Are dash cams legal in Italy ?

Napoliman

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Just been given a dash cam as a present by an English friend after seeing what it is like to drive in Southern Italy. Are they legal here in Italy ? Don't want to fit it and have problems with the Carabiniere.

Don't know if they are or aren't legal in Italy for sure, but have now driven to Italy four times (from the UK) with two DVR's, one forward facing and one rear facing, I have been stopped on a few occasions and have had the car checked over by local police or the Carabinieri by the side of the road and have (on two occasions) been asked what they were and nothing more was said about them, so I can only think either they didn't care or they are legal in Italy

not exactly hidden

and the rear facing one

They where proberly thinking " stupido inglese " ;) we will let him go on his merry way, it might be candid camera. :D

:) more than likely, Once I was stopped on a country lane, (not a car or person in sight, for miles) by two Carabinieri's and was asked for documents (I know one has to have them in the car) so I got out and took out my documents from the boot of the car and handed them over to them, not knowing to them that I do understand Italian and speak a little too

I could hear them talking to each other (trying to look official and making the best of their knowledge of English) looking at my documents (all in English) and one saying to the other in Italian "don't know what I'm looking at here" but once they got to see my English and international driving licence with my Italian name they clocked on and they started asking questions in Italian, all very friendly and very soon spent time asking about my car and where in England I lived, what would normally of been a few moments looking at documents ended up having a good chat for a good 15 / 20 minutes all very very friendly

I know I shouldn't and maybe the reason why I got/get stopped is, to me the car looks a lot better having the front number plate off so once I'm over in France I've been taking the front one off, (touch wood) only once at the Swiss boarder was I asked where the front plat was, never yet been fined.

I have tried the same on a ship, we was docking the ship at some french harbour, and the Guys on shore was having fun at me and my fellow sailors expence.

Now i will not in any way say i am good at french, but i undestand enuff to know some of the Words they where saying where not pleasant.
So after we where done docking the ship i got the 2 guys attention and then i let go all the french curse Words i know + a good load of English and German Words :D
The 2 Guys walked off and i never saw them Again :)

Back