Anyone elses A129 Pro turns off during parking mode?

For me even rear cam triggers recording by motion just fine, FW 1.1

I have left the cameras on two powerbanks(one charging the other) in buffered parking mode for 28 hours(1 hour was driving actually without charging) and everything worked as expected.Is first time when I used the parking mode,I just wanted to test my powerbanks capacity.

LE:Sorry,I forgot to mention that the rear camera doesn't trigger on motion detection even on high setting and waving my hand in front of it.Front camera motion trigger is perfectly fine..Firmware V1.2ACC.T
2K 60fps + FHD 30fps
Temperature in garage was 20ºC,front camera is really hot but it not shuts down.
Can you test the rear cam motion detection in 1 to 3 meters distance?

Hey guys,

I have tested 4K + FHD and it lasts for 40 minutes with auto event detection before shutting down.
I then tested FHD + FHD and it lasted 1.5 hours before shutting down.

If I test it in the shade, it doesn't shut down at all and can last 24 hours+.

I am using a Samsung Pro Endurance 128GB Micro SD Card.

Does this sound right to you @viofo that the dash cam can only last 1.5 hours in the sun with auto event detection in FHD + FHD? It started recording at 7:30am and turned off at 9am so wasn't even in the hottest part of the day yet.

Hey guys,

I have tested 4K + FHD and it lasts for 40 minutes with auto event detection before shutting down.
I then tested FHD + FHD and it lasted 1.5 hours before shutting down.

If I test it in the shade, it doesn't shut down at all and can last 24 hours+.

I am using a Samsung Pro Endurance 128GB Micro SD Card.

Does this sound right to you @viofo that the dash cam can only last 1.5 hours in the sun with auto event detection in FHD + FHD? It started recording at 7:30am and turned off at 9am so wasn't even in the hottest part of the day yet.
There are going to be huge differences in those numbers depending on the air temperature, the strength of the sun, how much ventilation it has (leave the window slightly open), etc.

The 40 minutes / 1.5 hours will be determined mainly by how quickly your car heats up, and that will change a lot depending on what the maximum is going to be and how much shade you have. The difference is reasonable, the FHD + FHD only has 40% of the pixels, and 40 minutes is 44% of 1.5 hours, but the more shade you have or the lower the air temperature, the bigger the difference will become.

So far we are only seeing reports of shutdowns from Australia, clearly Australia is very hot compared to other places!
What it your air temperature at the moment? (I could look up the weather forecast, but your location of "Australia" covers a huge range of day air temperatures!)

There are going to be huge differences in those numbers depending on the air temperature, the strength of the sun, how much ventilation it has (leave the window slightly open), etc.

The 40 minutes / 1.5 hours will be determined mainly by how quickly your car heats up, and that will change a lot depending on what the maximum is going to be and how much shade you have. The difference is reasonable, the FHD + FHD only has 40% of the pixels, and 40 minutes is 44% of 1.5 hours, but the more shade you have or the lower the air temperature, the bigger the difference will become.

So far we are only seeing reports of shutdowns from Australia, clearly Australia is very hot compared to other places!
What it your air temperature at the moment? (I could look up the weather forecast, but your location of "Australia" covers a huge range of day air temperatures!)
Shutdowns in Malaysia too. Lol. Mine do shutdowns during high temp under the sun.

Looking forward for the new firmware by @viofo where the fps will be lowered to 10. Do hope that it helps as i do always park in the public during daytime. Thus shutting down due to heat will render the parking mode useless.

Peak temperature is only about 30 degrees celcius at the moment. In the middle of summer it gets to nearly 40 degrees...

My old DR650S-2CH never had issues with shutting down. The seller I bought my unit off offered me a new unit to try out - do you guys think I should? Just to eliminate the possibility that my unit is faulty?

Can you test the rear cam motion detection in 1 to 3 meters distance?
I've already tried that yesterday...1 to 5 meters distance,also waving my hand 20cm from rear camera,no trigger..

Peak temperature is only about 30 degrees celcius at the moment. In the middle of summer it gets to nearly 40 degrees...

My old DR650S-2CH never had issues with shutting down. The seller I bought my unit off offered me a new unit to try out - do you guys think I should? Just to eliminate the possibility that my unit is faulty?
The DR650S is not 4K so would have a much easier time with high temperatures, only a quarter of the pixels to deal with on the front camera.

I think Viofo may have set a fairly low cutoff temperature to ensure long term reliability, but 30 degree outdoor temperature could easily build up to 90 degrees inside the car near the roof in 1.5 hours if the car is in sunshine, especially with a dark coloured car, and it would be sensible to set a high temperature cut off a fair amount lower than 90 degrees.

The seller I bought my unit off offered me a new unit to try out - do you guys think I should? Just to eliminate the possibility that my unit is faulty?
I think it would be wise to talk to Viofo support first, I think there is much more chance of solving the issue with a firmware update than a camera update. Originally they thought the reduction to 10fps in event buffered parking mode would not be necessary, and that was based on feedback from summer in places like Arizona. Now following the feedback from you and others it looks like it will be changed, maybe the cutoff temperature can also be increased, or they may have other solutions. Clearly testing in a temperature controlled oven in Shenzhen is not the same as testing in a car in summer in Oz, feedback is necessary.

