Anyone try the New HDR Night Vision feature yet?

bobby14

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Anyone try the New HDR Night Vision feature yet? Want to know if the headlights shining on license plate is now more visible?

From Blackvue's website: "To keep videos bright in dark scenes, dashcam image sensors increase their ISO sensitivity. This affects the whole image, not just the dark areas. This means if something was already bright—like a license plate—it can get totally blown out. In fact, with vehicle headlights on, license plates at night often appear too bright, almost pure white, therefore unreadable. "

Hmmmm, that could be the reason why the license plates dont appear on my cam when driving on dark highways. I have night vision mode working since long time ago. Maybe I should turn it off to get better results

2d6664e912481a9df262f9d88bc40fcc.jpg
2dfa50cd20e34e1244bb4f789a7ac1c8.jpg

Your problem is primarily motion blur. On the first shot there is about 3" motion blur to the left (can easily be seen on the L/H rear light). Similar on the second photo.

Your problem is primarily motion blur. On the first shot there is about 3" motion blur to the left (can easily be seen on the L/H rear light). Similar on the second photo.

The license plate is over exposed to the point that you can’t see the motion blur in that area

Even if you were right, which I don't think you are, you still would not be able to read the plate because of the motion blur. You just can't see anything on either of those two cars clearly.

Back