xtacam

Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
I was following a thread on the Git2 on the RC forums and found that some people were claiming that the SJCAM and Gitup batteries were the same. Then some people started to say that the Git2 battery was labelled as 950mah while the SJCAM batteries were labelled as 900mah. Upon further searches, I found a test that showed the GitUp batteries only had 730mah?

Gitup 730mah

While I could still be in the market for a Gitup camera, I really do not like it when products (especially Chinese ones) are mis-labelled.

I am guessing many people don't really care what the mah is as long as the camera gets good battery life, but, I kind of want to know what I am buying before purchasing my first action cam.

Thanks

how long does the battery last in each, that's all that matters in the end, there's only enough physical space to fit the size battery it has so whatever is written on the outside is far less relevant than how long the camera will actually work for

Thank you let me know this, now I know who did such testing.
Regarding some testing, also in Techmoan review, GitUp new battery can last about 120mins on Git1.
I just want to know if there is any SJCAM battery which labeled as 900mAh can last 120mins in any SJCAM camera.

Thank you let me know this, now I know who did such testing..

if it was SJCAM (can't think who else would care) then their battery is the same size anyway, how long it lasts is far more important than what size it is, maybe you should label it as a 2 hour battery instead ;)

if it was SJCAM (can't think who else would care) then their battery is the same size anyway, how long it lasts is far more important than what size it is, maybe you should label it as a 2 hour battery instead ;)
If I want to do some comparison, just let the user do.
If we do, I don't want to hide, even you can find our comparison in our earlier blog post.
Just check this PRlog, interesting to know:
"We received a photo from a confidential source showing a peeled GitUp battery being tested."

I don't want to talk this too much, also this is discussed before on RCGroups.

Just check this PRlog, interesting to know:
"We received a photo from a confidential source showing a peeled GitUp battery being tested."

yeah I saw that

what I find interesting is if the battery is only 730mAh then it's smaller than the Mobius battery and still gets the same run time and it has a screen, wifi etc, so is the Mobius battery smaller than claimed (nobody seems to care anyway) or are the GitUp cameras just a superior design and more efficient

yeah I saw that

what I find interesting is if the battery is only 730mAh then it's smaller than the Mobius battery and still gets the same run time and it has a screen, wifi etc, so is the Mobius battery smaller than claimed (nobody seems to care anyway) or are the GitUp cameras just a superior design and more efficient
The GitUp cameras have much more energy efficient sensors than the Mobius, I would guess that even with the screen they do use a fair bit less power than the Mobius for the same recording resolution & fps. Even the SJCAM 5000X Elite seems to use 19% more power than the Git2 in my tests and they both use Sony sensors.

WiFi uses a lot of power, but it is normally off so uses little in record time tests.

Thank you let me know this, now I know who did such testing...
Presumably the new forum member who started this thread and a lot of other posts on the subject :D

xtacam is coming from Hong Kong (I think from China in reality) and linked to a source which is using a chinese photo.
For example I can say the tool used for measuring is poor quality and not offering correct measures.

My idea about batteries is that all manufacturers are declaring (a little) more than reality, maybe 10% more, just for marketing purposes. If SJCam battery is 900 mAH and GitUp is 950 mAH I expect the GitUp to be a little bigger and/or a little heavier.

But as some users already posted, not the number is important but the duration of recording and in time, the battery life.

enjoy,
Mtz

Since record time is the most important, I have tested the record time for the Git2 and SJ5000X Elite using the same battery.

I used my best SJCAM battery since GitUp batteries can be hard to fit in an SJCAM, put it in the SJ5000 first, then the Git2, then repeated.
The cameras where set to 1080p30 with gyro off for comparison with less capable cameras like the Git1 and Mobius.
I charged the battery in the camera to be tested until the camera said it was full, then set it recording.
The record time was measured by looking at the minutes recorded using Windows file explorer and averaging two runs.

Git2: 129 minutes, 15.4GB
SJ5000X Elite: 104 minutes, 10.5GB
Git1: 120 minutes (from previous testing.)
Mobius: 130 minutes (fitted with large battery - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=29821669&postcount=12120)

So using the same battery the Git2 records for 24% longer than the SJ5000X Elite while storing nearly 50% more data!

Presumably more data equals more image detail.

At 60fps instead of 30fps, record times are less and I saw only 19% more record time for the Git2 instead of 24% more.

It seems the choice of camera is more important than the choice of battery, and having chosen your camera you still have a choice of battery, unless of course you try to fit a GitUp battery in an SJCAM and find that it is too big to go in the hole!