I think Viofo may have set a fairly low cutoff temperature to ensure long term reliability, but 30 degree outdoor temperature could easily build up to 90 degrees inside the car near the roof in 1.5 hours if the car is in sunshine, especially with a dark coloured car, and it would be sensible to set a high temperature cut off a fair amount lower than 90 degrees.
check your memory card, they're generally rated to +85°C at best

I realise sometimes after driving for awhile (more than 30mins) the dashcam can be very warm to touch. With the contribution of the heat from previous driving the dashcam will just shutdown after parking under the sun for another half and hour to 45 mins.

I do believe that having a heatsink there could be great when there’s air circulation to remove the heat from the fins / metals. However when the car is sitting there under hot sun without air circulation could lead to faster heat soak (contribution from post driving + heat from the sun in an enclosed area) thus shutting down the dashcam. (Probably a tiny mini fan will be able to get the problem solved) LOL.

I've already tried that yesterday...1 to 5 meters distance,also waving my hand 20cm from rear camera,no trigger..
@viofo Same here, walked in front and the back of the car did not trigger the motion detection. But that’s during low light situation (streetlights available). FW V1.2T2; wifi off; motion detection level medium.

No idea how it actually works but sometimes I realised passerby (in front of my car, approx 1 meter) won’t trigger recording even during daytime (while am sitting in the car checking on the parking mode).

All in all it works (recording tonnes of motions) thou it is not perfect. Would be great if it can be improved.

Probably a tiny mini fan will be able to get the problem solved
A fan will only work if it has some cool air to blow over the heatsink, but when the car is parked in the sun with the windows closed the air near the roof is not cool, perfectly possible for the air around the dashcam to be above the high temperature shutdown limit. What is needed is an extractor fan blowing the hot air near the roof of the car out of the car and thus drawing cool air into the car.

Window mounted, solar powered, car extractor fan:
s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183986226009

Last edited:
A fan will only work if it has some cool air to blow over the heatsink, but when the car is parked in the sun with the windows closed the air near the roof is not cool, perfectly possible for the air around the dashcam to be above the high temperature shutdown limit. What is needed is an extractor fan blowing the hot air near the roof of the car out of the car and thus drawing cool air into the car.

Window mounted, solar powered, car extractor fan:
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183986226009
I bet this gonna be the solution But i foresee this might render the anti theft window film useless. Anyway will look into it.

I bet this gonna be the solution But i foresee this might render the anti theft window film useless. Anyway will look into it.
Might trigger the ultrasonic car alarm too, mine is a bit sensitive to air movement within the car, have to turn it off if I leave the window just a little open.

I've never tried one of these so I don't know if it will work, but I think an extractor fan of some sort has to be the answer if you want to solve the problem.
It is not going to make the car cool, but it may keep the temperature low enough for the dashcam...

Might trigger the ultrasonic car alarm too, mine is a bit sensitive to air movement within the car, have to turn it off if I leave the window just a little open.

I've never tried one of these so I don't know if it will work, but I think an extractor fan of some sort has to be the answer if you want to solve the problem.
It is not going to make the car cool, but it may keep the temperature low enough for the dashcam...
It is definitely one of the possible solution ie by drawing hot air out thus removing the heat soak.

In fact I have been considering leaving a tiny gap at the window But security of the car gonna be at stake. Worst case scenario the Pro will be gone when am back to my car. LOL.

It is definitely one of the possible solution ie by drawing hot air out thus removing the heat soak.

In fact I have been considering leaving a tiny gap at the window But security of the car gonna be at stake. Worst case scenario the Pro will be gone when am back to my car. LOL.
You could have a professional one installed in the roof, then there is no security problem:

You could have a professional one installed in the roof, then there is no security problem:

Thanks for the suggestion but don’t think my sedan has sufficient headroom for that. I do understand how hot will it be during daytime thus Probably gonna live with it. My Pro is serving me well enough thou it might not be perfect. Would be great if there’s any improvement/ tweak in the FW that could help (esp try out on the 10 fps thingy) but nothing fatal here.
Cheers

Bump: My retailer has sent me a second unit to test out and the same is happening on the second unit regardless of quality setting. Is this happening to anyone else?

Yep left my car in the sun today, looks like it turned off after about an hour or so. Was unsure if this was battery or temperature related. Wasn't too hot today, max of 26C so disappointing that the A129 cannot withstand normal conditions (I thought this was the point of a capacitor instead of a battery etc). I'd understand if it went off when ambient temperature >40C (I know in-car temps are higher), but not when <30C. Perhaps an adjustment can be made via a firmware update to increase the shutdown temperature.

I'm using low-bitrate, with 128gb Samsung Endurance.

If I use 10fps, will the dashcam be cooler and also will the battery last longer?

Back