Anyone with a grey cam ever just use a Sharpie to color it black?

taybrynn

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Yi Dash Cam
I was just wondering if this low tech solution would work, or would just cause more overheating issues. I live in Colorado and it never gets to 100 outside, so I'm thinking heat isn't a big problem most of the time.

I was just wondering what people have done to make it stealthier? The black sharpie solution seems like it could only help. I think I read somewhere of a person who found matt black tape, but that sounds like more work and potentially more heat also.

Black sharpie will turn purple and fade in short order. If you want to make a camera more stealthy then paint it black using Rust-Oleum Flat Black Camouflage paint or equivalent. Either carefully mask off the lens and ports and spray it with two or more coats of paint or better yet remove at least the front of the housing, paint it and then put the camera back together.

I've done this several times in the past as have other members here. For example, several years ago I had a GT300W that came with very visible white lettering and a logo on the front. I removed the front of the casing and painted it black as in the photo.

GT300paintjob copy.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great. I'll add that between my low level of coordination and my lack of patience ... doing this "right" would be a big challenge for me. So looking for the easiest way, painting sounds good ... but when you get into masking and/taking apart ... thats a no go for this klutz.

I'm not too familiar with the Yi dash cam but from photos it looks like the front just pops off with a pry tool or knife. Maybe some other Yi owner can offer advice? It may be a simple thing to do on this camera.

I'm on the fence with stealth. Considering my toll transponder is white and the gps is also stuck above the dash and the manufacturer's modest looking cases, I'm not sure how many people notice from the typical distance between cars. I had my car parked facing the front door of the office for years and no one even wondered what it was. On the other hand, if someone is close enough to recognize the dashcam, they will likely think more about what they're doing. I'm thinking leave well enough alone is the easiest solution.

I painted my G1W flat black. It had the chrome ring that stuck out like a sore thumb.

It's best to remove the pieces, scuff, then paint.

What's the reasoning for a stealthy dashcam? Fear of theft? Where I live visible dashcams are a good deterrent to road rage and vandalism.

What's the reasoning for a stealthy dashcam? Fear of theft? Where I live visible dashcams are a good deterrent to road rage and vandalism.

Fear of theft of the camera. My camera is off when my car is off.

Ah I see. So thieves break into a car just to steal a dashcam? That's risking a lot of jail time for something that isn't worth very much.

It's not much of a concern in my country. Even car theft is virtually unheard of.

Ah I see. So thieves break into a car just to steal a dashcam? That's risking a lot of jail time for something that isn't worth very much.

It's not much of a concern in my country. Even car theft is virtually unheard of.

likewise, jail time for breaking into cars is unheard of here

What? What happens to people who get caught for breaking into cars?

Nothing much happens to the baddies here, a lady reported about in daily express had 5 convictions for assaulting police, very serious ones some of them, inc stamping on faces of cops with stilletos on, it was only on her 6 attack, again whilst drunk that she got prison, we have prolific burglars with over 100 convictions STILL not sent to prison, we simply don't have the space.
A paedophile I gave evidence about, Samuel Pickering, from Dereham in Norfolk groomed then sexually assaulted a 14 year old boy had hundreds of indecent images of young boys(he's homosexual), hid evidence destroyed evidence tried to bribe witnesses to keep quiet, got a 2 year suspended sentence, after conviction from a moronic judge bacon, previous judge moore was about to send him down for 3 years!!
All uk prisons massively over crowded, judges/jp's encouraged to use non custodial sentences

My biggest theft was when I saved a few bucks by parking on a street meter instead of a paid lot in the city in '92(?) when working Saturday. I left my phone charger plugged in and the LED likely attracted attention. They got the spare change in the bin and I paid for a new window. I now park next to cars more expensive than mine.

black tape should work, the vents are on top & bottom so shouldn't disturb heat distribution.

I agree,glue from tape will gonna become messy in a short period of time.

what about plasti-dip? or one of those thin skins (adhesive covers) d-brand used on cellphones?

what about plasti-dip? or one of those thin skins (adhesive covers) d-brand used on cellphones?

If you are going to the trouble of doing this use flat black spray paint. It is less messy and problematic than using Pasti-dip and provides better results.

You can easily turn a logo covered camera like this:
gt300.png

into this:
G1WH_mobiC.jpg

cappedG1WH.jpg

or this:
G1WH-shell.jpg

OP & I are interested in solutions that do not involve dismantling the camera

Back