep it above 5C when charging.

Lithium batteries do not need conditioning, keeping them full or empty is bad for them, they prefer 50%.

K thanks, and ya I’ll only charge it in the house.

In 5 hours the cam dragged the Powerbank down to 92%.

Not bad at all as far as I’m concerned

Successfully using the 20,100 mAh battery bank now even into winter. Last night it was down to -19c outside (several degrees warmer in my Parkade) and no issues so far.

Living in Canada you learn about condensation on windows, etc when warm air meets cold, but is there any concern over the soldering points inside the battery rusting or possibly shorting out due to temp changes inside the aluminium housed battery pack?

I am currently double wrapping the power bank as it sits in my centre counsel of my car with a hand towel for installation

Doubt that there is much of an issue since it will generate a bit of heat in use and keep itself warm and dry. If you are taking it from the cold into the warm to charge then you should give it time to warm up and acclimatise anyway.

Maybe you should get a nitrogen filled powerbank just to be sure?

Doubt that there is much of an issue since it will generate a bit of heat in use and keep itself warm and dry. If you are taking it from the cold into the warm to charge then you should give it time to warm up and acclimatise anyway.

Maybe you should get a nitrogen filled powerbank just to be sure?

Nitrogen filled Powerbank?

Oh ya it’s allowed to warm up inside before charging

I’m visiting some family right now and they have this video camera doorbell intercom outside of their house and the guy at RadioShack told us don’t use alkaline batteries use lithium AA batteries and It can handle the cold and sure enough it works even in -20 no problem

Just wanted to point out that the batteries being referred to here are "primary" cells which cannot be recharged. They are the best ones for cold temps or long-term in-device storage and/or use. All alkaline batteries will corrode eventually with cheap ones doing that in as little as a few months. This is worst with cells which have been slightly used, then left in place unused afterward. Half as bad is to leave dead alkalines in place. As much as they are hyped, alkaline primary cells are only superior to heavy duty cells when used in devices that have low current requirements such as remote-controls, clocks, smoke detectors etc. In high current applications such as flashlights, motorized gadgets, and older radios you'll get more performance, longer runtimes, and lower costs with heavy-duty cells which are also far less prone to corrosion.

Phil

Back