Anyone using DashcamViewer v 3.6.1 with Thinkware U1000 with front and rear cameras?

Peter_R

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Thinkware U1000 Front and rear cameras with radar module
As the subject line states "Anyone using latest DashcamViewer v3.6.1 with Thinkware U1000 with front and rear cameras?"

Does it work correctly without any bugs? Yes I know I can download it and test it with 2 files!

Are there any bugs, if so, what are they?

Many thanks

Kind regards

Peter

Last edited:
in general bugs are machine specific, so maybe someone will have a problem that others never encounter
I would install the software and see if it works for you. then, should you encounter bugs, you can always check here for info.

I know that in general the player works ok, though many people prefer to use a 3rd party software.

and note that it won't play front and rear at the same time . (this is only the case for the U1000)

I downloaded the Thinkware Dash Cam PC Viewer, it shows version 1.4.3.06. It works well enough. If anyone responds as to why the viewer you are asking about is a better option, I will check it out.

I downloaded the Thinkware Dash Cam PC Viewer, it shows version 1.4.3.06. It works well enough. If anyone responds as to why the viewer you are asking about is a better option, I will check it out.
It is called freedom of choice! If you want to use it, then download the free version and try it out. If it is suitable for you then fine.

ah i see now, you are talking about the product "dashcam viewer" , where as @isaiah58 and me are talking about the Thinkware "pc viewer"

ah i see now, you are talking about the product "dashcam viewer" , where as @isaiah58 and me are talking about the Thinkware "pc viewer"

I see you misunderstood! I tried to avoid confusion by posting the subject heading:

Anyone using DashcamViewer v 3.6.1 with Thinkware U1000 with front and rear cameras?

Sorry

Peter

It is called freedom of choice! If you want to use it, then download the free version and try it out. If it is suitable for you then fine.
You started this thread, seeking opinions of the software. I supported your inquiry, giving this thread a boost.

Your response is confusing and confrontational in nature. Based on your advice to me... if you followed your own advice, there would have been no need for you to come here asking other members about the software.

You started this thread, seeking opinions of the software. I supported your inquiry, giving this thread a boost.

Your response is confusing and confrontational in nature. Based on your advice to me... if you followed your own advice, there would have been no need for you to come here asking other members about the software.
With the greatest respect, what are you going on about? It appears that you did not read the subject heading properly before you answered. The subject heading was even repeated in the first line and underlined as follows: "Anyone using latest DashcamViewer v3.6.1 with Thinkware U1000 with front and rear cameras?". The reason being that the Dashcam viewer software version 3.6.1 has NOT been tested with the Thinkware U1000 Dashcam and is not on the list of compatible cameras for it, and that was the reason I was asking if people had found any bugs with it. There is a free version to test and I even eluded to this to test 2 files. This is opposed to people using the THINKWARE DASHCAM CAM PC Viewer ver 1.4.3.06 that has obviously been tested by THINKWARE for use with ALL their cameras.

So to sum up, it was not confusing to people who read the thread heading and the contents within the post.

As far as confrontational in nature. I was far from being confrontational because I said Sorry when it was not necessary under the circumstances. I would suggest you take a long hard look in the mirror when you talk about being confrontational!

Thank you and have a nice day!

Peter

Last edited:
With the greatest respect, what are you going on about? It appears that you did not read the subject heading properly before you answered. The subject heading was even repeated in the first line and underlined as follows: "Anyone using latest DashcamViewer v3.6.1 with Thinkware U1000 with front and rear cameras?". The reason being that the Dashcam viewer software version 3.6.1 has NOT been tested with the Thinkware U1000 Dashcam and is not on the list of compatible cameras for it, and that was the reason I was asking if people had found any bugs with it. There is a free version to test and I even eluded to this to test 2 files. This is opposed to people using the THINKWARE DASHCAM CAM PC Viewer ver 1.4.3.06 that has obviously been tested by THINKWARE for use with ALL their cameras.

So to sum up, it was not confusing to people who read the thread heading and the contents within the post.

As far as confrontational in nature. I was far from being confrontational because I said Sorry when it was not necessary under the circumstances. I would suggest you take a long hard look in the mirror when you talk about being confrontational!

Thank you and have a nice day!

Peter
I clearly also indicated I am interested in responses about the 3rd party app you asked about. If you are not interested in testing it, why would you tell me to test it?

I clearly also indicated I am interested in responses about the 3rd party app you asked about. If you are not interested in testing it, why would you tell me to test it?
Of course, I am interested in testing it. Please read the next paragraph. My original question was/is "Anyone using latest DashcamViewer v3.6.1 with Thinkware U1000 with front and rear cameras?"
By the way, I have tested it extensively since posting the opening thread. I had used the free version but was not able to do anything in-depth, so I paid the $25 and spent about 3 hours yesterday testing it. Your statement "If anyone responds as to why the viewer you are asking about is a better option, I will check it out." was confusing. I cannot understand why you would check it out when I asked if anyone was using it. More confusing was the egonvdv statement "ah i see now, you are talking about the product "dashcam viewer" , where as @isaiah58 and me are talking about the Thinkware "pc viewer"

Perhaps we should move on from this and call it a misunderstanding based on the fact that words can get screwed up on forums. I will post my findings later on the Dashcam viewer v.3.6.1 that you will have to pay $25 for the standard version to use test it extensively. See the following link:
https://dashcamviewer.com/

Note 1. The free software only loads 2 files and with each file running only 1 minute each, so there is not much time to do much testing. You can see if it runs.
Note 2 I have tested the full version on an HP 13.3" 4k Notebook running an Intel core 7 (7th Gen) and a self-built PC with an AMD 1700 RYZEN processor with a 32" QHD monitor I will be sending the information to John the software author.

