Anyone tried wing mirror remote lenses?

comadose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I see a few dash cams with wing mirror mounted remote lenses on AliExpress. Looks like you are supposed to route the wires through the same way that the motor drive wires go.

Anyone ever tried them? It seems like the cameras will interfere with the mirrors a little bit but give a great side view.

I was curious if some sort of remote, weatherproof cam for dual cam systems would surface that could be attached to the mirror surface, or housing?

It will have to be done by a professional for far the most people, i wouldn't even go there if i got the chance, at least not unless someone also sent / paid for 2 new / used mirrors to do the test with.
The coming dual remote cameras will often have a option for waterproof cameras, and on a truck side mirror tree mounting should be a breeze aside for how to route wire thru door.
SG have mentioned a WP camera for rear / dual systems, and it have also been mentioned as a option for the K2S system

we are doing some side mirror cameras at the moment (parking assist project, not for recording) and it's major work to install, wouldn't work for a lot of situations

And the often i wash my car now ( at least 2 times a week ) i recon if a lens are not covered in some way the brushes at the car wash will make short work of really nice footage.
In a factory setting i assume you would put the camera behind the wing mirror glass, and then have it be 2 way in front of the lens.
Really though i would not want a view down the side of my car, the rear camera do that just fine, but maybe in a much bigger car / van / SUV / 4X4 or a truck it would be quite nice to have.

the cameras are generally mounted into the bottom of the mirror housing, not behind the glass

They look like this

ZVAtahW.png

Wauuu interesting,,,, and big.
Though i am not aware of any kaw here in DK about obscouring view to the wing mirrors,,,,,, but that don't mean a law are not there

Yeah, I think the dome type that stick on the bottom would be better, although I'd worry that they screw up the aerodynamics and create noise.

Back