Anyone heard of Thinkware Dash Cam?

Hi everyone,

I am a new user currently looking to purchase a dash cam.
While on Facebook, I came across a company called Thinkware Dash Cam https://www.facebook.com/thinkwaredashcam
They look nice, but does anyone know about this brand?

Thanks
THinkware is one of Top dashcam brand names in Korea, but unfort at the moment they are not standing out for western market and too pricey.

Their build quality is very good, spec is a bit lower than others in the market right now

They're also quite a bit larger than they might look

I have doubt Korean has so many dashcam manufacturers, Where do they sell to?
I do not think Koran market is big enough to allow these manufacturers live well in high price.

I saw these at Future Shop (Canada) today so my first thought was to come here and take a look to see what people are saying about them. Not much apparently :p

My second thought was that the cameras sure are a little on the big size, especially the F550.
I'm just happy to see dashcams showing up in retail stores here. Hopefully it will inspire some better quality, better featured products.

Three days ago I purchased the Thinkware X300 dashcam along with the optional rear camera. Primarily I was after a backup camera for my camper van and I decided the X300's LCD was large enough for comfortable viewing by the driver. This combination was a bonus for me as it provides front/rear dashcam loop recording (1080p front, 720p rear) as well as a continuous live-view from the rear camera (selectable front/rear) for an assist when backing up.

I found the system was very easy to install (I spent most of my time hiding cables within the interior trim). The Thinkware software is necessary for simultaneous viewing of the recordings of front and rear cameras on a desktop/laptop. In standard AVI editing/viewing applications only the footage from the front camera is viewable. At the default settings the 1080p video is good quality (sharp and clear in detailed areas) other than a few compression artifacts/squares in plain areas (road/sky). I have not yet tried out the system at night or at dusk, but it seems to work fine in a dark garage.

So far I am happy with the X300, but I have a few quibbles:

- the LCD is touch sensitive which is great, but this also makes it very easy to accidentally change the tilt of the camera.

- I dislike microSD cards - they are just way too tiny for man-hands. Incidentally, a 16GB (class10) microSD card with a USB adapter and an SD adapter are included with the X300.

- I need to play with the accelerometer sensitivity adjustment as my shocks seem a little too harsh and set off the impact incident recording on railroad crossings and bumpy pavement. The sensitivity adjustment is easy enough to do on the touch screen - I just need to find the right setting so that my shocks don't set off these false impact incidents.

This sounds like an interesting product and I'm sure that the members here would appreciate viewing some of your clips if at all possible. May I ask where you bought it?

Three days ago I purchased the Thinkware X300 dashcam along with the optional rear camera. Primarily I was after a backup camera for my camper van and I decided the X300's LCD was large enough for comfortable viewing by the driver. This combination was a bonus for me as it provides front/rear dashcam loop recording (1080p front, 720p rear) as well as a continuous live-view from the rear camera (selectable front/rear) for an assist when backing up.

I found the system was very easy to install (I spent most of my time hiding cables within the interior trim). The Thinkware software is necessary for simultaneous viewing of the recordings of front and rear cameras on a desktop/laptop. In standard AVI editing/viewing applications only the footage from the front camera is viewable. At the default settings the 1080p video is good quality (sharp and clear in detailed areas) other than a few compression artifacts/squares in plain areas (road/sky). I have not yet tried out the system at night or at dusk, but it seems to work fine in a dark garage.

So far I am happy with the X300, but I have a few quibbles:

- the LCD is touch sensitive which is great, but this also makes it very easy to accidentally change the tilt of the camera.

- I dislike microSD cards - they are just way too tiny for man-hands. Incidentally, a 16GB (class10) microSD card with a USB adapter and an SD adapter are included with the X300.

- I need to play with the accelerometer sensitivity adjustment as my shocks seem a little too harsh and set off the impact incident recording on railroad crossings and bumpy pavement. The sensitivity adjustment is easy enough to do on the touch screen - I just need to find the right setting so that my shocks don't set off these false impact incidents.

Thinkware is starting strong now in N.America

-Futureshop
-Bestbuy
-London Drugs
-Amazon.com

One of their product ( F550-series ) was presented on CTV News

skip video to 3 min 22 sec.

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=414945&playlistId=1.1955184&binId=1.1184694&playlistPageNum=1

X300 model is the latest available to outside of Korea, however the latest one is FullHD + FullHD ( both Sony Exmor CMOS ) QXD900, which is presented in Korea 1.5 month ago.

@neonsequitur , can you share a raw / original files of front and rear camera ( day, night, pitch dark ).
You may upload them to mega.co.nz
Thanks you.

Last edited by a moderator:
@parklawn - I got it "on sale" at Futurecrap

Here are some links to some original/raw X300 AVI files with front/rear views embedded:

Incident event railroad tracks 20fps (50 MB)

Yesterday at 30fps (110.0 MB)

Here are a links to the Thinkware viewer for the X300 (shows front/rear concurrent and XYZ accelerometer):

Thinkware X300 PC viewer

Thinkware X300 Mac viewer

@niko: Thank you for the mega.co.nz recommendation

You are welcome. Mega.co.nz is my favourite, - it gives 50Gb Free space and their server has quite good bandwidth.

It's an expensive dash cam but all the features seem like it's worth it. However, I don't know if I need all the features...

The F550 interests me the most because it could fit behind my rear view mirror and then I wouldn't see it, and I especially like their sticky mount. I just feel like the suction cup mount is too unstable and will easily fall off.

Back