Peter

Last edited:
For my observations see:
The follow-up and observations are repeated below for followers of this thread.

My tests with this application on both Windows 10 machines as stated in my previous post and the Thinkware U1000 with Front and rear cameras and radar module are as follows:

1. When watching the video playback, I noted at every 1-minute file changeover point when the next file was processed, there was a blank screen. It was approximately half a second (1/2) in length. There was no loss of position, in other words, where the video ended the new one started at that exact point.

2. I created as a test a video file that used 4 of these files and there were no gaps in it where there would have been 4 x 1/2 second gaps if I had run the separate files in sequence as stated in paragraph 1.

3. When following the vehicle on the map, I have the following enabled:
Route
Markers
Follow
Click to go

A. When I enable the use of Google Maps, I cannot go back to the previous marker or on to the next marker on the displayed route. The vehicle just carries on!
B. When I enable the use of MapQuest, I can click on any marker anywhere on any part of the loaded route even if they are days apart, and, the video at that point is displayed almost immediately. Excellent.

4. If I load 1000 files it takes a very long while for the application to process them all. Perhaps up to 30 minutes. Is this normal because each file is over 200Mb?

5. Also, it is very frustrating that the application has to reprocess all the files every time you want to look for something in a file sequence, even if they are loaded onto the hard drive. Does the application not keep them in a separate subdirectory for use later so that this long process is eliminated? Perhaps they are, but I have not drilled down into the instructions to see if this is mentioned.

Thanks

Peter

Last edited:
I have a couple of test videos from the Thinkware U1000. Dashcam Viewer can read the GPS data in the U1000. However, on the Mac, the U1000 videos do not play in Quicktime Player 7 or Dashcam Viewer because of the HEVC/H.265 codec incompatibility. I don't have a U1000 to test and see if it can switch to H.264 (most dashcams offer this choice). If it does, this would serve as a workaround. Other Thinkware dashcam models I've tested, like the Q800, don't have this issue.

On my low-end ASUS Windows10 laptop with K-Lite Codec Pack installed, the U1000 videos do play in Windows Dashcam Viewer but the 4K front camera video plays back at half-speed while the rear video plays at normal speed. Weird.

Because of these behaviors and lack of thorough testing on my part I chose not to list the U1000 as “compatible”. It could be that the Windows oddities I’m seeing are specific to my 4-year-old PC which may not be up to the task of dealing with 4K video. A newer PC may work fine. Also, there may be an H.264 setting on the U1000 which would solve the Mac issue (and maybe the Windows issue too). I don't have a U1000 so I apologize for not having all the answers.

Regarding the 1/2-sec pause between videos, I've noticed that if I have LAVfilters installed there is a 1/2-sec lag. But it I have K-Lite installed there is no significant lag. Go figure.

I was not able to reproduce the Google Maps issue. Note that the "Click-to-Go" button must be clicked in order for this feature to function.

Yes, loading 1000 files can be time-consuming since DCV has to find and decode the GPS data from the large video files. Some dashcams, like the old MINI 0801, store their GPS data in separate files and these load into DCV much faster. The downside being you've got another file to deal with.

Thanks for your feedback.

John

I have a couple of test videos from the Thinkware U1000. Dashcam Viewer can read the GPS data in the U1000. However, on the Mac, the U1000 videos do not play in Quicktime Player 7 or Dashcam Viewer because of the HEVC/H.265 codec incompatibility. I don't have a U1000 to test and see if it can switch to H.264 (most dashcams offer this choice). If it does, this would serve as a workaround. Other Thinkware dashcam models I've tested, like the Q800, don't have this issue.
Unfortunately, the U1000 is not able to switch to H.264 encoding.

For my observations see:
The follow-up and observations are repeated below for followers of this thread.

My tests with this application on both Windows 10 machines as stated in my previous post and the Thinkware U1000 with Front and rear cameras and radar module are as follows:

1. When watching the video playback, I noted at every 1-minute file changeover point when the next file was processed, there was a blank screen. It was approximately half a second (1/2) in length. There was no loss of position, in other words, where the video ended the new one started at that exact point.

2. I created as a test a video file that used 4 of these files and there were no gaps in it where there would have been 4 x 1/2 second gaps if I had run the separate files in sequence as stated in paragraph 1.

3. When following the vehicle on the map, I have the following enabled:
Route
Markers
Follow
Click to go

A. When I enable the use of Google Maps, I cannot go back to the previous marker or on to the next marker on the displayed route. The vehicle just carries on!
B. When I enable the use of MapQuest, I can click on any marker anywhere on any part of the loaded route even if they are days apart, and, the video at that point is displayed almost immediately. Excellent.

4. If I load 1000 files it takes a very long while for the application to process them all. Perhaps up to 30 minutes. Is this normal because each file is over 200Mb?

5. Also, it is very frustrating that the application has to reprocess all the files every time you want to look for something in a file sequence, even if they are loaded onto the hard drive. Does the application not keep them in a separate subdirectory for use later so that this long process is eliminated? Perhaps they are, but I have not drilled down into the instructions to see if this is mentioned.

Thanks

Peter
In #2 are you saying that you created the video utilizing four files prior to uploading it to Dashcam viewer? Without having actually seen the software I want to understand it a little prior to purchasing it. Thanks!

Back