Anyone using a 360 dashcam?

there's two parts to any of these 360° view cameras, one is the lens but the other more important part is the playback software, normal players like VLC etc are not suitable, you could try some of the players offered with different 360 cams but it will just be trial and error to find something that works I guess

Ok, so I'll try and error.... be back later....

I was wondering if anyone had seen or has tested this camera?
https://www.waylens.com/360/
I came across it by accident on YouTube and thought, WOW!

OTHER SENSORS
  • Radar
  • Three-axis accelerometer
  • Three-axis gyro
  • Three-axis magnetometer
Why would you put a magnetometer in a car dash camera? o_O

If it is really going to record 360 hours on it's own battery and store all the video on a 256GB card then it will be a very expensive battery and a very low quality recording...

Why would you put a magnetometer in a car dash camera? o_O

If it is really going to record 360 hours on it's own battery and store all the video on a 256GB card then it will be a very expensive battery and a very low quality recording...

The magnetometer is for a compass

I own this dashcam. I have some footage up on Youtube to show the quality, but honestly I wouldn't recommend it as a main camera.

The video quality is quite poor as in you can't read license plates unless the car is right in front of you 2 metres away. If you're driving, the bitrate is too low to capture moving plates or other details, so it's not that great.

I can tell you pretty much anything you want to know about it. I've had it since it was released as I bought it from their Kickstarter campain.

I use it mainly to cover my side window views, interior cabin, and give a general oversight of the front-to-side view areas in case of a crash. It works fine for that purpose. My main dashcam is a Thinkware f770 front and rear. No comparison in quality. Thinkware is way ahead.

Most dashcams the car have to be close to read a plate, but in general you should be able to do that up to a distance of 2-3 car lengths

360 camera will help us have a wider angle of view. But by reducing the focal length of the lens for a wide viewing angle, the resolution will be poorer and the ability to see number plates will be more difficult.

Here's a short video testing out my Insta360 cam mounted on my moonroof

Now, I know it's not a replacement for a standard dash cam(s), but it does get some interesting shots and being able to pinch PTZ in post editing is pretty damn cool

Just curious, but has anyone here tried this panoramic 3608 dash cam?

I've seen it listed under the BlueSkySea name on EBay, Wish, AliEx, etc., but have yet to see an actual review or sample footage.

Insta360 looks like a supplement to a regular front / rear setup. As the Insta will capture the action but the details will be lost (plates, closeups, etc).

Yes, the best way to do a cabin camera i think, + you will also get a bit other stuff too if your install location allow for that.
And something like the insta 360 are fine enough to make a ID on someone in the car, only downside are the low light performance.

Yes, the best way to do a cabin camera i think, + you will also get a bit other stuff too if your install location allow for that.
And something like the insta 360 are fine enough to make a ID on someone in the car, only downside are the low light performance.

@98 SNAKE EATER looks like he and his family are in a flying saucer with the fish eye. I honestly believe this camera would be sufficient in daytime to capture a side swipe or someone hitting the side of your car in parking lot when pulling into a spot. But you'll never be able to identify the car with this camera alone. My guess is that the insta360 will perform poorly at night due and low light conditions.

@98 SNAKE EATER looks like he and his family are in a flying saucer with the fish eye. I honestly believe this camera would be sufficient in daytime to capture a side swipe or someone hitting the side of your car in parking lot when pulling into a spot. But you'll never be able to identify the car with this camera alone. My guess is that the insta360 will perform poorly at night due and low light conditions.

I'm pretty sure I can get a much better view with the Insta360 if I mounted it closer to the windshield.

I'll try it this weekend and post the results

The 360 cam also produce a flatter image, of anywhere in the 360 sphere.

I usually record my Craigslist transactions just in case ;)

In this video, I had a buyer come out to buy an old R/C helicopter and he ended up wrecking it :censored:

Clips are from both the Insta360 One X (mounted on the front sunroof) as well as my Mini0906 and B2W for comparison

And here's another from last weekend when a buyer actually rented a car and drove all the way from Delaware to buy a set of wheels and tires only to try to beat me down on the agreed price when he got there (who does that?) :rolleyes:

I didn't budge on the price and he ended up going home with old floormats and a rusty strut tower brace instead lol

Clip is from the Insta 360 One X only

I'm quite sure if I mounted it on the windshield, the image would work great as a dash cam

Unfortunately, it doesn't support loop recording at this time :(

Insta said they may have a firmware update to support this in the future....

only to try to beat me down on the agreed price when he got there
I tried the same when i sold my quad bike,,,,, at a very reasonable price i might add, the guy tried to get it 1000 DKkr cheaper, but changed his mind when i started it to put it back on the trailer to go home.
My mother some times tried to haggle with the person at the cash register in a super market,,,,, as if they are allowed to give discounts.

OK, so I mounted my One X next to my B2W for a little comparison video on Saturday

The B2W definitely picked up license plates and road signs better than the One X, but I love being able to pan/tilt/zoom in post edit with the 360* cam

If I can find a decent quality 360* cam with loop recording, it would definitely make a great addition to my other cameras

OK, so I mounted my One X next to my B2W for a little comparison video on Saturday

The B2W definitely picked up license plates and road signs better than the One X, but I love being able to pan/tilt/zoom in post edit with the 360* cam

If I can find a decent quality 360* cam with loop recording, it would definitely make a great addition to my other cameras

Both seemed unable to pick up plates with any readability or definition. Unless of course, Youtube compressed the video and the actual source file is clearer. Truthfully, no one expects the insta OneX to pick up plates and high definition. The benefit of a 360 Camera is it captures the areas a front + rear camera do not (I.E. Sides). So if some idiot side swipes the car while you're driving or a kid swings open a door into your car while parked, both are captured for posterity.

@ 2 mins 30 secs, I love have the rear passenger head rest is rocking out with you!

Last edited:
Back