Anyone else seeing an occasional ~3 second gap between recordings?

creedcooking

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just noticed the gap now that something happened to occur within that gap - so I don't have the footage. :mad: It seems to produce the gap every ~6 files on average (2 min per file for me).

You can tell it's happening if you note down the starting timestamp of a (long?) drive and compare it to later files. They should all start at the same second (ie. 11:34:52, 11:36:52, 11:38:52) but this issue would mean a later file starts at HH:mm:55. My latest drive is missing 15 seconds in total.

Is this a known issue?

My cam already has the latest firmware (V2.1) so I'm hoping Viofo is aware and can fix this in an update.

While waiting for a RPLY i would test that memory card to see if it is up to specs, there was a guy not long ago that had a perfectely fine new brand memory card suddenly drop significant in read / write speed, and it took a few full formats with SDformatter to get the card back up to speed.

Something are indeed fishy with a gap like that.

The current card is a 128GB Samsung PRO Endurance that I last formatted 3 months ago. Tested it just now with CrystalDiskMark and the sequential performance is 97MB/s read and 45MB/s write.

I doubt the card is the culprit, but I will order a 128GB SanDisk Max Endurance and see if that improves things.

The current card is a 128GB Samsung PRO Endurance that I last formatted 3 months ago. Tested it just now with CrystalDiskMark and the sequential performance is 97MB/s read and 45MB/s write.

I doubt the card is the culprit, but I will order a 128GB SanDisk Max Endurance and see if that improves things.
I would definitely try a low-level format with SDFormatter before investing in a new card - or to have a backup if you've already ordered. At least then every cell on the card will be verified and you'll know for sure whether it's good or bad. Also, check any new card with h2testw for the same reason.

Reactions: Mtz
Use SDFormatter, but be sure to format card back to Fat32 before placing back in the camera.

Use SDFormatter, but be sure to format card back to Fat32 before placing back in the camera.
Isn't it best to format card back to Fat32 in camera rather than the computer?
I normally do an occasional low level format using SD Card Formater in my computer then I always perform a final formatting using the camera Formater. Fewer chances of running in to problems like this.

Correct - assuming the camera has the ability to recognize and reformat a non-FAT32 card. I generally don't think to mention it 'cause it's part of my routine that's automatic and done nearly sub-consciously.

I normally do an occasional low level format using SD Card Formater in my computer then I always perform a final formatting using the camera Formater. Fewer chances of running in to problems like this.
If i recall it correctly, since fw v1.7T, A129Pro will format card to exFAT.

If i recall it correctly, since fw v1.7T, A129Pro will format card to exFAT.
I think you are correct.
I let the camera to make that decision, assuming camera knows what it likes best.

It seems the camera may not always format to Fat32, which will cause issues. Best to check.

It seems the camera may not always format to Fat32, which will cause issues. Best to check.
Will check what my camera format is been formatting to, as well to review the footage for possible errors.
I know the audible beep beep warnings where disabled in recent firmware updates, so now we can't tell when camera encounters a hiccup with the memory unless we digg in the footage for it.

For all my cards in all my cams, here's my 100% trouble-free approach to be done at least every couple months or on suspicion of card problems:

1- SD formatter full overwrite
2- h2testw full overwrite
3- set card to fat32 using freeware as Windows can't do this with larger cards.
4- format card in cam
5- shut down and restart cam looking for normal boot-up and operation

If I'm working with a card which has recently been put through this routine I omit the first two steps. Works with every card and every cam. The few cams which like EXFAT on larger cards will do that by themselves at #4, but some cams don't like doing the reverse so I always start with fat32.

This can take quite some time on my slow old laptop so I do #2 overnight or in the background.

Phil

Will check what my camera format is been formatting to, as well to review the footage for possible errors.
I know the audible beep beep warnings where disabled in recent firmware updates, so now we can't tell when camera encounters a hiccup with the memory unless we digg in the footage for it.
I just checked my sd card from my a129 pro for missing files or errors as well as formatting. I can confirm my cam is formatting to FAT32 and no missing portions on the entire recordings.
Currently running on the latest firmware version (V2.1)

Is there a link or video tutorial showing step by step how to use and perform the h2testw and SDFormatter procedures properly For an SD Card? Thanks

Is there a link or video tutorial showing step by step how to use and perform the h2testw and SDFormatter procedures properly For an SD Card? Thanks
None that I've seen and the reality is it's not necessary. Both programs are single function and standalone so there's not much you can do wrong. Just fire them up and follow the very minimal on-screen prompts/directions.

h2testw has a 'read.me' file that explains everything and SDFormatter has a 'Help' option that does the same.

Last edited:
Both easy to use, but h2testw needs you to select either English or German language. After that you'll see the checkbox for full test w/overwrite; it's the only checkbox and normally unchecked. If the numbers given at the end of the test is very close to the listed card size and there are no other error messages then the card is good.

SDformatter is similar, just one checkbox to do a format with overwrite instead of a simple formattibng. Nothing you can do with either program can harm your card so go for it (y)

Phil

For all my cards in all my cams, here's my 100% trouble-free approach to be done at least every couple months or on suspicion of card problems:

1- SD formatter full overwrite
2- h2testw full overwrite
3- set card to fat32 using freeware as Windows can't do this with larger cards.
4- format card in cam
5- shut down and restart cam looking for normal boot-up and operation

If I'm working with a card which has recently been put through this routine I omit the first two steps. Works with every card and every cam. The few cams which like EXFAT on larger cards will do that by themselves at #4, but some cams don't like doing the reverse so I always start with fat32.

This can take quite some time on my slow old laptop so I do #2 overnight or in the background.

Phil
Did these steps and looks like I haven't gotten a gap yet, thanks :)
Did they explain why they removed the beep beep warnings? Seems like important information to tell the user.

Did these steps and looks like I haven't gotten a gap yet, thanks :)

Did they explain why they removed the beep beep warnings? Seems like important information to tell the user.
To my knowledge they didn't. I don't think they removed all but some of us have noticed in the past that the camera continued doing the same behavior but with out any audible warnings and only those who would check their footage regularly would notice.
Not sure if the issue has been resolved in the most recent firmware version since it is been a while since I have had any issues.

Sorry for the necropost, but I'm struggling with this exact issue on my A129 Pro and am at my wits end. Thought it would be better than making a new thread. I've tried reformatting SD card, different SD cards (including high endurance ones), changing the powersource (including to external powerbank), updating firmware, changing the power input (dashcam v. gps module). Literally nothing works.

I get random 3-4 second skips in my footage with the double beep. Has anyone been able to resolve this issue? I also see discussions of it in the A129 Pro firmware thread, which suggests some sort of intrinsic hardware issue. I've found the beeps tend to occur in 'complex' environments (e.g. lots of trees) where there is presumerably a lot for the camera to render.

Again, really hoping someone here has been able to fix it - while the skips may not be an issue for most people, for me who runs a driving YouTube channel using the dashcam, it is unacceptable.

I've also updated the firmware from v1.1 to v2 - I'm still getting the skips, but no longer any beeps. Almost as if Viofo is trying to hide this issue. Starting to look like a dodgy company...

Back