anyone receive their SJ8 Pro yet?

A short update from my side - the while the 1.2.4 version worked fine at the start, the camera won't power on after 3-4 days of inactivity... Went back to 1.2.3 to see if that will help.
I found in pevly's review that 120fps is actually 60fps with doubled frames. A very, very disappointing fact :(

A short update from my side - the while the 1.2.4 version worked fine at the start, the camera won't power on after 3-4 days of inactivity... Went back to 1.2.3 to see if that will help.
I found in pevly's review that 120fps is actually 60fps with doubled frames. A very, very disappointing fact :(
Where is the Pevly video , please?
Techtronic9000?
BTW, your English is superior.

pevly have put a few videos on YT lately.

' can't find the review of sj8 pro on his yt channel!

This is crazy. I can't even power it on now. I guess it's what you can expect with these fairly cheap gopro clones. About now I'm wishing I'd chosen Yi 4k+ and in fact I was just going to get Hero6 but it doesn't do video out on usb. It was recently on amazon for not much more than SJ8.

This is crazy. I can't even power it on now. I guess it's what you can expect with these fairly cheap gopro clones. About now I'm wishing I'd chosen Yi 4k+ and in fact I was just going to get Hero6 but it doesn't do video out on usb. It was recently on amazon for not much more than SJ8.
I think the hero 6 will output video with their ugly dongle!

Maybe it's battery related. I just charged it fully yesterday and then didn't use it. But today it seemed to charge again (got very warm too) and camera turns on. I've also seen it show full then a short time after (and not used significantly) shows one bar. If battery has protection circuit, and if it's faulty, that could explain things.

My SJ6 and 7 cameras also seem to deplete battery while sitting idle, but i do my best to not put a fully charged camera aside, so if i have not recorded much then i let the camera record at home for 20 minutes or so before i turn it off.
Perhaps this is why i have not seen any battery swelling with my SJ batteries.
On the other hand i have seen swelling with my RC batteries until i made it a practice to store charge the batteries ( 60 - 70 % ) and then top them up just before use.
Same goes for my friend that have the nickname "Mr. batterybloat" as he dont have a healthy approach to the lipo batteries, so he have a lot of bloated batteries that dont perform well and are a hazard.

My SJ6 and 7 cameras also seem to deplete battery while sitting idle, but i do my best to not put a fully charged camera aside, so if i have not recorded much then i let the camera record at home for 20 minutes or so before i turn it off.
On the other hand i have seen swelling with my RC batteries until i made it a practice to store charge the batteries ( 60 - 70 % ) and then top them up just before use.
Same goes for my friend that have the nickname "Mr. batterybloat" as he dont have a healthy approach to the lipo batteries, so he have a lot of bloated batteries that dont perform well and are a hazard.
Even better if you go down to around 50%, and then keep them somewhere coolish but not freezing.
There is a good reason that DJI batteries have an auto-discharge down to 50% if you leave them above 50% without use for a couple of days.

I updated to firmware v1.26 (from v1.05). Now the camera has a "Rotate" feature (for flipping upside down for dashcam mounted to window). It also added two new resolutions: 2.7K (2720x1520) and 2560x1440; both allow 60 fps and HEVC and distortion correction all enabled at same time). They removed 1920x1440 resolution. Some of the menus have more hints/descriptions now such as the Encoding > H.265 screen describing what it does and saying, "Not available on 4K60/50fps, 1080p 120fps, 720p240fps. And on 4K30/25/24fps on gyro mode).

Where more efficient encoding is needed(4k60) they pulled the option?
They dropped their asking price about a c note , it's (pro) still not a Yi 4k + equal!

Last edited by a moderator:
I went through 4 Sjcam sj7 batteries because of heat related failure. They have begun with an economy SoC and asked it to perform like the top of line H 22 and failed !

I dont think so, if that was the case they should be overclocking the H22 SOC, and i dont think thats the case.

I always wondered how similar the H2 and H22 are in specs, i was expecting the H22 to be a good deal less than it are compared to the H2

There are now a CV 22 SOC too. https://www.ambarella.com/uploads/docs/CV22-product-brief-consumer.pdf

I dont think so, if that was the case they should be overclocking the H22 SOC, and i dont think thats the case.

I always wondered how similar the H2 and H22 are in specs, i was expecting the H22 to be a good deal less than it are compared to the H2

There are now a CV 22 SOC too. https://www.ambarella.com/uploads/docs/CV22-product-brief-consumer.pdf
Don't need to overclock the h2: where my sj7 froze often trying to film 1080/120, my Yi 4k plus sails ahead!Also I can film in 4k/60 as long as I want (so far a half hour) my cam gets only warm!
The h22 is a mid range SoC, superior to the A 12 , but inferior to the h2!

Last edited by a moderator:
i can do the same 1080 / 120 on my SJ7, though i have not tried to start it and let it run for a whole charge, or say 10 minutes, cuz i normally dont record that long segments.
My last session with my little RC truck was all recorded in 1080 / 120 on the SJ7 so i could slow some parts down a little.

I really need to remember to borrow my friends temp gun, its not like he use it now he dont really race nitro cars any more.

I think my unit sj7 had code faults in the programming. Sometimes the 1080/120 would record well,sometimes freeze in seconds, often just pressing the record button! Sjcam as a company was not interested in satisfying my problem even after starting a ticket and the PM! Also absence on this forum. So I have settled on Yi-they are responsive of difficulties!

Yes they should have done something about you and your SJ7, always came off to like a problem camera.

In firmware v1.05, Car Mode works well but in v1.26, Car Mode does not auto record when i power on the camera with the button and the power cable is unplugged; it acts like if it was regular action camera. with v1.26, i have to press the record button.

In both versions, Car Mode works as expected when providing power via cable and disconnecting power: it will auto record and auto shutdown (which is good as a dash cam).

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Back