Anyone using Mobius hardwired or always on?

Hector

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Mobius
I am thinking of hard wiring so it is always on. I would like to record while I am out of the car. Some people have mentioned it in a few posts but I could not find anyone who has done it.

I tried a few battery packs but they switch off and on automatically. That does not work. Maybe one with a manual off/on switch. Any actual users successfully using a battery pack?

Thanks

if you want to hardwire I'd wait until the capacitors become available, having the internal battery constantly powered sooner or later is going to be a problem, you'd also want to run one of the lower bitrate options to minimize the heat

What sort of time period are you planning on leaving it recording?

You could run into issues with the memory card over writing itself (assuming you're recording video?) and the battery drain could also be a problem. You could wire it permanently to your vehicle's battery but some sort of low voltage cut out would be necessary.

There could also be heat related problems (with it running in a locked vehicle,with no aircon) on hot days.

Just some thoughts. :)

Good points, especially on the heat issue, we see some 116' days in the SoCal summer. Probably better off connecting it to a USB battery pack when I want to record overnight. Thanks.

Running it constantly during the day in a closed car with that kind of heat is asking for trouble. Overnight with a USB battery pack should be ok though.

You might be better off setting it to take still photos at very short intervals when parked - I'd imagine the internal heat generated should be significantly less?

My brother is using the Mobius always on, have capacitors instead of battery inside.
He is using the 720p setting because wants more video in its 32GB card.

With this settings and driving the car daily or after two days, he never had any problems with the car battery even starting on cold time.

My plan is to use Mobius as permanent but in the Motion Detect mode. I hope the new Mobius firmwares to have a good Motion Detect feature to work in the way I want. For me, the principle is simple: move = recording. When driving, is always movement so I don't need a special driving mode.
The Innovv camera can achieve better my idea of Always On because it have G-Sensor and is more effective than motion detect: move (shocks) = recording. When driving the car is always wobbling, so always recording.
For Motion Detect is not so simple as for G-Sensor.
So if the Innovv developer will understand this principle of working and implement it in the firmware we will have another option for an Always On mini dashcam.

enjoy,
Mtz

For me, the principle is simple: move = recording. When driving, is always movement so I don't need a special driving mode.
The Innovv camera can achieve better my idea of Always On because it have G-Sensor and is more effective than motion detect: move (shocks) = recording. When driving the car is always wobbling, so always recording.
For Motion Detect is not so simple as for G-Sensor.
So if the Innovv developer will understand this principle of working and implement it in the firmware we will have another option for an Always On mini dashcam.

enjoy,
Mtz

You'd need a fair delay built into the motion detection - for being caught in traffic jams etc.

How sensitive are the G sensor cameras too? Say if someone opened their door into the side of your car or "touch" parked - would it be picked up? Wouldn't there be a delay too - if the camera was "sleeping" waiting to catch bumps (and you'd miss the hit itself).

I consider a 2 minutes video clip length to be a correct duration value. If no movement during these 2 minutes, camera to not continue starting a new clip. Will start a new clip when next motion is detected.

I think a delay will be. But I saw on some korean cameras that their motion recordings are including about 15 seconds before the movement and 15 seconds after. This is a correct working mode as a Parking Mode.

enjoy,
Mtz

.....I think a delay will be. But I saw on some korean cameras that their motion recordings are including about 15 seconds before the movement and 15 seconds after. This is a correct working mode as a Parking Mode.

enjoy,
Mtz

So in effect, these "event sensing" cameras would have to be recording all the time (to get the 15 seconds beforehand footage) ->and there would be no power savings or heat reduction? All you would have (over the current Mobius) is a system that would keep selected files when a trigger is set off.

Or am I missing something?

Last edited:
The korean cameras are using some loop memory mode, like a buffer, without writing to SD Card any video. Only when the motion was detected it will write on Card as I described above. Less power used in this "buffer mode" and card not used.

enjoy,
Mtz

I am thinking of hard wiring so it is always on. I would like to record while I am out of the car. Some people have mentioned it in a few posts but I could not find anyone who has done it.

Thanks

Just in the past 3-4 days I have installed mine in the truck. It is pluged into the cig lighter socket with the USB car charger.
The internal battery has been removed and a small fan added. The fan gave me problems, it did make a very irritating fan whine sound. Being a 5v fan I added a couple diodes..just to drop the voltage down..I would guess its around the 4v mark. This powers the fan at a much slower RPM rate with far less whine.

I don't need or want the supercap..whats the point. The mobius will soon be hardwired into the fuse box, forever.
You can manually set the time and date in the SYSCFG.TXT file, then reload it to the camera manually.
The only time it would need reset is the daylight savings time changes or loss of truck battery power.
This mobius is destined to spend the rest of its life...forever on the dash of the truck..thats what I bought it for!

Last edited:
I don't need or want the supercap..whats the point. The mobius will soon be hardwired into the fuse box, forever.

the caps are only for file save and shutdown, if you don't have that the last file recording will get corrupted, in the event of losing power due to an accident that last file is pretty much the most important one

I'm using my mobius hardwired to the fusebox on a "ignition on" source.
It starts recording (and charging) automaticaly when the car is started and I can also start a manual recording when the car is parked, as long as the internal battery lasts.

The hardwiring was done the-right-way using propper connections and has a designated fuse for it on the fusebox.
And the camera is discretly fitted between the windshield and the rearview mirror. You baddly notice it:)

I can give a few tips to anyone wanting to do the same.

Hi and welcome to the forum.
This thread is about keeping the Mobius always powered on, recording all the time, not only when engine is running or only when the user is pressing some camera button.

Here is a general topic about hardwiring and fusebox. You can post your experience there.
And here another thread about „always on”.

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited:
Well I hardwired my mobuis and everything seems to be running with no problem.

The only thing thing that I can only record for 9hr. Is there anyway to make it record for say 24hr using a 64gb card which is what I have?

My brother is recording at 720p 30fps lowest bitrate because wants more videos and his camera is always on. For him 720p is enough.

enjoy,
Mtz

Which mode 720S or L lowest you mean low quality. The Android doesn't say bitrate it onky states low quality is this what you mean by lowest bit rate.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Back