anyone receive their SJ8 Pro yet?

:( This is disappointing. Anyone with SJ8 can confirm they have same issue? I just made a random choice between Yi4k and SJ8 since same price; guess I should've gone for that one...

Indeed, all you can do for now i assume is record in other working resolutions.

If Yi4k then i assume you could have make do with the SJ8 plus ?

Freezing? Audio out-of-sync.?Firmware issues? Sounds like sj7 deja vu!

SJ4000 wasn't perfect but was a good bang for buck model that worked good for what it was, I think they built a bit of a following based on that model but they've been stumbling with every model ever since

Yes my friend was very happy with his SJ4000, so happy when he lost it he got a new, which turned out to be a fake.

And we only know one way to deal with fakes

Lucky for me and my friend we found each-other, we both had to deal with a lot of fake friends.

tech4all, a YouTube blogger has a review of this latest sj flop!
Freezing trying to film in 1080p120fps like my sj7!

I saw a new slomo sj8 video today, but unsure exactly what parameters was used, so i asked on YT.

There do seem to be som jerking movement as he pan back and forth.

The guy just replied and it are a 1080/120 recording, he did not mention any issues, but it seem like you can do one recording fine in a session just not more of them, so maybe he have not noticed the issue.

But camera crash / lock are one thing, another thing is what appear to be missing frames in that video above.

I got this camera specifically for 4K60fps so using lower resolution isn't really a solution for me.

O i was of the understanding you shot at a lower RES, if you want to shoot 4K60 and you cant that suck for sure.

In the Sj7 i find that some memory cards just will not work it with the more demanding recordings, wich is funny cuz its memory cards with a write speed 3-4 X faster than the Sj7 will ever write with even using the most high settings.

Is it just 4K/60 that are a problem for you, and how about if you use lowest image quality / bitrate ?

Not that you should be forced to do so, i only use highest settings myself on anything, but it might give a hint that the culprit might be the memory card and not the camera. ( not sure if SJcams have formulated a memory card to use list for the Sj8 yet )

Too bad you are all the way over there in Northamerican "Denmark", or i would have a couple of U3 cards you could give a try to see if they work better than what you have,

:) Thx for offer to help. I did get a new samsung card, UHS class 3 that even mentions 4K action cameras on the package. It works about the same as an old Transcend class 1. I guess the samsung could be fake! It occurs in 4K Normal quality at least (will try Low quality) but also in 2.7K which is only around 30Mbps video.

SJ4000 wasn't perfect but was a good bang for buck model that worked good for what it was, I think they built a bit of a following based on that model but they've been stumbling with every model ever since
Isn't it true that the sj4000's 60 fps was simply a doubling of the 30fps frames?

Latest sj8 pro firmware is1.2.4, said to fix several issues including freezing in the 120 fps!

O i was of the understanding you shot at a lower RES, if you want to shoot 4K60 and you cant that suck for sure.

In the Sj7 i find that some memory cards just will not work it with the more demanding recordings, wich is funny cuz its memory cards with a write speed 3-4 X faster than the Sj7 will ever write with even using the most high settings.

Is it just 4K/60 that are a problem for you, and how about if you use lowest image quality / bitrate ?

Not that you should be forced to do so, i only use highest settings myself on anything, but it might give a hint that the culprit might be the memory card and not the camera. ( not sure if SJcams have formulated a memory card to use list for the Sj8 yet )

Too bad you are all the way over there in Northamerican "Denmark", or i would have a couple of U3 cards you could give a try to see if they work better than what you have,
Too bad Sjcam no longer respects DCT forum they could promote the products, and show service after sale like Yi technology!

Isn't it true that the sj4000's 60 fps was simply a doubling of the 30fps frames?

I don't remember the specifics but based on the hardware used the only 60fps option would have been 720p60, quite likely that it was just frame doubling of 720p30 as the SDK had a problem that would give really poor results at 720p60 so likely something they would have done, that aside though it was a good bang for buck 1080p30 camera at the time, they lived off the goodwill of that model for quite some time but from what I see they keep getting further and further out of their depth ever since, each model since then just seems to have been more problems

What's happened with the SJ8 Air and SJ8 Plus?

Seems to be very little info on them, although I did find that the SJ8 Air doesn't have any stabilisation! How can a 2018 action camera not have EIS?
The SJ8 Plus should be the interesting one...

I will agree on both statements.

SJ8 Air could make sense with its specs only if it would be a mini camera, mobius- or cube-shaped without LCD display.
Air = light-weight camera you can mount on your mini-quad.
Meanwhile, it's just another GoPro shape clone with poor specs without gyro. :cautious:

tech4all, a YouTube blogger has a review of this latest sj flop!
Freezing trying to film in 1080p120fps like my sj7!

Yeah, there are plenty of reviews that show its imperfections. Looks like SJCAM desperately wanted to release it at the start of the summer and didn't polish everything.

With firmware 1.2.3 and 1.2.4 my power issues are gone! Honestly - I am very surprised and each morning make at least 10 reboots, just to make sure it is fine. I am glad that in fact they acknowledged the problem and fixed it. Hopefully my review expedited that fix too.

On the other side, I have opened a case with their support, and there have been two interactions. No one from the support division has informed me about the firmware - I noticed that from people that were commenting youtube videos.

I still have not tested thoroughly the 120FPS freezing, and the 4K bitrate (the 4K bitrate was quite low - around 40mbps, while we have 60+mbps on Elecam Explorer k, 120 on yi4k+ and 80-100 on GoPro).

Despite the poor optics, I hope that SJCAM can improve a lot the quality of image via updates :) We will wait and see.

1.2.4 seems to fix audio sync on 4k60 playback on camera. But for me at least, power/freezing issues are even worse. It seemed to work the first few times but then started failing to power on after USB cable unplugged, requiring a battery removal. Even worse, the screen froze up once and now doesn't turn on at all, even after battery reset! It might be related to turning on wifi because I had been trying out the app. This is ridiculous.

The manual is now on the website. It looks nice but is somewhat absurd in that it has great detail for attaching a USB cable and opening battery cover - LOL, but fails to explain what the hell things like FPV mode and 1080p Ultra actually are.

On a hot day (114 F) the outside case temperature was 156 to 165 F (depends on spot measured) after leaving car parked in sun for a few hrs with windows open about an inch and with front windshield shade (also blocking sun from camera).

I tried 4k @ 60fps a little and once I saw a "slow card" message. I went back to 4k 30 fps HEVC.

I think the Ultra modes may refer to ultra wide which is why there is more distortion. in 4k car mode HEVC with distortion correction on, i don't see the weird distortion effect like in my 1080p example.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Back