Anyone know the actual current draw of the a129?

Reaction score
Country
Angola
Picking up a battery isolator and need to calculate the size of the batteries to hide under the seat.

Has anyone ever measured the actual draw of the a129?
Yes, about 350mA with wifi off and 400mA with wifi on, that is at 5V so half it for your 12 volt battery (you will loose 20% in the converter).

There may be times when it takes a bit more, and it will take a bit less in parking mode, depending on your settings.

3 home alarm batteries connected via a battery isolator would solve all this.

if you're thinking of those small SLA type batteries I'm not sure this would work well

I'll just go down to the battery wholesaler and get what I need. A simple battery isolator is available from Amazon for next to nothing and separates the circuits so that the camera would draw from my new bank of batteries and not drain the starting battery. The zendure and other usb battery banks are just toys. Not sure why I didnt think this out earlier.

I'll just go down to the battery wholesaler and get what I need. A simple battery isolator is available from Amazon for next to nothing and separates the circuits so that the camera would draw from my new bank of batteries and not drain the starting battery. The zendure and other usb battery banks are just toys. Not sure why I didnt think this out earlier.

Toys? All because the Zendure you purchased won't run your camera for a week or more you dismiss the entire product category? Personally, I've been using power banks to run dash cams for extended periods of time with great success, but I don't ask them to do things they aren't designed for.

Toys? All because the Zendure you purchased won't run your camera for a week or more you dismiss the entire product category? Personally, I've been using power banks to run dash cams for extended periods of time with great success, but I don't ask them to do things they aren't designed for.

Yes - toys. Using a usb battery bank plugged into a cigarette lighter socket is a costly and ineffective response to something that needs an isolator and a proper battery system. It's only because I can only assume people's knowledge of batteries and charging systems here is limited to things like USB batteries that other more effective and logical solutions aren't posted.

Yes. A usb battery is a toy. Spend $75 on a proper battery and an isolator and get multiple weeks of run time and do it properly.

That is all.

Yes. A usb battery is a toy. Spend $75 on a proper battery and an isolator and get multiple weeks of run time and do it properly.

That is all.
I think your maths is a bit out ... well, maybe more that just a bit :D

The zendure and other usb battery banks are just toys. Not sure why I didnt think this out earlier.
Actually, that Zendure X6 that charges at 45 watts might be a good cheap choice. How fast can you get 24 hours of charge into your little SLA battery?

interested to know how you get on, not so sure that your alarm batteries and isolator setup is going to give you multiple weeks of run time, I've had similar setups previously but using deep cycle batteries

Yes - toys. Using a usb battery bank plugged into a cigarette lighter socket is a costly and ineffective response to something that needs an isolator and a proper battery system. It's only because I can only assume people's knowledge of batteries and charging systems here is limited to things like USB batteries that other more effective and logical solutions aren't posted.

That is all.

With a few exceptions lithium-ion power banks were never designed for running dash cams for extended periods of time but many have successfully used them for this purpose and they are hardly "toys". And most USB power banks were never designed to be permanently plugged into a power source anyway.

At this point in time, your claim that spending $75 on a battery and an isolator will provide "multiple weeks of run time" seems highly dubious and hardly a "more effective and logical solution". Where and how are you going to mount batteries of sufficient size? Also, exactly what sort of memory card are you planning to use for the "multiple weeks of run time"?

Last edited:
If you really want multiple weeks of parking mode cheaply, the answer is a Vantrue T2 dashcam, you can run that off the standard car battery for multiple weeks and without looping on a reasonable sized card. You do have to sacrifice a bit of image quality, but it does work. What camera does the OP have?

3 home alarm batteries connected via a battery isolator would solve all this.

I ran a G1W/HC in a borrowed van for a short while off a 7AH 12V SLA battery and it worked well as long as I remembered to unplug the PS every time I parked. Never measured it but about 10 hours total runtime I guess. I just brought it in the house when it needed charging. A powerbank would have been much better but I didn't have a powerbank so I used what I had.

Phil

Back