Any way to test power all the way to the connector?

olivercfc

Reaction score
Country
United States
I hardwired a Viofo A119 into my truck fuse box using an add-a-fuse and the hardwire kit but I'm not getting any power to the dashcam.

The add-a-fuse is using the "12v power point" fuse bay and that still has power (and I can power the dashcam from it) but the second circuit - the one directly to the dashcam - is not working.

If I remove the cover off the little 'power box' on the hardwire kit I'm getting 12v so I assume this means it has to be a problem between the USB connector and the power box. Is there any way to test this without splicing the cable?

What Hardwire Kit do you use?
You measured the voltage at the input to the 'power box', now you need to measure the voltage at the output from it, there should be 5 volts (this is the place on the board where the wires from the cable with the mini-USB on the other end are soldered). The problem is most quickly in the 'power box' itself, and not in the cable. Check it out first.

What Hardwire Kit do you use?
You measured the voltage at the input to the 'power box', now you need to measure the voltage at the output from it, there should be 5 volts (this is the place on the board where the wires from the cable with the mini-USB on the other end are soldered). The problem is most quickly in the 'power box' itself, and not in the cable. Check it out first.
Per my amazon order history, this is the h/w kit
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00MH4ZVHO
and this is how I added it to the fuse box (existing fuse was 20a and I added a 15a for the dashcam)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B06XPH1GW3
So... 12v in and 5v out. I'll check it out and report back (although I'm away from home until tomorrow)

Thanks

I guess it must be the hardwire kit that's bad.
I get 12v in and 12v out. Just to make sure I'm not doing anything dumb (and I am a novice at this) I've got my multimeter set to 20DCV, the black probe is on the car chassis and the red probe touches the red wire in the "in" side of the box and then the red wire on the "out" side

Would too much voltage stop the dashcam from turning on? Maybe I'm lucky it didn't fry it.

You'd be lucky if the cam didn't get fried. Test it at home with a phone charger or powerbank to be sure the cam is OK, and do a warranty return on the HWK. SpyTec are very good to work with and they will get you sorted out quickly (y)

Phil

Thanks all. Since I'm a supreme procrastinator it's been well over a year since I bought the kit so I won't be returning it anyway :)

The dashcam itself works fine using the cigarette lighter power source so no worries on that.

Back