Apple delete permissions

Irishrebel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I’m using the A119 dash cam and have transferred a number of videos that were in the saved folder on the cam onto my hard drive. Now I wish to delete most of them but my permissions were not allowing me. Believing this to be an Apple problem due to my installation of an SSD and my son’s new account on the Mac, I googled fixes unsuccessfully, then I contacted Apple via chat and then they rang me to sort the complex problem out. The engineer on the phone noticed on my screen that most of the videos in Finder have a tiny padlock logo on them, so he got me to Google about that. It appears to be only the Viofo recordings (most of them - some don’t have the padlock).

The workaround was to select a recording and option-select File, then ‘Delete Immediately’ instead of ‘Move to Trash’. When I did this for one of them, it deleted. Problem solved!

Next day I went to continue the deletions, but I got this message; "The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have permission to access some of the items."

What is going on with them?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-30 at 15.59.45.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-30 at 15.59.45.png
    9.6 KB · Views: 10
Locked files are a standard on both Mac and Windows. Files will be locked if the G-sensor in your camera detects a shock so as to prevent them from being accidentally deleted.

To delete a locked file on your Mac select it and then go to the "File" drop-down menu and select "Get Info". You can also use the keyboard shortcut "Command (Alt) - I".

getinfo1.jpg

After selecting "Get Info" you will see the following window. If the radio button (the little box) next to "Locked" has a check mark, click on it to remove the check mark.

Your file will now be unlocked and you can delete it as with any other file.

Getinfo.jpg

Last edited:
You can also lock the files yourself for what ever reason, By pressing the red triangle button. You can also remove the lock on the files via the dashcam using the PLAYLIST mode. See page 10 of the A119 Quick Start Guide. You can find the Guide HERE if needed.

Thanks, but I’ve done all this already. The one I deleted while the Apple engineer was on the phone, DID delete, under the option- choice, but now it’s NOT saying that it’s locked, but I’m being told that I "don’t have permission to access some of the items”!

I’ve noticed I can delete a few that aren’t locked. These were ones that weren’t saved ON the dash cam in the permanent folder.

Last edited:
If it is your Apple that keeps you out of your files?
It sounds as if permissions need to be set on the computer or you have a bad SD-Card. More likely to be the SD-Card it may be worth trying another. If your old card has gone bad (and they do) you may have lost those file for good. It is the reason why only good quality hi-speed card are recommended. Beware of fakes and only buy from a reputable source.
Maybe worth a try at re-formatting the card in the A119.

No, the files haven’t been lost. The problem is that I CAN’T lose them! They’re taking up space on my Mac hard drive. It seems to be that any recording that I clicked to save to the permanent folder (think it’s labelled ‘RO’) are the problem. Any recording I transferred from the cam from outside that folder are the deletable ones, SO it must be the cam that is locking them and then not allowing ME permission to delete from my Mac. How on earth do I convince my Mac or the cam that I AM the owner and recorder of the files?

Two things spring to mind
rename the folder
take ownership of the folder as administrator.
both very Windows type of answers as I don't have my Mac's up at the moment.
Note that I believe another file is associated with Mac files and they may be hidden. That was on the older OS so it may not apply now.

Thanks. Already did the whole admin thing with the folder. I decided to create a brand new folder, ensured I had permissions, transferred the videos and it worked BUT it only copied them!! The original folder is still there, with a new name, admin ownership is clearly mine, and I STILL can’t get rid of them. AAAAAAGGGGHH! :(

Computer file security is a nightmare. I think that most people have fallen foul to it at sometime.

If it was Windows I would know exactly what to do :(

Thanks. Already did the whole admin thing with the folder. I decided to create a brand new folder, ensured I had permissions, transferred the videos and it worked BUT it only copied them!! The original folder is still there, with a new name, admin ownership is clearly mine, and I STILL can’t get rid of them. AAAAAAGGGGHH! :(
I don't know what level of Mac knowledge you have but you may have missed a step or two.
Have a look at this video might highlight a missing step.

If you are comfortable with "terminal" place this command in the cli.

sudo chown bob ~/Desktop/test-file.txt

Change Bob to your name and select the correct folder location not the path and file name shown here.

Other option of course is check out the Mac forums.
Have fun.

Last edited:
I don't know what level of Mac knowledge you have but you may have missed a step or two.
Have a look at this video might highlight a missing step.

If you are comfortable with "terminal" place this command in the cli.

sudo chown bob ~/Desktop/test-file.txt

Change Bob to your name and select the correct folder location not the path and file name shown here.

Other option of course is check out the Mac forums.
Have fun.

Wow! These are all the things I have already done, more than once, so I rolled my eyes at the video, but thought I’d go through it all again to make sure I HADN’T missed anything. When I clicked on the 'wheel’ box to get ‘Apply to enclosed items’ another option appeared ‘make timhiggins (me) the owner’, which had never shown itself before. THAT worked. Thank you. :)

Wow! These are all the things I have already done, more than once, so I rolled my eyes at the video, but thought I’d go through it all again to make sure I HADN’T missed anything. When I clicked on the 'wheel’ box to get ‘Apply to enclosed items’ another option appeared ‘make timhiggins (me) the owner’, which had never shown itself before. THAT worked. Thank you. :)

Thanks for admitting you missed a step.
Glad it worked out for you.
Now you have the Power over Apple!!! Or at least their file setup. Better still, no more pain.

Thanks for admitting you missed a step.
Glad it worked out for you.
Now you have the Power over Apple!!! Or at least their file setup. Better still, no more pain.

It wasn’t a step missed by ME lol; it never showed itself before, even with the Apple engineer on the line! Moot point now, though. Why do we surrender our souls to these computers? Thanks again.

Why do we surrender our souls to these computers?
Because most of the time they are wonderful for us- the rest of the time they challenge our ability to remain sane.

I've always wanted a key on my keyboard that would send an electrical jolt to whoever designed the crappy things we have to put up with about our computers :devilish:

Phil

Because most of the time they are wonderful for us- the rest of the time they challenge our ability to remain sane.

I've always wanted a key on my keyboard that would send an electrical jolt to whoever designed the crappy things we have to put up with about our computers :devilish:

Phil

We should start a campaign on social media for that!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A A119 6
RCPilot A119 5
Back