Anyone else received this message from Gearbest.com

richcam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
2x0801, 0806 (broken), Mobius 1, Mobius 2, Auto-Vox B60
Just wondered whether anyone else has received this message in their inbox from Gearbest.com which I assume is spam under the guise of reviewing their products - I think dashcamtalk.com admin ought to have a word in their ear not to spam users on this site.

TITLE: Review Inquiry, Sponsored by Gearbest.com

Dear Admin,

This is Lindell, a lovely girl from Gearbest. We are one of the largest online retailer in China offering high quality hottest, coolest gear at amazing prices, especially car electronics and action cameras.

If you are interested in writing product reviews or sharing custom deals of our products for your community. please let me know. We will be happy to work with you, and send you sample products for free.

Best,
Lindell

Credibility and any objectivity then will be gone for good.

No Kidding!, but who do you think sponsors so many of the reviews of free cameras we see here on DCT? While not the only one, Gearbest is one of the primary sponsors of these sort of reviews on this site and on countless other special interest forums across the internet. Turning willing forum members into what I've come to think of as serial "Review Whores" by regularly supplying willing individuals with free merchandise is one of their primary marketing techniques. Obviously, handing out thousands of dollars worth of free dash cams, IP cameras, GPS units or whatever for "reviews" by members of numerous internet forums must be worth the investment or they wouldn't do it.

The notion that "amateur" reviewers on an internet forums reviewing free merchandise are being objective is essentially a cynical joke even when the "reviewer" finds a fault or two with the particular item. This is especially so here on DashCamTalk where product links are permitted and even encouraged in reviews. It is basically proxy spamming.

Last edited:
No Kidding!, but who do you think sponsors so many of the reviews of free cameras we see here on DCT? While not the only one, Gearbest is one of the primary sponsors of these sort of reviews on this site and on countless other special interest forums across the internet. Turning willing forum members into what I've come to think of as serial "Review Whores" by regularly supplying willing individuals with free merchandise is one of their primary marketing techniques. Obviously, handing out thousands of dollars worth of free dash cams, IP cameras, GPS units or whatever for "reviews" by members of numerous internet forums must be worth the investment or they wouldn't do it

The notion that "amateur" reviewers on an internet forums reviewing free merchandise are being objective is essentially a cynical joke even when the "reviewer" finds a fault or two with the particular item. This is especially so here on DashCamTalk where product links are permitted and even encouraged in reviews. It is basically proxy spamming.
Prostitution of one's integrity is never acceptable.

Having spent good money on questionable chinese stuff online, before, I'm happy to get it for free.
:)

If they want to buy me off, I'm not cheap. A nice condo on Hainan, or a nice house in Guilin, would be a start.

I haven't heard of any other complaints of users getting spammed in their Dashcamtalk inboxes. If it is more than a "one-off" incident, I will have a word with "Lindell".

It certainly happens. I don't think I would consider it spamming though. I've had some contact on a couple of occasions and was asked at one time whether I could recommend other forums where people might be interested in reviewing a different category of products than dash cams. I've assumed that quite a few DCT members are contacted in this manner but I don't know beyond members who have mentioned this to me privately.

GBsolictation.png

Everyone is trying to grow their business however they think they can.
Seriously guys, why the hell you post private emails in public forum?
If you are not interested, reply them back and the email should stop.
It's not spam just because you didn't expect that email.
Do some research on what is spam. If you get email specifically for you for a specific product from someone who's known here, it's not spam.
Just giving hint is enough if you really have to discuss in public.

Now post some of other personal emails that are more fun.

Last edited:
Everyone is trying to grow their business however they think they can.
Seriously guys, why the hell you post private emails in public forum? If you are not interested, reply them back.
Just giving hint is enough if you really have to discuss in public.

Now post some of other personal emails that are more fun.

