Are Cellink NEO type batteries a necessity??

LillianNest

Reaction score
Country
United States
If I have a Viofo Pro 4K Duo cam setup which is directly wired, how necessary is it to put out another $300 for a Cellink battery? I have a new car so my battery is in mint condition. I do not live in a climate where it ever drops below 45-50 degrees F. I typically drive my vehicle everyday. A handful of times a year I will leave my vehicle at an airport for 3-4 days, but I understand the battery drain protection would kick in and I’m okay with the unit’s parking mode turning off in that case. Must I buy a battery to run the cam through? Is the auto-shutoff battery protection in the hardwire kit enough to keep me from having to worry about randomly returning to a dead battery? If so, what would you recommend I set the shut off Voltage at...11.8, 12, 12.2, 12.4?
Thanks for your feedback!https://9apps.ooo/

Last edited:

Ukraine Visitor

Reaction score
Country
United States
I guess it's fine IF you aren't looking to do parking mode, especially overnight parking mode.

SawMaster

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Numerous and ever-changing
Welcome to DCT @LillianNest :)

With the new battery a 12.0V cutoff is probably usable but it is going to increase battery wear and shorten it's service life. If you can get long enough recording times set at 12.2V that would be a much better idea ;) You'd have to try it to know what you'll get as results vary, mostly based on the car's battery size. This cut-off will prevent you from ending up with a dead battery based on which setting you use; going below 12.0V is likely to cause problems unless you've got an AGM type battery.

Only if you're not getting the recording times you want do you need accessory powering, and there are now other choices than the Neo which are better for this purpose.

Phil

jokiin

Manufacturer
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Too many ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Cellink Neo (or similar) is necessary for some vehicles to enable parking mode, that's vehicle specific though, mostly late model German cars that are a problem, for many vehicles it's a non issue