Any way to disable GPS?

Trickfoot

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I have 2x DR900s installed between my two vehicles. My buddy, who's a judge, has brought up multiple times that I should have purchased cameras without GPS, or the function to remove/turn it off, because he sees a ton of cases where lawyers use the speed data to throw out cases against at fault drivers, for both being over and below the speed limit. I have the speed readout on footage disabled, but can not seem to find any way to turn off the gps feature/module.

Does anyone have any insight into how this can be achieved on this camera system specifically? It would seem like quite the oversight to not allow this, if it is indeed not currently possible.

Thanks in advance!

So if you are speeding then surely you are the 'at fault' driver and should have your case thrown out?

No, his point was that in a case against an at fault driver (you are the victim), he has seem many instances of the at fault driver's lawyers getting the case thrown out for the victim's recording showing that the victim was under or over the speed limit, regardless of margin. His point was that in any case where you are submitting the video as evidence, or the footage was confiscated to be used as evidence, having the GPS data embedded has in many cases worked against the victim, from his personal experience.

The victim should always consider using video as evidence... But shouldn't be a lawyer able to claim that a GPS module in dashcam is not specifically designed for speed measurement (not calibrated for such purpose), so the data can be all over the place? (i doubt the manufacturer will be proving how accurate his product is, how many satelites there was during the accident, etc...)

The victim should always consider using video as evidence... But shouldn't be a lawyer able to claim that a GPS module in dashcam is not specifically designed for speed measurement (not calibrated for such purpose), so the data can be all over the place? (i doubt the manufacturer will be proving how accurate his product is, how many satelites there was during the accident, etc...)

I'm willing to bet that the reason that doesn't work, is that once you start arguing against the precision or capabilities of your recording device, it's a slippery slope that will not work in your favor. That said, I am only going off of his experience overseeing these cases, I have no person experience. I would just rather be safe than sorry, and figure out how to disable the gps function.

I don't know how about in other countries but actually just a video(even from street cameras / police car with only a camera) is not usable as evidence of speeding. (verified in court) Basicaly for same reason as i've mentioned in case of "non-calibrated" GPS.

I'm willing to bet that the reason that doesn't work, is that once you start arguing against the precision or capabilities of your recording device, it's a slippery slope that will not work in your favor. That said, I am only going off of his experience overseeing these cases, I have no person experience. I would just rather be safe than sorry, and figure out how to disable the gps function.
Sure, get it.

...I would just rather be safe than sorry, and figure out how to disable the gps function.
As @jokiin said GPS is not necessary to determine speed - if there's video there is sufficient information to determine your speed with little effort using nothing but the video itself. Here's an example:

So I take it that's a no on being able to turn off, or disable gps tracking on the dr900s?

Your exact speed can always be determined by the video alone as the time it cake you to cover some distance you can go measure out.
So if speed are a issue you should not be filming at all, if speed are something "they" want to use, they are probably going to ignore the GPS speed, but go measure that the "72" yards from X lamppost in the video to Y sign you made in xx seconds, that add up to so and so undeniable speed.
And the only way to throw that to the side is to prove the recorder do not record at a irregular number of FPS, and even then i am not sure the video evidence are dismiss able.

And even if you are a little over the limit, then most things that might happen you cant argue with no shadow of a doubt that those few MPH make you to blame for what happen in a accident.

If some one run a red light into the side of your can, and at the time you do 33 MPH in a 30 MPH Zone, at least to me it would be insane to say " well if you had not done the increased speed you would not have reached the point in time where the red light runner would hit your car"
And so it would be your own fault you was hit and the other will only be charged with running a red light.

I think most courts will not tolerate the GPS speed of a consumer devise like a dashcam, but the video itself should be another matter as tampering with it leave a trace that will be detected.

Does not really matter, if someone really did something wrong, they could always subpoena your cell phone data. Every phone has a GPS and most people carry them with them 24/7. It's an easy way for police to find missing persons, kidnappers, sex offenders, drug dealers, suspected thieves, and yes even speeders if they cared to.

Back