Any1 tried 512GB or 400GB sd card with Viofo A119 V3

ChipsChicky

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi ... just wondering if any1 has used 512GB or 400GB sd card with viofo A119 V3 ??? I know the manual says 256GB but just in case.
I currently have 128GB card which gives me 8 to 10 hours of footage.

I just tried the SanDisk Ultra 200GB and it does not work ("Memory error"). You can get it running by creating a 128 GB primary partition on it and formatting this with fat32 (mkfs.vfat).

I just tried the SanDisk Ultra 200GB and it does not work ("Memory error"). You can get it running by creating a 128 GB primary partition on it and formatting this with fat32 (mkfs.vfat).
up to 256GB all you needed to do was format in the camera, no need to create partitions

formatting in the cam results in "memory error" as well.

Hi there,

I just did what you suggested:
format.PNG
I then inserted the card into the camera gives "Memory error" again. Also I doubt that your suggestion can work as SD formatter formats the card as exFAT, I think the camera expects fat32.
Trying to format the card in the camera gives "Memory error" as well. Only solution so far is to create the 128 GB partition and format it with fat32.

What do you think?

Camera formats the card FAT32, SDformatter formats exFAT, that's the expected result, plenty of users are running 256GB cards that have been formatted in the camera successfully, that just suggests that there is a problem with your memory card/formatting

Allright, so we can conclude that the firmware cannot handle the SanDisk with 200 GB capacity/183 GB partition, maybe viofo did not add support for cards with odd sizes between 128GB and 256GB.

sandisk_200gb_card.jpg

formatting in the cam results in "memory error" as well.

Did you first delete your partition table? Perhaps the error was due to your 128GB partition existing on the 200GB card? Try deleting the partition table and then formatting it inside of the camera.

Last edited:
Did you first delete your partition table? Perhaps the error was due to your 128GB partition existing on the 200GB card? Try deleting the partition table and then formatting it inside of the camera.

Looks from the above that he’s already tried that?

yeah, sd card formatter wiped the whole card clean including partition table et al.

Allright, so we can conclude that the firmware cannot handle the SanDisk with 200 GB capacity/183 GB partition, maybe viofo did not add support for cards with odd sizes between 128GB and 256GB.

View attachment 51290
I just bought this same SD card :s and have the same memory error. Hopefully can make it work by formatting it...

I've just upgraded to the SanDisk MAX Endurance 256GB (SDSQQVR-256G-AN6IA), which are rated for 120,000 hours of write time (more than 13 years). I'm sure my camera will die well before then. Previously I have been using the Samsung PRO Endurance 128GB (MB-MJ128GA-AM), which have not let me down either. I've used those since 2017, and have had no file corruptions, no disk corruptions, and no disk failures. The Samsung is rated for 43,800 hours of continuous write (more than 5 years).

Either would be a good choice.

Avoid "value" and "performance" cards. Value cards are meant for extremely light usage and are not durable to hold up to continued writes. They are more prone to bit flip errors on the disk, causing potential file corruption and filesystem corruption. Performance cards are not good for dashcams, as they're designed for burstable high speed writes, but not for sustained 24/7 writes. Both value and performance cards lack durability for constant 24/7 writing.

Of what is available today, I would suggest only Sandisk MAX Endurance or Samsung PRO Endurance cards. Also be warned there are lots of counterfeits of these brands on places like Amazon and eBay. It's best to buy them from SanDisk and Samsung's website directly.

Of what is available today, I would suggest only Sandisk MAX Endurance or Samsung PRO Endurance cards. Also be warned there are lots of counterfeits of these brands on places like Amazon and eBay. It's best to buy them from SanDisk and Samsung's website directly.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been using a 128GB Samsung EVO Select for the past couple of years. At first I used it in a Mobius and after the Mobius died I've been using it in the A119 V3. I noticed during the past couple of weeks that the camera would sometimes randomly stop recording for no apparent reason, even while driving. Manually pressing the record button would start recording again with no issue.

Just for testing purposes, I switched the memory card to an old 32GB SanDisk Ultra and the random stopping didn't happen anymore. I re-formatted the Samsung EVO Select using SDformatter, then formatted it in-camera and I'm still testing it to see if the random stopping returns. Anyways, might be the Samsung EVO's last legs so I'll be sure to try the Samsung PRO Endurance next...

Back