Any softtop users mounting rear cam EXTERNALLY?

Wheelr

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just ordered the Duo Pro w/no idea of if, where nor how I'll mount rear EXTERNALLY.
Reason: Rear plastic window would obscure everything.

If externally mounted, cam could also function as an back-up monitor.

One thought:
Wire several rear connection points. One mount location for Top-down and an external mount for when Top's-up

Anyone else? TIA

The A129 Pro is in no way water resistant and should only be mounted inside the car.
I'm aware of water ingress though genuinely appreciate the reminder.

To expound on my original riffing about two mount locations (easily movable)
1. an internal location when top down (just inside the tonneau cover)
2. an external location on fair-weather days, where the top may be UP (security

3rd option, a peek-hole in the softtop that would accommodate the lens. (top is old and have a new one but do not have the nerve to initiate such an endeavor w/o knowing others who were successful and satisfied with result )

Last edited:
I'm aware of water ingress though genuinely appreciate the reminder.

To expound on my original riffing about two mount locations (easily movable)
1. an internal location when top down (just inside the tonneau cover)
2. an external location on fair-weather days, where the top may be UP (security

3rd option, a peek-hole in the softtop that would accommodate the lens. (top is old and have a new one but do not have the nerve to initiate such an endeavor w/o knowing others who were successful and satisfied with result )
I wonder if you could use the Viofo MT1 Motorcycle cam for your circumstance; as it is water resistant...

in that situation I'd put the rear camera up front facing back, when the roof is up you don't get any decent picture through a plastic window anyway, top down the few feet of difference between mounting locations won't make that much of a difference and would save swapping things around all the time

While not perfect with a cloudy back window, some form of "Taxi/Uber" cam can get you a rearward view with the top down as well as seeing something of the sides toward the rear with the top up. If you're wanting to always get a clear view to the rear you'll need a waterproof cam at that location outside of the roofed area. Outside of motorcycle cams those are scarce in dashcams.

Phil

Back