Appears to record - No file saved

JimGunther

Reaction score
Country
United States
Have had my early Mobius for better than 5 years. PERFECT clarity always. Capacitor used for car. VERY recently I've found it APPEARS to record - Yellow and red blinking but no file is saved. Love this darned camera...Do I need a new capacitor or could there be something simple between - for example - the lens and wherever the files are created??
FYI: Perhaps a clue - I've never been successful in keeping the date current but the video and audio has always been great.
TIA for any help (even if it's a link to a F.A.Q.

First try formatting your existing memory card. Then try a brand new memory card.

The super-capacitor will hold the date and time and is vital for saving the last file before shut-down but otherwise the camera will record just fine without it. If you can't keep the date current you probably do need a new super-cap.

Have you been using the same card for 5 years? I agree with @Dashmellow, check the card first or try another one.

Any capacitor issue would only affect the last file. Even if the time and date is lost, the Mobius 1 records with successive file names so the files are always in the correct order.

If it were the SuperCap, it'd likely be corrupting a file when losing power. The fact it isn't recording at all is most likely the SD card went bad. Try SdCardFormatter and do a full format. Try the card again. If no luck, I suggest giving another MicroSD card a try. It's likely that your 5 year old SD card has met its end of life.

No. On the original Mobius 1 camera a dead super-cap will merely fail to save the last file, not corrupt it.

Please explain. If I am not mistaken SuperCap's job is to retain enough power after the engine is cut or the camera is powered down.

Generally, cameras write to the memory card as data is being written. Only needing the SuperCapacitor to hold enough charge to exit the last file without corrupting it.

Does the Mobius write the current video to Memory (and not the SD card), relying on the SuperCap to provide enough power to transfer and finalize that file prior to exit?

Please explain. If I am not mistaken SuperCap's job is to retain enough power after the engine is cut or the camera is powered down.

Generally, cameras write to the memory card as data is being written. Only needing the SuperCapacitor to hold enough charge to exit the last file without corrupting it.

Does the Mobius write the current video to Memory (and not the SD card), relying on the SuperCap to provide enough power to transfer and finalize that file prior to exit?
Without a working super-cap the Mobius does not save the last file at all. It doesn't even try to save it, since it can't, so no corruption.

Without a working super-cap the Mobius does not save the last file at all. It doesn't even try to save it, since it can't, so no corruption.

Sounds like the Mobius writes videos to memory first, before the SD card. Very strange way of handling a feed. So whatever is last in the memory, doesn't get written to the SD card upon powering down, unless the SuperCap works and gives enough time to properly exit on power down.

Mobius definitely picked an ass backwards way of finalizing video streams.

Sounds like the Mobius writes videos to memory first, before the SD card. Very strange way of handling a feed. So whatever is last in the memory, doesn't get written to the SD card upon powering down, unless the SuperCap works and gives enough time to properly exit on power down.

Mobius definitely picked an ass backwards way of finalizing video streams.

The Mobius is perhaps the most versatile, reliable "dash" camera on the market. It is however, not a conventional "dash cam" but rather an action cam optimized for FPV that can also function as an excellent full service dash cam. The Mobius hardware is designed and built differently than any typical dash cam and the firmware, functionality and GUI is quite different. Unlike any other camera on the market it can use either a user installed internal plug-in battery that provides a two hour runtime or a plug-in super-capacitor module. This requires unique firmware design and specific settings to achieve and thus the recording and saving of the last file functions differently than on a typical camera. In simplistic terms, the saving of the last file is basically a function of whether the camera is being powered by an external source or an internal source in concert with a UI setting. In addition, unlike a typical dash camera, the Mobius does not have an RTC battery. Instead, the super-capacitor if installed, maintains the date and time for a period of seven to ten days and generally most people using the Mobius as a dash cam operate their vehicles often enough to sustain the date and time permanently.

Again, the camera was originally designed as a tiny, lightweight camera for FPV use in remote controlled aircraft and drones that evolved into a remarkably versatile, reliable platform capable of using an optional super-capacitor along with a vast selection of user installed lenses and other unique options not available elsewhere and thus is one that a great many people have found myriad uses for including as a highly popular, stealthy dash cam still prized by many more than eight years after it was first introduced.

Just because you are unfamiliar with something and don't understand it is no reason to attack a unique developer like Mobius who single-handedly created the entire product category of "matchbox" style cameras with the introduction of the Mobius using insults like "ass backwards" but as usual this is typical of the knee-jerk abusive behavior we so often witness from you.

Last edited:
Wow! I am impressed with the knowledgeable response to my posting.

UPON FURTHER REVIEW:

Went for a longer drive and found that the Mobius is recording perfectly - EXCEPT (apparently) for the last file.
In recent testing, I had only been running a test recording for a couple minutes, so, the only file was the LAST one and, thus, not saved.

Guess I need a new capacitor. So glad I'll still be able to use my Mobius.... it is still a remarkable piece of technology and perfect as a discreet dash cam.

Thanks again to all - Wish I could return the favor.

Wow! I am impressed with the knowledgeable response to my posting.

UPON FURTHER REVIEW:

Went for a longer drive and found that the Mobius is recording perfectly - EXCEPT (apparently) for the last file.
In recent testing, I had only been running a test recording for a couple minutes, so, the only file was the LAST one and, thus, not saved.

Guess I need a new capacitor. So glad I'll still be able to use my Mobius.... it is still a remarkable piece of technology and perfect as a discreet dash cam.

Thanks again to all - Wish I could return the favor.

Contact eletoponline365 or digitalele889 on eBay, both of whom are direct factory vendors for Mobius and ask them about how to order a new super-capacitor. The capacitors are not offered directly on the seller's pages but they will tell you how to arrange to purchase what you need. Make sure to tell them you have an original Mobius 1 camera.

Back