Anyone using a Cellink B ?

Andy Moore

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you are, how long to you get out of it usually from a full charge in Parking Mode (with movement detection and/or just G Sensor ) ?

In the summer about 24 hours which is based on the activity in the parking garage. The winter is much less like any other kind of battery. Again the Cellink B is a great power supply but remember the more power your dash cam drains and the number of times it starts based on activity can change your results. For the winter I might add the expansion unit which is another Cellink B if I find it to be necessary.

Thanks for that - I'm only using the G Sensor in parking mode and its not lasting anywhere near that time but the battery pack may improve after a few more charges.

Re the expansion pack, any reason why you couldn't just make up a LifePO4 battery pack of say 4 x 18650 cells (3.2V each) ? Would be much cheaper than the Cellink B expansion pack but may not work :)

Good point and I thought of doing the same thing however what I like about the Cellink B is plug and play. I used to use another battery pack off ebat but knowing when it would die and charging it while the car was unprotected was more of a pain in the ass. The Cellink B does the thinking for me. I was thinking perhaps you could unplug the rear cam when using parking mode if you backed in to save battery power. Your thoughts?

Definitely don't want to start detaching rear camera etc - I'm presently trialing mine from a full charge to see exactly how long I get out of a full charge - I'm certain its nowhere near the quoted hours.

I should know within next few days - I will then contact the seller of the unit to let them know just incase I've ended up with a faulty one.

Can't possibly see how a pack of 4 x 3.2v LifePO4 attched in series then attached to the Cellink B (as an expansion pack would not work although I think you are supposed to plug your camera into the expansion unit if you use one.

Can you clarify what camera you use and roughly how long you get at the moment ?

Yup............I use the DR650GW-1CH which draws less power than your dual cam unit. Where are you parking that has so much activity to drain the Cellink B? Have you counted how many parking files get created before killing your Cellink B? Do you have your dash cam set at one minute files? Longer files waste power in parking mode. I'm not sure if the software in the Cellink B would allow you to attached 4x3.2v LifePo4 batteries. If you try it please let us know.

I was looking at these batteries after trying some Chinese junk off ebay last year.

http://www.bioennopower.com/collections/12v-series-lifepo4-batteries

Nice find, those look very interesting

In parking mode I'm relying on G Sensor only (set quite high) as the motions sensor is so ridiculously sensitive - I really hope this gets fixed in a future Firmware upgrade

I've always had recordings set at 1min

I think I'm getting around 5-6 hours in parking mode (G-Sensor) - seriously thinking of taking this up with the company incase its a faulty battery pack

Wow 5-6 hours not good at all...................before I bought mind I heard of guys using it for up to 72 hours which was BS. As long as I drive my car once a day mine keeps on running. The winter is different needing a full charge in the house a couple times a week. Where did you buy yours being in the UK?

Got mine direct from Canada ? Looks like I'm going to need some form of add-on battery.

I'm sure the dual-cam 650 cameras were being advsertised by them doing circa 17-18 hrs ?

Your dash cam will drain more than mine that is for sure which is why I suggested popping the rear cam plug while in parking mode. Do you have a home charger or just reply on driving your car? My Audi will take about an hour and a half to charge the Cellink B however my daily drive time is quarter of the time it needs for a full charge.

I bought a 5 amp charger like this one for home which takes a little over an hour to charge the Cellink B.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/B00N3FQKU8

I think short journeys are my issue. I charge the Cellink B to its max (just over an hour drive), drive to work (20 mins) then leave it for 8hrs before driving home - I'm guessing this maybe my issue ?

I think so too Andy...................the Cellink B works best when it has ample time to fully charge. You might have to charge it at home once every few days to maintain the proper charge level like I do.

You are probably right but my understanding is my dual-cam unit uses about 0.5W/hr & as the Cellink B is circa 76.8 Watt Hrs I should get a good while out of it

4.8W would actually make more sense, I thought the figure I got was a little low. So, with a battery capacity of 76.8W, how could it possibly do 17-18 hrs with the dual 650 cameras ??? 10 hrs would seem more like it

Decided to fully charge the battery last night. I ran it today on G Sensor (Parking Mode) and the good news is it was still working after work (7.5hrs). I think my issue is short journeys to work not giving the unit enough time to fully charge. I will see how it goes but guess I may have to take it out and charge it at home a few times each week.

Just got to find a suitable charger in UK now with female cigarette lighter socket end on iy.

Even if I purchased the extension battery, I'm still not giving it enough time to charge in the car and whilst it would be ok for first few days I would be back to my original problem

I agree with the above..........Cellink needs a good charge either by 1 hour drives each way or a home charger.

So far, I've had 14 hrs out of it today (Parking Mode/G Sensor only) so I think it needed a damned good charging

Whats the benefit with this over the power magic pro?

Using a power magic pro shuts down your dash cam when the car battery drops below the preset voltage which is no good for parking mode protection. The Cellink B is a power source that runs first until it dies then it uses car battery until your car battery hits 12 volts.

Back