Anyone elses A129 Pro turns off during parking mode?

I CU2

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey Guys,

I'm having an issue with my A129 Pro turning off during parking mode when parked in the hot Australian sun (using either low bitrate recording or frames per second record) after about an hour or two. If it's parked overnight in my garage, it will record for the full length.

Is anyone else experiencing this or is my camera faulty? My old DR650S never turned off during the heat and seeing as the A129 Pro is only recording in low bitrate and not even 1080p, I thought it would be able to handle the heat as well.

as the A129 Pro is only recording in low bitrate and not even 1080p,
What resolution are you using?

The low bitrate doesn't make significant difference, it has to put a lot more effort into compression.

Also, do you have it mounted in full sun or behind sunshade or frit dots?

Not many people have reported having shutdowns, but we are only just over 1 month from mid-summer now and you are in Oz.

I've tried 1080 and 4K but both cause the camera to shut-off. Is there a way to record full 1080p or 4K in parking mode without low bitrate, thus having no compression?

Mounted in full sun as was my previous 650S-2CH, there's no room behind the matrix dots unfortunately.

Yeah, we haven't even reached the peak of summer yet - just getting into it :(

I've tried 1080 and 4K but both cause the camera to shut-off. Is there a way to record full 1080p or 4K in parking mode without low bitrate, thus having no compression?
regular recording will generate more heat than low bitrate

What about auto event detection? Will that record at full quality anytime there’s movement? I’ll try that one next if so.

regular recording will generate more heat than low bitrate
The memory card gets warmer, the camera doesn't.
What about auto event detection? Will that record at full quality anytime there’s movement? I’ll try that one next if so.
Currently there is not a significant difference, other than the memory card being cooler.

Timelapse modes do run cooler, the slower the frame rate the cooler the camera.

I suggest you put the camera behind some dark or reflective tint, apart from the lens. A small piece of tint, just a bit bigger than the camera and with the lens looking underneath is easy to fit.

I have installed the camera here,is not directly to the hot glass.

Attachments

• 20191009_161519.jpg
    20191009_161519.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 20191009_161530.jpg
    20191009_161530.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 20191009_161539.jpg
    20191009_161539.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 67
It is full quality. In future, we may change it to low fps resolution to use less power consumption.

You can try to set both 1080P in daytime parking, there will be much less heating in 1080P mode. So we can know if the power off issue is related with heating or not.

Hi @viofo,

I have tried switching to event detection mode but the camera turns off after a short amount of time (even in the shade) in both 4K and 1080p. Is this meant to happen? Still no luck with low-bit rate recording in the heat, it turns off after about an hour regardless of which SD card I use...

Hi @viofo,

I have tried switching to event detection mode but the camera turns off after a short amount of time (even in the shade) in both 4K and 1080p. Is this meant to happen? Still no luck with low-bit rate recording in the heat, it turns off after about an hour regardless of which SD card I use...
How about evening - morning? Does it turns off as well? I do encounter turn off issue during hot afternoon (sometimes it will stay on during cloudy days) but not evening - morning.

Hi @viofo,

You can also try the 2K + Full HD recording, it will use much less power and less heating.

It is normal to turn it off while the camera detects the temperate is too high, the camera built-in a temperate sensor.

Hi @viofo, yes I have even tried Full HD + Full HD but it still turns off after about an hour or two of recording in the sun. My old DR650S never turned off - do you think I have a faulty unit? I am currently charging my car battery overnight to see if this makes a difference to the recording time.

How about evening - morning? Does it turns off as well? I do encounter turn off issue during hot afternoon (sometimes it will stay on during cloudy days) but not evening - morning.

Yep, when I park my car for work 7am in the morning it already turns off. It's pretty hot here at the moment though but it's not even full summer yet :(

Hi @viofo, yes I have even tried Full HD + Full HD but it still turns off after about an hour or two of recording in the sun. My old DR650S never turned off - do you think I have a faulty unit? I am currently charging my car battery overnight to see if this makes a difference to the recording time.

Yep, when I park my car for work 7am in the morning it already turns off. It's pretty hot here at the moment though but it's not even full summer yet :(
Yeap, try overnight and see. As the daytime “under the shed” could still be very hot especially comes to heat soak in the car. The dashcam itself releasing heat at the same time.

The best is to try a test at your home, use a modern smartphone charger for example. Is very very possible to discover that your camera is recording more than 1 hour. Unlimited.

enjoy,
Mtz

Is there a way to tell if the camera was off due to power cut, heat, or something else?

Is there a way to tell if the camera was off due to power cut, heat, or something else?
Voltage meter?

I used a car charger adapter which is capable of showing the voltage of the battery. So when i turn the switch to ACC, i will be able to see the voltage. I do understand that it is inaccurate at all (as other parts like fuel pump and etc will start to draw power during in ACC position) but just as a reference for myself. So I know it was switched off due to heat when I see voltage above 12.4v upon switching to ACC.

best will be using the multimeter test kit to check at the fuse box.

Normally if you use HD + HD recording, the camera will not overheat. You can try the @Mtz solution, using an external charger to power it at home and keep recording.

I have left the cameras on two powerbanks(one charging the other) in buffered parking mode for 28 hours(1 hour was driving actually without charging) and everything worked as expected.Is first time when I used the parking mode,I just wanted to test my powerbanks capacity.

LE:Sorry,I forgot to mention that the rear camera doesn't trigger on motion detection even on high setting and waving my hand in front of it.Front camera motion trigger is perfectly fine..Firmware V1.2ACC.T
2K 60fps + FHD 30fps
Temperature in garage was 20ºC,front camera is really hot but it not shuts down.

Last edited:
Back