Apologies for another which Dashcam to buy

ShenValley

Reaction score
Country
United States
But hear me out please. I had one professionally installed last year in my F-150 and this was the most complicated system to use and the customer service for the company was pretty difficult to deal with. Not very patient at all and always seemed to want to quickly end the conversation. So I gave up on this one. I just had to replace my truck and I'd like to purchase a new one but one that is dumbed down for a senior citizen and one that maybe saves videos I choose to my email or something. I do not need top of the line and I will gladly let Crutchfield install my new one as well as wiring and me have never gotten along. Any suggestions on one that is decent quality and simpler to use would be appreciated.

But hear me out please. I had one professionally installed last year in my F-150 and this was the most complicated system to use and the customer service for the company was pretty difficult to deal with. Not very patient at all and always seemed to want to quickly end the conversation. So I gave up on this one. I just had to replace my truck and I'd like to purchase a new one but one that is dumbed down for a senior citizen and one that maybe saves videos I choose to my email or something. I do not need top of the line and I will gladly let Crutchfield install my new one as well as wiring and me have never gotten along. Any suggestions on one that is decent quality and simpler to use would be appreciated.
Welcome to the site.

A couple of questions if you can to help you out.
What was the dashcam you previously had?
What are your skills like with copying files from an SDcard to a computer?

Hey LateralNW. I believe it was a Thinkware but not sure on the model. Both forward and rear facing system. I can copy them fine if I can get to it and with my shoulders that makes it a little tougher. I let the installer place it where this was tough to do.

@ShenValley
I can only help you out with the Viofo brand. A "simple dashcam" is tricky to answer, Viofo has many features but no cloud settings so a little less complicated than some of the Thinkware units
A129 Plus Duo Dual Channel Dash Cam
Front 2k 1440p + Rear 1080p With Wi-Fi Gps

This has a 2" screen so it can be configured without having to use the wifi settings if you choose. If you want the video off the dashcam you will need to remove the memory card which is straight forward.
It is possible to also download the video to your phone but that just complicates things for you.

Viofo has also released a new dashcam called A229 Duo Dual Channel
Front And Rear 2k+2k Built-In 5ghz Wi-Fi And Gps Logger Quad Hd 2.4” Lcd Display Dashcam

Very similar to the A129 but with better resolution in the rear camera and a slightly larger screen 2.4" vs 2"

Here is a link to the Viofo website.

Viofo has also released a new dashcam called A229 Duo Dual Channel
Note that the A229 is a little bigger than most Viofos, for the less dextrous it maybe easier to see and use the buttons than their smaller cameras, and to handle if you are removing it to take into the house. Of course the microSD cards are still the same tiny size. It also has voice notifications and acknowledgments, which also make it easier/more friendly to use than the older A129 Plus.

Thanks Nigel. Can you turn off the audio option on these? No need to let anyone hear my singing or they'll never watch more of the video if I need them to.

Thanks Nigel. Can you turn off the audio option on these? No need to let anyone hear my singing or they'll never watch more of the video if I need them to.
There is a mute button, and a microphone off button in the setup, but it is recommended you keep it on, since it can capture valuable information, such as someone hitting the side of your car or your side mirrors which are not visible on the video, or an angry/unprofessional cop at the window. You can always edit audio out in a video editor, or just turn the volume down on playback!

Sorry I bailed on this conversation. Life hit me hard for a bit. So this Viofo A229. Still the one that may fit my needs well?

Sorry I bailed on this conversation. Life hit me hard for a bit. So this Viofo A229. Still the one that may fit my needs well?
Based on what you have posted, yes, Viofo A229 seems a good choice.

and the customer service for the company was pretty difficult to deal with. Not very patient at all and always seemed to want to quickly end the conversation.
Can I suggest that you get it from a decent supplier who will give good customer support if necessary?

The A229 is not particularly complicated, you can plug it in with default settings and it will work, but for someone you can talk to, consider @CaptureYourAction who can be contacted here, sells on Amazon I believe, and has a website:

Although they appear out of stock on A229 as I write this - a popular camera?

Should have the A229 in stock around the end of this week (hopefully).

Back