App Connection fails

nmengel

Reaction score
Country
United States
New install, BW1 dash camera. When trying to Connect app to camera it fails with the message that it failed to get device data. Camera is on, microSD card is recognized, camera says it is recording, camera WiFi is on and selected on iPhone. What should I try?

have you turned off your data on the phone?

Welcome to the forum NMengel

try turning off mobile data or put the phone in airplane mode.
This have been known to help some times at least on the damn Android devises.

FIY the "engel" part of your user name, in Danish that mean Angel :)

No, am I supposed to?
I turned cellular data off, same failure. I tried airplane mode no help, I turned off VPN no help. Hoping to hear from customer service later today.

No, am I supposed to?
The app for this thing is a little weird until you get used to it.
Turn off data and make absolute sure you're not connected to your home wifi.

When you connect to your B1W's wifi, your phone will look at it, figure out that the dashcam doesn't have internet available and jump back to you home wifi.

Try stopping somewhere where you don't have any wifi (eg a random parking lot) , turn off data and the connect to the B1W's wifi

Having VPN can for sure trip up some things, i fallen for that myself as a reasonably newcomer to VPN use.
I have reverted to not having it on all the time on the phone, not least since i am a avid phone hater, and dont really use it much, and just the short interaction to turn off the VPN ( or on for that matter ) is enough to PO me.
I keep my use to under 1 hour / mo for talking and only 1 - 2 GB of data, mostly reading news while on the can,,,,,, i very much look forward to ditching it again ( only have it for the sake of my dear old sick mother )

It could also be a recent IOS update, that seem to very often trip things up for the iphone using dashcammers, on the other hand i have a android 4 tablet which still work with newer APPs for cameras i have.
I will tag in the resident blueskysea expert. @estore009 for his take on the situation.

The app for this thing is a little weird until you get used to it.
Turn off data and make absolute sure you're not connected to your home wifi.

When you connect to your B1W's wifi, your phone will look at it, figure out that the dashcam doesn't have internet available and jump back to you home wifi.

Try stopping somewhere where you don't have any wifi (eg a random parking lot) , turn off data and the connect to the B1W's wifi
You can reset the dash cam by loading firmware also...
Details link here https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/app-connection-fails.44764/#post-548026

Followed directions from CS to switch airplane mode to on on iPhone and connect to camera WiFi before opening app. Worked-thanks. Appreciate all the help and responses.

Now heard from CS that they recommend firmware update. I have downloaded to my windows desktop the tool_20170704.rar from the first link and the CDV04 SECORD005283 file from the second link they provided I also used a rar extract tool to extract the rar files. All of these are on my windows desktop file system. I am not clear on how to load the correct files to the camera at this point. I have asked for further clarification from CS but Can you also provide detailed instructions for the next steps?

I have the same issue, but with a slight twist:
I purchased a B1W in October 2019 and successfully installed it. When I installed it I was able to connect it via the B1W-CARDVR app on my iPhone 6S. The last time I connected to it was mid-2020 to download some video. I recently purchased a second B1W to install in another vehicle and have been unable to connect to it with the same app. I just tried to connect to my first B1W and cannot do that either now.

I see the WiFi being broadcast and can connect to the WiFi network. However, when I tap the "Click to connect" red circle in the app, it says "Connecting...", then I get "Failed to get device information". Note that this happens when I have my phone in normal mode AND in airplane mode with only WiFi active. I also get the same behavior when I try to connect to either B1W using the app on another phone.

I believe I have updated the firmware of the second B1W to V20200707. I downloaded it and transferred it to a fresh SanDisk 64GB SD card rated for dashcams. When the second cam powers up, I get audio that it is starting to record, so I believe the card is formatted correctly. I do not know the firmware of the first B1W, but regardless, it was connecting fine about a year ago.

Welcome to the forum Liza.
Could it be your phone have had a update since you last connected to the old camera, or have you been connected "regularly"
I phones seem to be better in making problems after a OS update, not that the google flavor are much better some times.

you could try and start over, bu deleting all old stuff under wifi in your phone pertaining to the old camera, maybe go all the way and delete and install the app too.

Its been so long since i tested the B1W camera so most of the knowledge gained have been lost too im afraid, i do remember i dident have any problems back then using my android phone, but thats something like 2 years back if not more.

Not sure it will help but but what finally did work for me is being very diligent about putting my iPhone in airplane mode first. Then connecting to camera WiFi next and only then starting the app. That sequence worked for me.
Now that it works I am really hesitant to do the firmware update- that I am uncertain of the steps to do.

Wow! Order of operations makes a difference. I closed the app, then as nmengel suggests: 1) Airplane mode, 2) connect to WiFi, 3) start app, and I can now connect.

For reference:
iPhone 6S running iOS 14.4.2
Blueskysea B1W-CARDVR app v1.8.5
B1W with firmware updated to V20200707

Update:

Airplane mode doesn't make a difference. The important part is connecting to the B1W WiFi before the app is launched. If the app has been launched (and is active in the background), I can still connect the phone to the B1W WiFi, but connecting the app to the B1W will fail then.

Back