Anyone using the A119 in Alberta (extreme cold)

GTA Driver

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Iroad 3300CH, G1W-c, Mobius C, A119 v1 & v3, A118-c2
I have extended family members that live in Calgary that are looking for a dash cam. I have had little in the way of trouble with my A119. Its rated for only -10c and Calgary typically has several days a year at -30c or colder. However, I wonder about these ratings as mine operated fine last winter at temperatures colder than -20 C

I see the B1w and some BlackVue models are rated for colder temperature. I am thinking of discouraging the B1w as they need GPS and good audio.

So anyone Albertans or people living similar winter climate that use the A119?

I think the main issue is that it may go slightly out of focus while really cold, not really a problem but also not something the manufacturer wants a warrantee claim over.

There may also be issues if you take it rapidly from a very cold place to a hot and humid place. The lenses are not waterproof so they could steam up inside.

As long as you don't get a battery based camera then they are probably all very similar in their ability to cope, we are not seeing lots of threads about them failing in the cold and quite a few people do use them in -30C and lower.

I think the main issue is that it may go slightly out of focus while really cold, not really a problem but also not something the manufacturer wants a warrantee claim over.

not really a problem for cameras that do that as they come up to temp and things return to normal quite quickly

I can't recall anyone ever mentioning problems with cameras in extreme cold. Its just the A119 specs on this matter aren't as high as other.

Anyway, if they call again - I am going to recommend the A119 or A119s given my positive experience with it.

I can't recall anyone ever mentioning problems with cameras in extreme cold. Its just the A119 specs on this matter aren't as high as other.

Anyway, if they call again - I am going to recommend the A119 or A119s given my positive experience with it.
The S might be the better choice since light levels get a lot lower as you get further north and you also tend to get more dark shadows since the sun is always down low behind the trees, never overhead.

Unless they leave their windows open overnight, it's probably not quite as cold inside the car as it is outside. :)

I'm looking at ordering a pair of these for my wife and myself, we're in Edmonton so I am curious about that but I suspect it won't be a big issue.

In my country and my region,in winter temperatures as low as -25 celsius are usual.The cameras resisted 2 winters by these temperatures.Last week -21 without any issues.

Back