Are dashcam's catching on in America?

I think they are catching on slowly. What I tell people is consider the potential cost savings. In an accident where the other party is untruthful this could save you thousands in insurance when you add in your deductible and the insurance increases due to the accident.

This could also save you a citation be it either one issued at an accident if the officer believes the other party, a red light citation or other traffic infraction. A citation can cost hundreds of dollars (especially here in California) and will also raise insurance.

I don't generally speed and I obey the law but I still feel the need to have a camera. It's not me I am worried about it's all these unlicensed drivers, people without insurance who do hit and runs and people who are untruthful in an accident.

Last edited:
This is why I cannot gift dashcams to my friends and family :eek: All they see are the downsides of having their intentionally poor driving habits exposed. The one friend who is a good driver doesn't see the need because she's never had significant problems on the road and doesn't like having gadgets in her car :rolleyes:

It seems that most people want to have an immediate return on their investment via the cost-vs-benefit method which may never play out with a dashcam. You cannot assign a price or value to peace-of-mind even though we understand it's great value :(

Phil
Agreed. Again, most people that see and ask about mine first and foremost see it as an intrusion into their driving.

Agreed. Again, most people that see and ask about mine first and foremost see it as an intrusion into their driving.
Until you get into an accident where some dash cam video would have shown your innocence but you end up with higher insurance rates as well as a hefty repair bill.
A lot of people are put off by the idea of running wires in their car. They would rather have somebody else do it. Even then, many expect the videos to be as good as if they were taken with a cam corder.

Back