Are backup cameras interchangeable with a dashcam.

asdf;lkj

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I am purchasing a dashcam/backup camera for my 2005 Dodge Sprinter van. The backup camera needs to be on the roof but I prefer to use an all-in-one brake light/backup camera instead of drilling holes for this one which seems kinda flimsy. Is it doable to purchase this all-in-one backup camera and use it with a separately purchased dashcam?

Thanks.

Last edited:
and most backup camera / dash cam combinations have a proprietary cable for the rear camera. that means if the rear camera ever dies it may be hard to get a replacement. in my experience, all-in-one solutions are still too much of a compromise and they won't do either task very well.

most dashcams don't work with backup cameras
Hmmm, that's odd...Amazon has numerous combination cam/backup camera combos that have hundreds of satisfied customer opinions

Hmmm, that's odd...Amazon has numerous combination cam/backup camera combos that have hundreds of satisfied customer opinions

there are dashcams (mostly clip on mirror type) that have a reverse cam function, they're not compatible with most typical reverse cameras, regular dashcams that have a rear channel option are most often not compatible either, the type that are workable are usually only SD resolution with an RCA connector, ok for reverse cam duties, not good when it comes to recording though

as I said, most dashcams don't work with backup cameras

Dont focus too much on amazon / ebay and so customer reviews, they are often fake / bought.
My issue with dashcams and backup camera use lie in them often dont having the guide lines in the footage and the abillety to flip the footage ( but that seem to change on some models now )
Also a dashcam ( front or rear ) are best placed up high on the glass, so if you drive a sedan than you have a blind spot directly behind your car where a child can easy fit.
Reversing cameras are often placed down low on the back of the car, so they cover from 0 to a couple of Meters behind the car, a rear camera on a sedan will only cover from 1-2 M and further out back.

But if you drive a car like mine with "no ass" then it can be done, same with a lot of SUV and 4X4 cars and vans, but my car are so small that its only my age and poor health that do i cant step out and lift the damn thing into place.
But i am old school so cameras or not i will keep doing it the old way.

This is the view out the back of my car wit the camera right up against the glass and so no heater lines in the footage, but as you can see i will have to tilt the camera down a lot to cover the area behind my car.

Last edited:
Parking my car today in the good old fashioned way, i can see by the footage that its actually not that much i will have to aim my camera down to have optimal reversing camera coverage.

Agreed with kamkar1. One cam can only do one job well and the other job will be highly compromised. With discrete reversing cam kits so cheap today, that is the option I'd take so that my important dashcam footage wasn't compromised. If I do get a reversing cam for my old van (as tall and wide as the biggest Sprinter) I'm going to mount the screen on the flip-down sun visor where it won't be any stretch to look at my mirrors too while using it; that seems a more logical location than center of the dashboard. Having said this, after driving vans for decades I can count on one hand the times where I backed into anything so for me it's not a huge priority.

Phil

I tend to believe that a mirror dash cam with an integrated backup camera does work. For the price I'm giving it a shot. I bought the identical one I damaged and both dash cam and rear camera are working perfectly wired the way it is supposed to with the cig lighter plug.

My only question is what happens when I turn off the ignition. Does it keep pulling from the battery or do I need to turn it off every time I turn the ignition off?

I tend to believe that a mirror dash cam with an integrated backup camera does work.

that's a typical function for that type of product

My only question is what happens when I turn off the ignition. Does it keep pulling from the battery or do I need to turn it off every time I turn the ignition off?
if your cig socket goes off it will stop, if it doesn't you'll need to wire it differently (suggest not cutting the plug off though ;) )

that's a typical function for that type of product

if your cig socket goes off it will stop, if it doesn't you'll need to wire it differently (suggest not cutting the plug off though ;) )

At the risk of revisiting something that may already have been conveyed to me, what does a hard wire kit with an add-on do that an add-on fuse holder doesn't do by itself? In other words, to hardwire it to my fuse box, do I need a hard wire kit or can I just tap the female cig extension into the add-on?

if you have a female cig socket you can hardwire that and just plug the included cig charger in, safe way of doing it

if you have a female cig socket you can hardwire that and just plug the included cig charger in, safe way of doing it

So...to confirm, so I don't screw it up again....I can cut the male plug end of the female cig extension and add one of the two wires into the add-on. the other to ground. And this works similarly to a hard wire kit?

if you have like this

female cig.jpg

black to ground, red to appropriate circuit of your fuse panel, plug the included power lead into this (suggest when you connect it you put some tape around so they don't come unplugged over time) then you're good to go

if you have like this

View attachment 42240

black to ground, red to appropriate circuit of your fuse panel, plug the included power lead into this (suggest when you connect it you put some tape around so they don't come unplugged over time) then you're good to go

I have this with the male cig plug on the other end....I presume cutting THAT one off to expose its red and black wires is okay?

Thanks for the help. I will give it a try tomorrow.

Update: Someone told me to forego the add-on fuse to the fuse box and to just use the ignition power terminal point underneath the driver's seat. Success!

Last edited:
Back