Are dashcams legal in North Carolina?

questions84

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is it legal to drive with a dashcam in North Carolina ? what If the camera is not hidden and is sitting on the dashboard without blocking the drivers or passengers view, is it legal? As far as wiretapping, the camera is recording audio inside the car and all passengers (if any) are aware of audio being recorded. Also what if a cop pulls over and the camera is recording audio and video ? I cannot find a clear answer to this, please share your thoughts. thanks.

if you get pulled over you should tell the cop he is being recorded for quality and coaching purposes :D

seriously though the laws do vary state by state, video is no issue provided you keep to whatever the rule is about placement, if you drive onto a military base you may have an issue, audio depends if you are in a one party state or a two party state and may require a sign

In a conversation with a cop, I would try to keep it to yes or no really.
North Carolina is a one-party consent law state. I only drive back and forth from work and home and have no intentions to drive onto military base or to private properties. I just want to record while I am driving on public roads and public spaces.

if it's a two party state then you really should have something on the vehicle that says that there is audio recording, window sign or whatever, the video in public spaces is no issue

Edit: sorry, wrote one when I meant two, edited for clarity

Last edited:
Is it legal to drive with a dashcam in North Carolina ? what If the camera is not hidden and is sitting on the dashboard without blocking the drivers or passengers view, is it legal? As far as wiretapping, the camera is recording audio inside the car and all passengers (if any) are aware of audio being recorded. Also what if a cop pulls over and the camera is recording audio and video ? I cannot find a clear answer to this, please share your thoughts. thanks.

I live in North Carolina and was a police officer here for a long time. In NC you do not have to notify another person or officer you are recording them, as long as you are apart of the conversation. Furthermore, if you’re recording a phone call...as long as they are in NC you don’t have to notify them either. There is no charge for something hanging from your mirror like other states. We have, “overloaded or overcrowded vehicle” which is the only applicable statute for obstructed view. That’s for the hoarders. The only real issue you need to be cognizant of, which is rare and I doubt you will run into this, is if you happen to be recording two other people in your vehicle...like maybe two mechanics if you leave it on for service. However, I wouldn’t be too concerned with that. Off topic, there is also a myth in NC that there is a charge for having a cracked windshield. Take my word, there is NOT!!!

I live in North Carolina and was a police officer here for a long time. In NC you do not have to notify another person or officer you are recording them, as long as you are apart of the conversation. Furthermore, if you’re recording a phone call...as long as they are in NC you don’t have to notify them either. There is no charge for something hanging from your mirror like other states. We have, “overloaded or overcrowded vehicle” which is the only applicable statute for obstructed view. That’s for the hoarders. The only real issue you need to be cognizant of, which is rare and I doubt you will run into this, is if you happen to be recording two other people in your vehicle...like maybe two mechanics if you leave it on for service. However, I wouldn’t be too concerned with that. Off topic, there is also a myth in NC that there is a charge for having a cracked windshield. Take my word, there is NOT!!!
Great. Thank you for sharing that information. Just to be safe, I had disabled audio recording. The dashcam, a mobius v1 is sitting on the dashboard in plain view and is not hidden. Appreciate your help. thanks.

if it's a two party state then you really should have something on the vehicle that says that there is audio recording, window sign or whatever, the video in public spaces is no issue

Edit: sorry, wrote one when I meant two, edited for clarity
thank you for your help. Why take chances, I have disabled audio altogether.

I have disabled audio but would able it if a cop approached my window. And say nothing. Is this wrong? Anybody know about South Carolina?

Hey Randy, what happened to your head? Looks like you wore your hat too tight for awhile!:D

Hey Randy, what happened to your head? Looks like you wore your hat too tight for awhile!:D

I’m related to the Coneheads!
South Carolina is a one party consent state...no need to worry. I just leave my audio on...I think it’s best that you’re not reaching around when stopped...plus you’ll be distracted so you may hit a wrong button. Say the officer says he didn’t see you wearing your seatbelt and feels you just put it on...the audio would pick up the click if you did! Always a reason to have audio and video :D

Good to have an ex-cop friend, who wants to keep other cops honest. Even if he is a Conehead. Same advice for North Carolina?

Last edited:
haha, yep same deal.

Back