Anyone install in a Honda Clarity?

tafkam

Reaction score
Country
United States
2018 Honda Clarity and I got the expensive battery as well to plug into the lighter. Perfect spot for that in this car as there is a tray under the shifter and that is where the 12v socket it as well. I got a Blackvue DR900S 2Ch and am trying to figure out where to mount the front camera. I don't think that black masking around the mirror serves any purpose, but I want to make sure I don't block the camera and what I think is the light meter for the auto dim (this is on the drivers side on the road facing part of mirror but there also are what look like sensors facing the driver as well).

I also don't want to be ripping off panels to run the wires from front camera to batterlighter and another wire from front camera to back camera. I will tuck in as best I can but am pretty paranoid about taking off any panels and especially interfering with anything to do with the airbags. Any advice?

Attachments

• 20180930_055948.jpg
    20180930_055948.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 28
The black dots on the windshield sometimes referred to as a "dot matrix", is known in the auto industry as a frit.
A good explanation of what these do is available in this Jalopnik article. Part of the function is to assist with the seal for the glass while the section behind the rearview mirror helps to block the sun in the gap between the two sun visors.

As for running the wires to the rear, your Blackvue should have a small trim tool to help gently pull the liner and would allow you to feed the cable to the rear. A great thing about Blackvue is that the coaxial cable is quite thin so running the cable to the back is a breeze.

I would also suggest looking for installations on YouTube as they are very helpful! (Even if it's not your vehicle specifically)

The black dots on the windshield sometimes referred to as a "dot matrix", is known in the auto industry as a frit.
A good explanation of what these do is available in this Jalopnik article. Part of the function is to assist with the seal for the glass while the section behind the rearview mirror helps to block the sun in the gap between the two sun visors.

As for running the wires to the rear, your Blackvue should have a small trim tool to help gently pull the liner and would allow you to feed the cable to the rear. A great thing about Blackvue is that the coaxial cable is quite thin so running the cable to the back is a breeze.

I would also suggest looking for installations on YouTube as they are very helpful! (Even if it's not your vehicle specifically)
Thanks I appreciate the information!

Just a heads up:

I own a 2019 Honda Insight EX and BlackVue B-124 installed that was connected to a switched 20 amp via fuse tap directly to the fuse box under the dash.

Problem/Issue: the vehicle’s computer has been shutting it down for whatever reason. It’s detecting a unusually high drain and protecting itself by shutting down the port wherever I tapped in. Vehicle computer had to be reset back to factory mode each time to re-enable the port.

Workaround: I had to install a separate relay directly to battery via ignition switch to pass 12V to the B-124, bypassing the vehicle PC to get this to run reliably and consistently.

FYI, the Honda Clarity has a regular sized battery but the 2019 Honda Insight has like a motorcycle size battery under the center console so a backup battery is required to power (2) BlackVue units in parking mode for 10+ hours.
Thanks for the input. I had read that hard wiring into some modern cars may be an issue as some of them do not like an active drain on the battery, no matter how small. This is why I opted for the B-124 battery which I will plug into the lighter, so that way I can use parking mode but draw the power from the separate battery rather than from the car's battery. The Blackvue battery is ridiculously expensive at $300 but I figured what the hell, I have a brand new car so I may as well spend a little to protect it.

Back