Anyone using two B1W's - front and rear window?

gryu

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thinking of getting one for the front and one for the rear window. Does it make any sense or its better to get a dual channel camera setup?
Not a fan of running wires to the back at this point for a dual setup.
My jeep renegade has a rear cigarette lighter socket in the back that powers on when the ignition is on.
Thank you.

My jeep renegade has a rear cigarette lighter socket in the back that powers on when the ignition is on.
It will be a better solution for the 2nd B1W camera power source.
And someone user told me he applied 2 B1Ws in his car, one for the front view and one for the cabin!

My B1W is in the rear of my minivan and hardwired. It performs well even through the dark factory tint. I think it is the ideal cam for this application with it's slim profile, good nighttime performance, and not overly bright but always visible LED. You may want a right-angle adapter for the USB cable for a cleaner install, but I just looped mine around the mount.

Phil

Thinking of getting one for the front and one for the rear window. Does it make any sense or its better to get a dual channel camera setup?
Not a fan of running wires to the back at this point for a dual setup.
Thank you.
Yes, that makes good sense if you don't want to run cables from front to back. The B1W works well as both front and rear camera. I have 2x B1Ws that I was using left & right. They're versatile little cameras.

Having been in the cheaper dashcam game for around 5 years now, I can unequivocally say that the best value I've found so far is the B1W. More for your money than any other budget-level cam with video quality equalling many mid-priced cams, especially at night and constant development too :love:

Phil

Dual cameras like the Viofo A129 do have some advantages, and only need one cable for the front camera and one for the rear, exactly the same number of cables as 2 B1Ws, only difference is that the cable for the rear has to be routed to the front camera.
  • All video on 1 memory card, more convenient.
  • One Emergency Lock button to lock video from both front and rear.
  • Front and rear video segments are in sync, making it easier to view incidents.
  • Better video quality / price ratio, since the rear camera doesn't need half the components.

Of course with 2 separate cameras, if you get a failure of camera, power, or memory card then you only loose half the evidence. Although if you never check your cameras then there is still a very good chance of loosing both!

If it was my choice then I would probably go for a 2nd B1W since that would be the cheaper option, unless I had another use for the spare B1W in which case I would go for a Viofo A129. There is also the Mini 0906, but I prefer the video and build quality of the B1W, and the rear sensor is the same anyway, unlike the A129 which has a better sensor in both front and rear. I can't think of any other decent dual cameras that are a similar price to 2x B1W.

Thank you all for your detailed replies, it is very much appreciated.

About the A129, I created a separate post over there about that specific setup, thanks again for suggesting it.

Back to the B1W, I searched and couldn’t find an answer on this, is it possible to disable all notification voice announcements with the exception of critical notifications like failed cards, not recording and incident saved files? If that’s not possible, at least to have beeping notifications instead of voice recorded announcements?
Thank you

Thank you all for your detailed replies, it is very much appreciated.

About the A129, I created a separate post over there about that specific setup, thanks again for suggesting it.

Back to the B1W, I searched and couldn’t find an answer on this, is it possible to disable all notification voice announcements with the exception of critical notifications like failed cards, not recording and incident saved files? If that’s not possible, at least to have beeping notifications instead of voice recorded announcements?
Thank you
Yes, you can have beeps rather than voice announcements. I don't think there is currently an option to have the B1W silent except for critical alerts.

I have a front and back cam for my daughter's car. Works very well.

I purchased one B1W to test it and I like it so far.
Now if I have two dashcams, how will the app decide which one to connect to?
Thank you.

I purchased one B1W to test it and I like it so far.
Now if I have two dashcams, how will the app decide which one to connect to?
Thank you.
They have separate networks, so you choose which network to connect to and then the app uses the one you have connected.

As for silent operation - I usually "go inside" and de-solder the speaker or whatever makes noise.
I don't like cameras talking to me, even if it is "critical".
But that's me.

Back