These emails happen to be the subject of this discussion.
I would agree that publicly revealing an individuals name is not appropriate which is why I've redacted the name but otherwise posting such messages from a retailer offering free merchandise to members in return for something is fair game.
Growing a business is one thing, the ethics of how one goes about it are another.

These emails happen to be the subject of this discussion.
I would agree that publicly revealing an individuals name is not appropriate which is why I've redacted the name but otherwise posting such messages from a retailer offering free merchandise to members in return for something is fair game.
Growing a business is one thing, the ethics of how one goes about it are another.
That's fine but those who question other's ethic also should look at themselves.
Really, this just tells someone's moral stand when they reveal personal emails in public and also jump to degrade others whenever there is a chance.
Just because someone posts a subject doesn't mean those who are better need to add insult to injury.

Sending samples for review is nothing new, not spam and happens all over all the time from amazon to techmoan.
If you are not interested, reply them.
This post just makes it look bad for something that should be treated as normal.

Last edited:
Firstly, we're not talking "personal" emails here, we're talking business emails from a large retailer regarding product promotion.

I get that as the recipient of perhaps the largest collection of free merchandise on DCT you feel defensive about this subject.

The issue at stake here is that some of us who have been around DCT for quite some time have watched this forum devolving into a marketing free-for-all to the point where it is losing its credibility. Most special interest forums I've participated in for two decades would never allow what goes on here regarding the level of product promotion and proxy spamming that we have. Most forums have a dedicated review section that forbids links or advertising but not here. Here we are subject to product promotions at every turn.

Last edited:
@Dashmellow I know you want to win every argument from reading your posts and you do have great arguments most of the time but sometimes I just end the replies as it'd drag on and on.

You may have some idea on how many different brands I have reviewed here since you are also pretty regular here so it's not that I'm being defensive here for one retailer.
It's just the matter that this thread is portraying asking review is bad.
No it's not and simple answer is if you don't like to review, simply reply that you don't want to review for whatever is the reason.
I've denied few product review requests due to the product quality, hardware, seller etc... that I didn't feel will be worth my time.
All reviews I do for free samples are mentioned so in the thread so it's not like I'm making up fake reviews just because they are free.

Go check Techmoan's reviews. I think he may have bought one product and 100's rest are all free samples.
If you have problems with the way this site works and doesn't block product promotion, that's not your call.
Take it to the admin via PM, not a public post suggesting they did something really bad.

Looks like people really need to think before typing.

Last edited:
Techmoan is a professional product reviewer with a dedicated review site. He personally makes a lot of money from it. People like you get a free dash cam.

Obviously DashCamMan can do whatever he wants here. It's his site. I'm just expressing my opinion in a public forum which, at least as things stand for the moment, I have a right to do. Of course, I'm not the only one who feels the way I do about this subject. I happen to know that quite a number of former members are no longer around because they were unhappy about the same concerns. It's not that that people shouldn't do reviews or vendors shouldn't hawk their wares. It is a question of balance. Unfortunately, that balance has tilted too far and continues to do so. DCT is no longer really an enthusiast site, it's now more of a marketing site and being bombarded with countless product reviews with purchase links is just part of the phenomenon. Like I've said, retailers are aggressively handing out thousands of dollars worth of free cameras for review because it is a marketing technique and amateurs who do these reviews for free cameras are essentially doing the marketing for what amounts to very low pay compared with what other forms of advertising cost merchandisers.

BTW, I do think before typing my friend, even if you don't like or agree with what I say.

Last edited:
Like I said you won't stop unless you're the last poster and I have nothing against you so I'll just have to disagree to disagree.

If you make provocative remarks like "people really need to think before typing", or make statements I disagree with, I will respond. It's not a question of who is the last poster. In any event this is hardly an "argument" that can be won or lost here in this thread, I'm just expressing my opinion. You are certainly entitled to express yours.

