Anyone got THINKWARE FA200 ?

mrpk

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I like to know about your experience with THINKWARE FA200 , i think its not the F200, guessing A in the FA stands for Awesome ? I got a viofo a139 right now but noticed video is not the best even with 2 channels recording. So thinking why not get cheaper cam :).

I would be hesitant to recommend it at this time. See my thread started regarding a failure to connect to wifi. Also, I don't like the short files that Thinkware save their 'videos' to; would prefer an extended file each time the camera is started with separate 'alarm' files of shorter duration for things like moving or parked incidents or motion detection incidents. Be careful of where you mount the rear camera (I think the "A" designates the complete kit including rear camera and installation wiring). If it is mounted in the rear window in proximity to the AM radio antenna it can cause some pretty bad interference on AM radio (if you ever try to use AM these days!). I am currently working with Thinkware Support to try to resolve the issue but may end up[ switching brands...considering Black Vu.

Many cameras do events of a set length, this could for instance be + 10 seconds ( from a memory buffer so you have footage from before event ) to 20 - 30 seconds after a event.
in that case you cant really use length of file for a search parameter, as all events would be 30 - 40 seconds long.
Yet other cameras do segments, this could be for instance 3 minute like i use, my SG camera actually save 2 of those from each camera in case of a event.
The only events i can see being different in length / file size would be the ones created by motion detect, but motion detect are not super good, at least not if you park in a place with "a lot" of activity, cuz then the camera might well be recording +90% of the time.
If you live down a dead end road, then it would be better as you dont have much traffic / movement going on there, still many cameras with motion detect, just a leaf fluttering by will set off the camera or a bird, in general the mode seem to be too sensitive on most cameras.

Then there is the radar cameras detection movement that way, these might not be so sensitive, still if you park curbside on a main road, chance are it will probably also generate a lot of events.

It is true dashcams have often messed with peoples radios, but DAB and satellite radio is what i have heard off mostly, but i also recall a situation where a camera meddles with the cars build in NAV system.
AM radio is new to me,,,,, dident even expect people listened to AM radio these days.

WIFI woes / smart camera woes, those are also real, pretty much any camera, and a update of IOS / new apple phone and you are lost, and it is not like Android based devises are much better, here you might have to do hoop jumps like airplane mode and what not to get a connection.

Back to mrpk, since I originally responded to you I found the problem with getting a wifi link to an iPhone...see my other thread on this. I have also now purchased and installed the GPS antenna and can report that it gives a good signal, alerting me on red light cameras, etc. well in advance of reaching them. Using the Thinkware Viewer it automatically "links" the 1 minute clips together to provide a more-or-less continuous video. For a smooth video you still need to download the clips to your computer (they are .mp4 format) and then allow iMovie to connect them (segregating the "forward camera" and "rear camera"). My only suggestion at this time would be go to for the F200 PRO version to get the improved night vision and high res rear camera.
For kamkar...I know that the camera will record a lot of stuff in Parking/motion detection but that's not a concern to me...I park in a garage at my home and the only reason I need/use that mode is when I am parked in a public space and need to have "evidence" should someone start messing with the car or bumping into it...which after all is what it's intended for. Thanks for your response and I agree with you on the wifi woes. I am pretty much stuck with iPhone since both I and my wife use iPhone/iPad/iMacs and Apple TV. I got really tired of the daily Microsoft updates on PC about 6 years ago.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-12 at 12.04.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-12 at 12.04.01 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
  • Screen Shot 2021-11-12 at 12.04.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-12 at 12.04.36 PM.png
    802.7 KB · Views: 2
Back