[App] Ambarella A2 RomKitchen v0.7 (discontinued)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Tobi@s

Greetings from Germany and many thanks for your kitchen programm :)
Yesterday I updates to the 2014 firmware with my own logo (thanks to your kitchen programm)

During the edit process I noticed in the romfs folder these files:

04__logo_with_web.jpg
04__no_thm.jpg
05__invalid.jpg
06__invalid.jpg

Tobi@s can you explain me for what these pictures are used - I never saw these images within my mini0801.
My second questions is: why are so many people are asking you to change the built-in player against the RegistratorViewer player. Any benefits with this player on the mini0801?

Is it possible to add the menu strings (so that we can change the English to German?)

Once again - many thanks for your effort into this.

invalid.jpg is used as placeholder in the 'gallery' for damaged/invalid/missing files. If one of your videos is corrupted the dashcam will Show invalid.jpg instead.
no_thm and the other one are unused in the default menu theme
RegistratorViewer has more features and doesn'T require QuickTime to be installed.

Strings Editor is possible and WIP but I don't have enough time to finish it at the moment, so no ETA for it.

Last edited:
v0.4.5 is out!

045.png

Whats new?
More information (in all kind of infoboxes) added
Shortcuts now contains a "Quick FS Editor". It allows you to change the bootlogo/shutdownlogo and to "nullify" (empty audio files for no sounds for example) RFS files with very few steps. (noob friendly)

Links are in first post!

+thanks to the 2 unknown guys who donated a total of 20EUR, thank you very much!

Made my custom fw last week with startup image with zero hassle.
Thus, I donated :D

I'm gonna try blanking the start up noise tonight.

Thanks for your donation, @Gizzmo_jr, will put you name into the thanks section ;)

v0.5 is out. Now compatible with the latest A2 firmwares which are using unnecessary extra padding

Download: In first post.

Changes:
v0.5:
-Fixed some GUI bugs
-Fixed a logical error regarding romfs file counting
-Added Support for latest A2 firmwares (2014/02/22 for example)

dasjxr8fbw6va.png

Would appreciate some testing:
0.6 beta with included strings.bin viewer. Please try with different strings.bin files from different versions. Just tested two different files and it worked.

DL: http://dc.p-mc.eu/romkitchen/rk06beta-rel.jar
Viewer can be started through Tools->strings.bin editor

Can we use your strings.bin reader along with a hex editor to substitute text in menus (e.g., GPS: On/Off vs. GPS: Open/Close) ?

I decided to rewrite this software - mainly to get better performance and better code.. One of the changes is that I'm switching to RandomAccessFile (and not using InputStream anymore).

A few days ago I rewrote the strings.bin viewer code/the logic behind. I just created a small cmdlike application that exports all strings from strings.bin into a csv file. (importer coming soon!)

Download link: taken down... Encoding problem in this version
Usage: command line: java -jar stringsexporter.jar /full/path/to/strings.bin

The csv file will be in the same directory as strings.bin

Along with the rewrite I've planned to add support for A7 dashcams (0803 :D)

Last edited:
stringseditor.png

v0.7 is out. Strings Editor is working. Commercial use prohibited.
How to: Obtain the strings.bin from your desired firmware. Start RomKitchen and navigate to Tools>strings.bin editor. Open the strings.bin and edit it in the table view. Before you compile the strings.bin (Build>compile) make sure to save the changes (Strings>save (dat)).
Download: In first post.

Last edited:
Coming soon:
-strings.bin editor
-fonts.bin editor
-bitmaps.bin Editor

Hi Tobi@s

In the "coming soon" section you indicated that you thought a Font.bin editor would be possible - would this
  1. enable change of font - the current serif font is to fine to seen easily on the screen
  2. enable change of the font size and/or color to make the font more readable?
Cheers

Ian

Yes and yes. I already know the filestructure of fonts.bin. Colorchanging is very easy but font changing would require many many bitmaps(or png? Dont remember) of every letter/sign/etc. Would be pretty much work to "create" that kind of font. Maybe an executable from the a2 sdk would help me.. Not sure need to check that.

Yes and yes...

the fonts are all bitmaps, the latest sdk has a better option (finally) with an Ariel type font

Excellent - you will have seen a request from me on the original thread to cook a firmware but I reckon I am going to have to learn how to do this myself to take advantage of these customisations.

Thanks for the speedy replies guys

Ian

Coming soon (or later)
Support for firmware patching. (Whats that? Applying small text files which contain hex codes for adding/changing firmware features)

RomKitchen patches (.rkp) could look like this and get parsed by RomKitchen which applies the changes:
rkp.png

ok, I will try to assume diff combination of key press. Got to take sometime to test them all out. Will post result later. Thx.
Do you still have that bricked camera?
We could test soemthing if you are interested...

Hello,
I just want to inform you that I decided to stop the development on this application.
Main reason is the bad performance of this application and the lack of a dashcam I can mess around with:p

What does this mean?
  • There will be no more updates for this application, but
  • I will keep all download links alive
  • and the application is still working - means you can still use it to change the bootlogo, edit strings.bin, etc...
Note: I'm planning to add A2 support to A7tool which could result in new features.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back