Dear all,

How have you been these days? This is Sunny speaking!:p

I am so sorry for all that things. On behalf of Gearbest, I would like to extend my sincerest apologies to you for disturbing. As I am too busy these days to deal with the DCT work, I ask Lindel, a girl just graduated from university last month, to take over my job here. She was just scared out when saw this thread and told me that she don't know what to do now, as she would never spam any of you guy, but just invited who she think maybe professional on dashcam review or lovers.

As I used to say, Gearbest here is just providing you guys our best service, including the new announced product information, best product, price, pre-sale、in-sale 、and after-sale services and so on. If people want to know if it's a good option and how it works, also we are very happy to send new product out to some professional guys to review it for free. The reviewers, we never ask them that they would just write or speak the positive words, but to be faithful. If there would be any problem, then we can discuss on it and solve it. No quality problems should be hidden. And that's what we do here. So if there is anything you need help with Gearbest, pls just PM or Email Lindell@gearbest.com and we will try our best to help as before. And I've told Lindell that there will be no PM review Inquiry in the future. Also thank you those who know us :)

Wish you a nice day.

Best,
Sunny

I buy approx 19 out of every 20 devices I review. Whenever a review sample of a product has been provided by a manufacturer (I don't take products from resellers as I don't want to be tied into a specific source) I always explain that it has been supplied by the manufacturer. See my recent review of the Nautilus camera for an example of a camera that I really hoped would be a home run, but turned out to be less than perfect and was shown to be so in the review - and it isn't in my recommended cameras list.
There's no way could afford to buy all the more expensive cameras I review (like the Vicovation range) however sometimes I can get enough money together to buy some of these devices.
The Sony 4K action camera is something I've wanted to test for a while - Sony got in touch and offered me a loaner (after Tony Hawk had finished shooting with it) - but I declined as it meant I wouldn't have enough time with the camera. I've since bought one in the Amazon Prime anniversary sale and I've just come back from a two weeks holiday where I shot some footage. I've already noticed that some of the decals have worn off the camera body whilst carrying it in my pocket - there's no way that would have been noticed with a loaner cam.
Long story short - every review should explain if a camera was provided free of charge. Most manufacturers who are worth their salt will be appreciative of constructive feedback, and companies like Belkin, Philips and Sony have responded positively to any criticism I've made of their products in my reviews and in many cases improved future devices as a result.
Top Gear don't buy the cars they review, What HiFi or Home Cinema Choice review loaner equipment. Youtube and web reviews are the first time in history you've been able to get honest reviews from people who have purchased the things they review and who really don't have anything to lose by telling the truth. Any manufacturer willing to send their devices to some random chap on the internet must be pretty confident in the performance of their products...because once a negative review is out, there is little they can do to suppress it.

I have been approached a couple of times by ppl in here to test out cameras, but i have had to turn them down as i dont feel like i could do a good job, though a fjew ppl in here have set a good standart for how a review should be done.
I just consider myself a dedicated user of dashcams, and there is ppl in where that have a much larger catalog of experiences and knowlege to draw upon.
Allso beeing as poor as i am mean i dont drive my car much, and so it's hard to accumulate footage under real dashcam circumstances.

Though working on the x cam, i am starting to think maybe it would be more easy to just write a review :) i think in the first week with the x -cam i was "working" with it for 3-4-5 houres at least every day, and i dont dare to think about how many houres i have used untill today.
But if iw was a well paying job i would be able to buy myself a little somthing, or not dive into my savings to make ends meet every month like i do now.

But i do like to be a part of this development process, much more rewarding for me than making a review. :cool:

But i do like to be a part of this development process, much more rewarding for me than making a review
I do too. I wish I could help out a little more in this respect and make more of a difference. It is nice to be able to do it with the X cam and I hope to do it more often. I try to be as objective as possible, and have no problem making something I don't like a point.

For instance the low bit rate on the Garmin camera I looked at earlier, or my many mount complaints on the G90, and the hacked together mounts I have done for the G95A that should have come from the factory

I would love to be able to get in on the ground floor a little and be able to keep things like this from happening.

Back