AR790 2CH bricked after failed fimware update - fixes?

rjk

Reaction score
Country
United States
I tried installing the latest firmware on my AR790 2CH, but now it does nothing. I think the firmware must not have installed correctly. If I put the firmware on the card again and put the card in the camera, it says "Firmware update starting" and then goes silent and back to being a brick.

Are there any solutions for this? I tried contacting Lukas/Qvia a few different ways but have gotten zero response from them. Not happy! I had Lukas for the picture quality and bitrate, but looks like I will avoid them in the future.

I tried updating the Qvia viewer to see if it was because of a bad config file, but the new config file did not fix the problem. Does anyone know how to contact Qrontech/Qvia?

I had a similar problem with my Qvia QR790 - and although a different model it's likely a similar cause. In my case the firmware started to 'update' but the camera would continually cycle back to the message 'firmware update commenced' over & over again. Although you're not ever supposed to interrupt the power while a firmware update is happening, try to figure a solution if it just keeps looping - there is no choice but to interrupt it. Which 'bricked' my new camera. However, you should try to do a full re-format of the micro SD card and copy the latest AR790.bin (firmware) file to it, assuming that's what it's called. Make sure your ignition is on when you reinsert the SD card and turn on your camera. Fingers crossed it should work, they are very fiddly if there is any other config file on the SD Card so it's always best to start with formatted SD. Let me know if you got it working? I managed to recover mine with a re-formatted card and clean reinstall.

I had a similar problem with my Qvia QR790 - and although a different model it's likely a similar cause. In my case the firmware started to 'update' but the camera would continually cycle back to the message 'firmware update commenced' over & over again. Although you're not ever supposed to interrupt the power while a firmware update is happening, try to figure a solution if it just keeps looping - there is no choice but to interrupt it. Which 'bricked' my new camera. However, you should try to do a full re-format of the micro SD card and copy the latest AR790.bin (firmware) file to it, assuming that's what it's called. Make sure your ignition is on when you reinsert the SD card and turn on your camera. Fingers crossed it should work, they are very fiddly if there is any other config file on the SD Card so it's always best to start with formatted SD. Let me know if you got it working? I managed to recover mine with a re-formatted card and clean reinstall.
Thanks for the tips. I will try it out for sure - I had been trying to use an SD with both the firmware and a modified config file, but I will try a freshly formatted SD with only the firmware on it.

@redler Your suggestion worked perfectly! Thanks so much!

I'm still looking forward to the SG9663DR to replace this thing, I think it should be more reliable and have better support.

If you compare to the support out of Lukas/qvia in Korea and SG out of Australia / China, then you cant really compare the two as far as i know, you will at least have to put them pretty close to opposite ends of the spectrum.

Reactions: rjk
@redler Your suggestion worked perfectly! Thanks so much!

I'm still looking forward to the SG9663DR to replace this thing, I think it should be more reliable and have better support.
Ah, glad it worked, nice to know you can 'un-brick' them. I haven't tried getting hold of Qvia for support (yet) I've been able to figure out my issues so far. But I'm not sure you'll have any better luck with another type of camera - from what I can see they're all very fiddly to set up and seem to have buggy applications/wifi etc. Very frustrating to say the least. It's almost impossible to keep a stable wifi connection to the cam from my phone so I can check setup etc. and adjust it. Must check my phone settings.... It really shouldn't be this hard.

@OCD Tronic & @OCD Tronic Canada are rolling out QVIA products across North America and will be ramping up for sales inquiries/support questions. We should have everything dialed in soon.

I asked the team and they said:

This can happen if the SD card has files on it or it's formatted with anything other than FAT32
The config file should be put on after the firmware update is complete.
The firmware update doesn't clear the settings so there is no need to even include the config file yet

@OCD Tronic & @OCD Tronic Canada are rolling out QVIA products across North America and will be ramping up for sales inquiries/support questions. We should have everything dialed in soon.

I asked the team and they said:

This can happen if the SD card has files on it or it's formatted with anything other than FAT32
The config file should be put on after the firmware update is complete.
The firmware update doesn't clear the settings so there is no need to even include the config file yet
Hi OCD Tronic, great - thanks for the confirmation. It's good that some support is coming online, it's hard for users to figure out by themselves. On that topic, why is it that manufacturers don't put all that useful information in the instructions for firmware update - it's not that hard for them to include these comments e.g. use a clean fully formatted (FAT32) SD card with no other files on it etc. I think part of the problem is that they are pumping out products so fast to keep competitive that they never really have the time to properly setup support/information etc. which means the poor users are left to figure it out for themselves...

Hi OCD Tronic, great - thanks for the confirmation. It's good that some support is coming online, it's hard for users to figure out by themselves. On that topic, why is it that manufacturers don't put all that useful information in the instructions for firmware update - it's not that hard for them to include these comments e.g. use a clean fully formatted (FAT32) SD card with no other files on it etc. I think part of the problem is that they are pumping out products so fast to keep competitive that they never really have the time to properly setup support/information etc. which means the poor users are left to figure it out for themselves...

We will have a new dedicated QVIA.cAm website with enhanced support info like this coming soon. (In development as we speak).

Back