App stops my 4G internet in the car

Pottsy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just getting to grips with a new M6+

If I start the app (network switching in either mode), the app creates a wifi connection with the camera. All good.

When I exit the app, the wifi connection remains in the phone (in the wifi section). For ever. So when I get into the car, the phone connects with the camera and the phone has no 3g/4g data connection.

The only way out of this is to go into the phone settings, wifi, and "forget" the DDPai connection to the camera.

So..

Every time I use the app to connect to the camera, I have to remember to go "phone settings, wifi, forget network" when I'm finished or else my phone is crippled for ever more when in the car.

Phone is an S7 edge. Curiously, the phone is clever enough on all other saved wifi networks, to revert to 4g data if it can't establish an internet connection on a saved wifi link.

Anyone with a better workaround?

Instead of forgetting the network, why not turn off wifi on the phone when you are done? You also might be able to use the app IF to create a task to drop the connection when you exit the DDPAI app.

Turning wifi off is not an option, I need it on again as soon as I get out of the car. I'd be for ever turning it on and off, for an app I use rarely.

I'll have a look at IF. But it would be better if the DDpai was just half decent.

Sadly neither IF nor Tasker can "forget" a wifi connection.

What a crap app the DDPai Android one is!

You shouldn't be making a wifi connection to the camera - the device uses wifi direct to connect on demand.

I have 4g access when the app is not running, and 4G access with the app running unless I click camera to see a live feed.

Last edited:
The app (not me) creates the wifi connection when I click on the live feed. It leaves that wifi connection behind when I exit the app.

I then have to go and delete ("forget") that wifi connection in my phone to allow normal use in the car.

If I go to wifi direct on the phone, when in the car, the phone can see my Amazon Fire but not the camera. The camera is reporting itself as a router, with a web page.

AIUI, I have to go to the live feed to get to the list of videos on the camera. I do: live feed, full screen, drag left under the live video to get the red marker, scroll the thumbs at the top.

Viewing is a mess too, with no functional map and the videos in the wrong chronological order. Amateur hour!

The app (not me) creates the wifi connection when I click on the live feed. It leaves that wifi connection behind when I exit the app.

I then have to go and delete ("forget") that wifi connection in my phone to allow normal use in the car.

If I go to wifi direct on the phone, when in the car, the phone can see my Amazon Fire but not the camera. The camera is reporting itself as a router, with a web page.

AIUI, I have to go to the live feed to get to the list of videos on the camera. I do: live feed, full screen, drag left under the live video to get the red marker, scroll the thumbs at the top.

Viewing is a mess too, with no functional map and the videos in the wrong chronological order. Amateur hour!

OK - just checked my camera and I get the following:

When in range with the app not running I have 4G - I see the camera in the list of available wifi networks - but it does not connect.
The camera is not shown when searching for devices using wifi-direct.
When I start the app - I still have 4G.
When I click camera and the play icon to get a live feed - I get the "connecting camera" dialogue and lose 4G.
If I navigate away from the app, so it is still running in the background - 4G is restored.
If I switch back to the app, I get the connecting camera dialogue again and lose 4G.
If I close the app from the live feed view - 4G is restored.

In addition - having walked away the camera is not shown under wi-fi connections, plenty of ssid's for places I have connected to in the past are listed as "out of range" but not the camera.

I'm running 3.3.1.6 firmware with the latest DDPAI app so have to click upgrade later every time - but I can live with that - and android 6.0.1 with WiFi Smart Network switch off.

The only thing I noticed is that for each firmware upgrade another camera connection appeared so I had to forget more than one to get it to behave.

Last edited:
Thanks.

The only 2 differences are:

Once mine has connected via WiFi, it never lets go.
Firmware.

I'll revert the camera firmware once I get home in a few days.

Thanks.

The only 2 differences are:

Once mine has connected via WiFi, it never lets go.
Firmware.

I'll revert the camera firmware once I get home in a few days.

I did some more testing and found my tablet behaves as you describe.

After using the app, the tablet remains connected to the camera, and I have no internet access.

If I force connection to my home network I can still see 2 camera connections - one available and one "saved".

If I "forget" the camera connections - they reappear and connect after using the app.

I tried using the app to change the camera password so that android couldn't know the password, but the tablet remained connected over wifi.

So it appears as if it's not the camera or the firmware, but an Android issue.

Android 6.0.1 works for me - Android 5.1.1 does not.

App version 5.2.5.0914 works on my phone - I'll check the tablet version later.

My phone, with the issues, is 6.0.1.

My phone, with the issues, is 6.0.1.
Bizzare - 6.0.1 works for me but not for you and both my tablet and S5 are running the same version of the app.

Hi Pottsy,

I have managed to reproduce the problem on my previously working S5.

It seems that if you have -ever- made a connection to the camera from wifi settings - android knows about the connection and can track changes to the device name and password made by the app. The connection remains after closing the app - killing 4G. "Forget" gets you back on line but only works until you next use the app.

Last night I made a connection to the camera with the S5 WiFi settings - and broke it :)

I tried a number of things to fix this before resorting to a phone reset and found the following worked for me.

When the camera is in range...
Remove the app.
Forget - all wifi connections relating to the camera.
Reset the camera to default name and password. (I had changed the defaults)
Reinstall the app.

Viola - I now have 4G when the app is not in the foreground again.

Hope that helps....

Last edited:
Firstly , thank you for your efforts.

No luck though. Uninstall app, forget connection. Only ever used default name and password. Restart.

Install app, creates the WiFi connection when I add camera, never lets go. Can't even check for new firmware. Have tried with the network switching in both settings before making the first connection.

I'll revert the firmware next.

OK,

Reverted the camera firmware to 3.3.1.6. Uninstalled the app (etc) and reinstalled.

And it partially works!

If I exit the app using the back key, the wifi connection remains enabled. But if I go to "me" and then press "comments", the app disconnects the wifi and re-connects to 4g. And then when I exit the app, the wifi connection is forgotten. So at least no all I have to go is go to "comments" before I exit the app.

Still a bit hopeless, but makes the camera almost usable.

Actually mine is playing up now.

Not sure how to get android to forget the connection - there are some comments about connections being backed up to your google account so maybe my device synced.

But having gone from one working device and one broken device to 2 broken devices - I'm certain it's an android problem. :(

I'm pretty sure that if you "forget" a network on one device then it sends that setting to all other devices.

I'm pretty sure that if you "forget" a network on one device then it sends that setting to all other devices.
It's an android problem.

"I have an 802.11ac router at home with both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz connections and separate SSIDs for each. In most parts of my home, the 5Ghz connection is utterly useless, which I learned the hard way from my phone regularly connecting to it and then failing to do anything while it does. So, of course, I told my phone to "forget" the connection.

But since Google backs up all my WiFi networks and syncs them with all my devices, which is a great feature, it constantly restores this WiFi network to my Nexus 6 (and did the same to my 5 before that) without my realizing it until I notice my phone being useless at home again and find that it's reconnected to it. I'll forget it again, it's fine for a while, and then after an unknown period of time it's back."

Last edited:
I have the same issue and it is driving me nuts as well. The other problem that is annoying i that the battery has to get charged before the unit becomes operational. If you don't use the vehicle for a few days it can a few minutes to get charged. To me, this is another deficiency and I wouldn't recommend this unit to anyone

Use NFC tags.
They'll automatically turn Wi-Fi when in car plus can customize other features.

first. thank you for the response - the issue is to keep wifi on but keep wifi from connecting to the camera

Back