Any reason this camera won't work for me?

illshootfirst

Reaction score
Country
United States
I live in Texas and drive a 07 Yukon SUV. I drive 130 miles a day on a really busy, aggressive highway. I drive defensively so I have avoided many accidents that wouldn't have been my fault, but I know my days are numbered and I would like to document the situation as much as possible. I don't have unlimited funds (disabled vet with household full of kids, lol ) so I want to make sure I spend wisely. I am thinking of a A119s with GPS mount. Here is what I need, will this camera work? If not why not and what replacement should I consider:

1. Central Texas is hot!!!!!
  2. Do not want to remove camera and it will be hardwired.
  3. Want to be able to turn off speed on GPS, but have location data.
  4. Discreet not taking up much windshield space.
  5. Some driving in Dawn/Dusk so low/no light recording is needed.
  6. Parking mode not needed but cool.
  7. Rear Camera would be nice, but understand at this price range (less than $150) it is not really feasible. I understand a 2nd camera is best, but the parking assist would be nice as my vehicle is older so not built in.

I think that is it. I know the 119s is new so not fully tested by the masses, but the reviews I am reading are pleasant. Thanks in advance for replies.

Sounds like with the research you have done, you have found the perfect cam for your situation. I would go for it!

I also in Texas and have A119S few weeks.
Not sure that you can do #3, at least I didn't found
#5 plates will be hardly readable from more than 5 ft
#6 you will need to connect camera to permanent power as camera doesn't have battery (which is good for Texas :) )
#7 not exists in A119S

As with any cam choice you need to do your own research. I don't own an A119S but it is one of a very few cams I'd consider buying. It seems to be reliable with higher-end performance at a lower-end price. Viofo is listening to customer input and posting firmware updates often; definitely a good thing :) Right now some people are experiencing locked-screen issues which seem to be firmware-related but are user-fixable, and some are having issues with the GPS, which seems to be related to the mount. The firmware issue will almost certainly soon be handled in the next round of updates, but the GPS mount issues may be more trouble to handle and could possibly be something which never finds a reliable fix :( Viofo works hard to get it all right (which only a few other manufacturers do) but if the GPS problem is due to the design of the cam-mount interface the only fix might be a redesigned mount, cam, or both and I wouldn't expect a free fix for that. So if GPS function is critical for you then you might want to wait and see what happens with that before buying this cam. Even with the best cams, GPS can be dodgy with speed inaccuracies, inconsistent operation, and long start-up times so it is not a function I'd want to heavily rely on. Seen in that light I have no use for it and I can't fault the cam or Viofo if the current issues with this cam's GPS never get completely resolved. It's an excellent choice for you and for most people desiring a really good cam at a really good price :D

Phil

Sounds like with the research you have done, you have found the perfect cam for your situation. I would go for it!

Thanks I already pulled the trigger and ordered it yesterday for delivery tomorrow. Should have installed this weekend so Monday will be the test.

Thank you Gabacho!

I also in Texas and have A119S few weeks.
Not sure that you can do #3, at least I didn't found
#5 plates will be hardly readable from more than 5 ft
#6 you will need to connect camera to permanent power as camera doesn't have battery (which is good for Texas :) )
#7 not exists in A119S

Thanks none of those are a real deal breaker just things I wanted to know about or would like. Glad that the heat issue shouldn't be a huge problem.

As with any cam choice you need to do your own research. I don't own an A119S but it is one of a very few cams I'd consider buying. It seems to be reliable with higher-end performance at a lower-end price. Viofo is listening to customer input and posting firmware updates often; definitely a good thing :) Right now some people are experiencing locked-screen issues which seem to be firmware-related but are user-fixable, and some are having issues with the GPS, which seems to be related to the mount. The firmware issue will almost certainly soon be handled in the next round of updates, but the GPS mount issues may be more trouble to handle and could possibly be something which never finds a reliable fix :( Viofo works hard to get it all right (which only a few other manufacturers do) but if the GPS problem is due to the design of the cam-mount interface the only fix might be a redesigned mount, cam, or both and I wouldn't expect a free fix for that. So if GPS function is critical for you then you might want to wait and see what happens with that before buying this cam. Even with the best cams, GPS can be dodgy with speed inaccuracies, inconsistent operation, and long start-up times so it is not a function I'd want to heavily rely on. Seen in that light I have no use for it and I can't fault the cam or Viofo if the current issues with this cam's GPS never get completely resolved. It's an excellent choice for you and for most people desiring a really good cam at a really good price :D

Phil

Phil, That is good to read that the support from the manufacturer is there. I hope that with upcoming firmware releases a lot of the common issues are fixed. I know that the camera is relatively new so things will break and need to be broken before they are fixed. I don't care very much about the GPS, but I did like the fact that I can remove the camera much easier with the GPS mount as some days here it can get over 120+ in the sun and I don't need to leave the camera to cook in the sun. I just want something that will work decently until I decide if I want to buy something a bit more expensive. I hope to be able to post my experience and answer others questions.

Back