Anyone heard of Gizcam?

DrekiTech

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
A129
A friend of mine asked me about this cam today. I'm curious what you think of the product specs. It says Sony sensor but at the price for this camera domestically I'm very skeptical...

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/B01E76LUOW

Last edited:
Gizcam? That is a really bad name

not much spec offered and what looks like all reviews based on freebie product, understand your skepticism

"Too good to be true" is usually an honest sentiment. I couldn't find anything with the same body so it doesn't look like a direct rebrand.

To be fair, even if it is an OV4689 it likely wouldn't be that bad of a deal at $99.99 CAD. But I did tell my friend that he'd be better off with other choices if he can wait for them to ship from international.

Thanks for your reply!

Gizcam? That is a really bad name

Yes, it is an unfortunate name lol

Last edited:
Lol. My thinking exactly :)

Original price of $259 so $99 is a bargain if original price is real.
2560 usually means it uses ambarella chip.
Any sample videos?

I guess when choosing name they relayed on word Gizmo, but shortening it made thing worse. I think GizmoCam would sound less naughty than Gizcam.

Any sample videos?

I messaged the seller asking about the Chipset and sensor, they seem to be avoiding the question. I'll keep you updated.

Any sample videos?

Seller replied:
IMX 179
Allwinner V3.

Your thoughts? I don't know much (anything) about Allwinner chipsets other than a slightly less than steller reliability rating.

I don't remember seeing allwinner based dashcam with 2560x1080p resolution yet.

They have some fake 4k models so emulating any other resolution that they hear is popular shouldn't be too much trouble I'd imagine

Whelp, the Gizcam seller apparently got suspended from Amazon and told me they'd let me know when they're able to sell again so I could "buy the camera"... that's very uh... reassuring... the camera listing currently reads:

IMG_20160617_211515.jpg

Also I found another cam with an identical case (fake 4k huzzah): https://www.amazon.com/gp/B01D46P73Q

when i read "GizCam", my first thought was this guy holding a camera:

gizmo_from_gremlins_by_rachelf18-d5gjgnl.jpg

but then some cameras have flashes. :eek::eek: BRIGHT LIGHT! BRIGHT LIGHT!

Back