Are Cellink NEO type batteries a necessity?

@Indian I must admit to some jealousy- that's a much better system than the 20A one I have planned (y) Good to see that you understand the needs and limitations of Lithium-type batteries, and that your system has the necessary safety mechanisms in place. Many of the cheaper chargers and controllers do not have low-temp charging cut-off even when they are advertised as having that :( but most do have high-temp cutoff. Done properly as yours seems to be, the system will probably out-live at least a few dashcams which makes the costs reasonable overall.

Many thanks for sharing this with us, and may you not ever need your dashcam footage for anything less than pleasurable viewing purposes :cool:

Phil

Done properly as yours seems to be, the system will probably out-live at least a few dashcams which makes the costs reasonable overall.
I suspect it will out-live liquid fueled cars, and then become redundant!

It is nice to see it done properly, safety should be a concern for all battery systems since the consequences can be a loss of the car. We haven't been hearing of any safety issues with the older Cellink etc. that don't have low temperature charging cut-off, but maybe it is just a matter of time as they age.

This is a neat 12A lithium battery that cost about 100 dollars. This should keep the dashcan going for about a week. Small too. 98X96X150 mm.
A friend of mine put 3 of these connected in series to his electric scooter.
Your alternator should charge these in minutes.
The prices are Norwegian so will be cheaper for you. It is Topband that produces these batteries.
Another brand you can look for is the Ritar.
If you live i cold climates you need a Dc charger
One big advantage of the lithium is that the voltage stays constant at 12.8V down to 10%. With lead acid, your battery is flat at 11.7V.
At 50% the voltage will be at 12.2V. Then you have the problems with sulphation of the cells. Do this a frw times and your battery is dead.
The difference between life and death of a battery is only 1V.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This is a home made 80A lithium battery made from cells bought from AliExpress. Total cost was 68 dollars including case and Andersen contact.
Building one at 36 A would cost 40 dollars.
fc37baed19c86e7ee9c9c1ac125eebe7.jpg

Finally I installed the Votronic DcDc charger for permanent use last night. It charges with 30A.
I tested it by driving only 5 kilometers. I started at 83 % and the battery was at 94% when I returned.
364W must be very good.
I will be driving on a 50 km trip today and will be able to give a final verdict later on.
01732baf74b608ea770ddd8ce00f9744.jpg

17 deg C,,,,,,, that must have been while charging, must be colder up there this time of the year. :)

In case anyone are wondering from the APP picture, Sykluser means Cycles / charge cycles i assume.

This is a home made 80A lithium battery made from cells bought from AliExpress. Total cost was 68 dollars including case and Andersen contact.
Building one at 36 A would cost 40 dollars.
fc37baed19c86e7ee9c9c1ac125eebe7.jpg

What cells did you use?

17 deg C,,,,,,, that must have been while charging, must be colder up there this time of the year. :)

In case anyone are wondering from the APP picture, Sykluser means Cycles / charge cycles i assume.

This screenshot was taken just after I started the car that has been parked outside all night.
The temperature was much lower than 17°. I would say about +5°.

18650 cells

80Ah with 18650 cells? For 68 dollars?

On aliexpress I am seeing 10 x 3.2v 1500mAh for 30 dollars, you'd need a lot more than that to make an 80Ah battery!

I think I am probably misunderstanding what you have said :unsure:

I am not home. I will send you the links when I get home on Sunday.

IMHO extending parking mode times isn't the right answer unless it's enough to cover all of your parking time.

Phil
You are right and all people should read your post.
These gadgets are just offering a limited time of parking mode which is always shorter compared to car battery usage. For a 4K dual channel the duration is under 16 hours.

I read so many times that a such devices are extending the parking mode duration. This is wrong. Maybe are extending the car battery life. When the power bank is empty the parking mode will stop. In weekends the car will be not protected when using a power bank.

Last edited:
We need a device which will have the usual adjustable-voltage HWK with a user-supplied USB powerbank, combining both to give the most recording time possible in a plug-and-play configuration. Done like this the buyer wouldn't be stuck with accepting whatever cells/batteries the manufacturer supplies. Plus if the powerbank wears out or fail, just plug in a new one and keep going :cool:

Larger DIY systems have their place but most drivers worry even just hooking up a standard HWK so they will not choose to use such a system. Give them something as simple as possible and at non-ripoff prices and they will buy it in masses :love:

Phil

As already discussed in other threads the user-supplied USB powerbanks are not a good advice because their charging speed is too low and charging them at home is ruining the parking mode experience. These cannot fit in some other DIY system to offer charging and delivering power at the same time but only for some special models of powerbanks.

To assure power for parking mode in weekends, maybe exists some timer switch device to switch the power from the Cell power to car battery.
Example: my Cellink offer 16 hours of parking mode. I set the switch to 16 hours. After 16 hours the device to switch from Cellink power connection to car battery power connection to a permanent fuse. Of course I will need also a voltage cut protection like the one from Viofo HK3.
If driving daily to work the car battery will be not used in parking mode because is expected the car to be parked at home less than 16 hours. The car battery will be used only on weekends but only after 16 hours the car was parked.

enjoy,
Mtz

As already discussed in other threads the user-supplied USB powerbanks are not a good advice because their charging speed is too low and charging them at home is ruining the parking mode experience. These cannot fit in some other DIY system to offer charging and delivering power at the same time but only for some special models of powerbanks.

To assure power for parking mode in weekends, maybe exists some timer switch device to switch the power from the Cell power to car battery.
Example: my Cellink offer 16 hours of parking mode. I set the switch to 16 hours. After 16 hours the device to switch from Cellink power connection to car battery power connection to a permanent fuse. Of course I will need also a voltage cut protection like the one from Viofo HK3.
If driving daily to work the car battery will be not used in parking mode because is expected the car to be parked at home less than 16 hours. The car battery will be used only on weekends but only after 16 hours the car was parked.

enjoy,
Mtz
wait a sec, do you actually have a timer switch that does that? You said "maybe exists" so I was not sure.

FYI, the Cellink Neo and BlackVue Power Magic Ultra both can pull 9A @ over 14v when hardwired with an appropriate wiring harness. You can get quite a bit of charge from a 15 minute drive.
Maybe we're now moving from car battery wear and tear to alternator wear and tear?

wait a sec, do you actually have a timer switch that does that? You said "maybe exists" so I was not sure.
I said maybe.
I consider it is a simple device such switch/controller, but I don't know how to search about it on internet. :( But I think this idea is not good, read next! ;)

A better idea is to use a controller to switch the power to another source if the primary source have no power anymore. In our situation: if cell power become empty the power bank to take power from the car battery.

Such device to have 2 inputs
A. Cell power
B. Car battery
And one output:
C. Dashcam or hardwire kit.

When A have no power to switch to source B until source A have again power.
C will be always powered. If it is a korean 12V dashcam it have voltage cut, If it is a hardwire kit like HK3 from Viofo it have too a voltage cut, so the car battery will be never depleted completely.
The biggest advantage of this controller is that you will use the cell power in most of the cases and only when will be needed will be used the car battery.

Later edit
After some search on internet I found something like this or this. Seems the one from Banggood is looking more profesional
Dual Power Supply Automatic Switching ebay.jpg Dual Power Supply Automatic Switching banggood.jpg

enjoy,
Mtz

Maybe we're now moving from car battery wear and tear to alternator wear and tear?
You will have that anyway you do this unless you use a battery charger. The needed wattage is insignificant compared to what the car needs- I'm not sure any difference in alternator life would be measurable.

Phil

I think 9 amps is quite significant. Whatever anyway

The alternators can output about 60-100A so I don't think is a problem.

Back