Any Radio interference with the hardwire kit?

redrevis

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone comment on the hardwire kit causing radio interference after fitting? I know this can be a common problem, just wondered if anyone has come across it with the kit that comes with the 0906?

if the users pay less attention on price, I believe the factories can also produce high quality hardwire kits like the one for 0906.

I bought my 0906 from Combi on Saturday which included the hardwire kit and since having it professionally installed two days ago, I have noticed radio interference.

I was under the impression that I'd receive the "high quality" kits with it, but seemingly not.

some vehicle hide the radio antenna on the top of windshield so it is better to place the DC/DC box far away from the antenna.

I bought my 0906 from Combi on Saturday which included the hardwire kit and since having it professionally installed two days ago, I have noticed radio interference.

I was under the impression that I'd receive the "high quality" kits with it, but seemingly not.

Hmm this is what I was afraid of. Is it DAB radio it's interfering with or regular FM radio? Are you going to try to resolve it? The Ferrite Core Filters seems to be a relatively cheap way to try and help.

It's FM radio.

The DC/DC box is by my right knee next to one of the fuse boxes in the lower dash and the aerial is above the windshield in the centre-front of the roof.

Not being electrically competent, I'm not sure the cheapest effective way of fixing the problem. I will go back to the installer and see what he can come up with.

What is the actual difference between the high quality wiring kit and a standard one. Is it the cabling or the contents of the box? If only the box, substituting it shouldn't be a problem, even for me.

When is this quality kit due in the UK or is there a supplier I can buy it from now?

This user @speuk happen to access to this FM interference test,and he feedback that" I have replaced my 0806 with one of the 0906 using old power supply from 0806 and have no radio interference. So it will be easy to isolate the new hardwire kit as the problem if I experience interference after swapping power supplies." Maybe you can ask him to have a test it for you also!!

I haven't had a chance to test the latest hardwire kits from Rayman yet as they are still on their way. If you have a roof mounted aerial on the front of roof then the antenna lead will come down one of the A pillars, if your power lead follows the same route this may be the issue. Another common issue is coiling up surplus leads under the dash, check the install and undo any "coils" of excess cables. Also adding a ferrite bead at either end of power cable can help.

S.

Reactions: Aph
I have just installed one of the new hardwire kits and confirm that there is no radio interference on DAB or FM stations. I have tested while driving with quite music and voice and all seems 100% OK :)

I had mine installed with the old kit at the weekend and unfortunately it has affected DAB radio with stations going off and on a lot more and having no signal at all sometimes where they used to have it before. However it doesn't seem to be affecting FM radio.

What car do you have? I have a friend with an Audi S3 who has interference on DAB radio with his 0806.

It's a Seat Leon 2013. I may try the ferrite core filters, see if they help as they're cheap to buy anyway.

I had mine installed with the old kit at the weekend and unfortunately it has affected DAB radio with stations going off and on a lot more and having no signal at all sometimes where they used to have it before. However it doesn't seem to be affecting FM radio.
Just wonder what is the difference between DAB radio with CB radio,can you make me clear?

DAB is Digital Audio Broadcast, you don't have it there but it's very prone to interference issues

yes, DAB is not available here in China from many years before.
and because the DAB can't transmit a long distance like short wave FM, so the Chinese will never get a chance to try the high quality audio

yes, DAB is not available here in China from many years before.
and because the DAB can't transmit a long distance like short wave FM, so the Chinese will never get a chance to try the high quality audio

too many tall buildings in China make it hard to get good coverage

In the US AM stereo was tried and it does actually provide much better sound than FM while avoiding the mobile reception problems FM has. It wasn't widely promoted and it was expensive on both ends so it never caught on. I'm not sure of the future of terrestrial broadcasting as most people now find it easy and prefer to listen to their own selection of music instead. Reception problems are less critical with voice broadcasts when using the older technologies. Mixed-media radio seems to be gone now (at least here in the US) and that was my preference. We've become enamored of anything called 'digital' and most people have greater expectations of it than it might be able to provide. Given all the problems (tall buildings, multi-path signals, tunnels and bridges blocking satellites, etc) there will never be perfect mobile reception- it just isn't possible. And the huge increase of electronic devices with their inherent interference makes the possibilities even more remote.

As a life-long lover of radio in all it's forms I'm hugely sad that what I loved the most is gone forever as the world switches over to that is better for most people. I scan the airwaves from LF to UHF with little joy now. I almost never have the radio on in my vehicles these days, preferring silence or my Ham radio instead and even it doesn't see much use anymore. Oh for the old joy of pulling in a distant station and listening through the static to someone's viewpoint from far away and hearing music my local stations didn't play :D Well at least I had happiness once but nobody will ever have the chance and the joy I had ever again :( Enjoy The Silence ;)

Phil

Back