It seems the choice of camera is more important than the choice of battery, and having chosen your camera you still have a choice of battery, unless of course you try to fit a GitUp battery in an SJCAM and find that it is too big to go in the hole!

how about the GitUp cameras using the supplied GitUp battery versus the SJCAM battery?

My first battery testing series is finished and the first conclusions are below. I'm also running a second series of tests with a low 100mA discharge current and by reading the voltage until now at a 30% discharge i have pulled 354 mAh. This means that if the voltage will not drop to fast in the next few hours we may get a capacity in the range of 900mAh.

Here are the summary of the results and conclusions

- The Git battery does not like my dual charger.
- The Git battery loses capacity faster under high load, but has better capacity at low loads (completely normal)
- The Git battery has bigger capacity by a margin under lighter load compared to my SJ battery.
- The SJ Battery has more consistent capacity regardless of the discharge rate.
- The SJ Battery keeps capacity a bit better under higher load
- The SJ Battery works OK with the dual charger.

Taken this into account and knowing that the Git2 has lower power consumption that the SJCam it means that the actual usable capacity of the GitUp Battery is larger than the SJ Battery

I have also investigated the dual charger a bit and it's open voltage varies between 4.35 to 4.45 which seems too high, so it's possible that mine is faulty.

Table results:

0.3A Discharge - charged with IMAX (Lowest / Medium / Highest)
GitUp Battery / charge 0.1A / discharge 0.3A - 691 / 745 / 780 mAh
SJCam Battery / charge 0.1A / discharge 0.3A - 687 / 730 / 763 mAh

0.5A Discharge - charged with IMAX (Lowest / Medium / Highest)
GitUp Battery / charge 0.3A / discharge 0.5A - 658 / 708 / 727 mAh
SJCam Battery / charge 0.3A / discharge 0.5A - 679 / 715 / 743 mAh

0.5A Discharge - charged with Dual Slot (Lowest / Medium / Highest)
GitUp Battery / discharge 0.5A - 641 / 688 / 704 mAh
SJCam Battery / discharge 0.5A - 681 / 700 / 721 mAh

0.5A Discharge - charged by camera (Lowest / Medium / Highest)
GitUp Battery (Git2)/ discharge 0.3A - 678 / 728 / 767 mAh
SJCam Battery (M10+)/ discharge 0.3A - 683 / 710 / 741 mAh

Highest capacity
Git battery: 780 mAh
SJ battery: 763 mAh

Lowest capacity
Git battery: 641 mAh
SJ battery: 679 mAh

Used in the test
3x Git batteries
3x SJ batteries

The test (part of) with explanations and details:

We had our batteries tested by a 3rd party and the results got 900mah.

I think there are several ways test as we have seen TechTronic do as well as other forum members (See attached graph)

Highest capacity

there is enough room for error in only 17mah to say that the batteries are the same. Or, gitup batteries do not have 50mah more than SJCAM batteries.

We didn't want to get into this debate, but, I think it is good that people now see that Gitup batteries are not 950mah in three tests.

Attachments

• Gitup-battery-result-graph.jpg
    Gitup-battery-result-graph.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
My first battery testing series is finished and the first conclusions are below.
A correct test is if you will include some branded batteries like Wasabi 1000mAh, XCSource 1100mAh and even a GoPro battery.
I have a feeling that your tests will not show at least 950mAh for any of them.

enjoy,
Mtz

We had our batteries tested by a 3rd party and the results got 900mah.

I think there are several ways test as we have seen TechTronic do as well as other forum members (See attached graph)

Highest capacity

there is enough room for error in only 17mah to say that the batteries are the same. Or, gitup batteries do not have 50mah more than SJCAM batteries.

We didn't want to get into this debate, but, I think it is good that people now see that Gitup batteries are not 950mah in three tests.

Yes and also , SJCAM battery are not 900mah as they advertise on there batterys if we belive this test! So what are your point about this ??? You claim gitup to lie about there batterys , but you do the same if we look at those test!!! Stop wasting your time complaining as it dont give you good credits.

It's worth mentioning that with 100mA discharge i have already obtained 838 mA from one Git battery, now it's on a second round with another. I may add some other types of batteries just for fun. One thing is clear, both the Git1 and the Git2 have a lower power consumption which translates into less load on the battery which means higher running capacity thus resulting in the most important factor which is: longer run time.

A bit off topic but still battery related.

Had some fun with a small LiPo battery. Just wanted to see how it comperes in a capacity test similar with the one did on the Git battery

Zippy Compact 500mAh 3S (11.1V) 25C brand new (5 cycles)
From fresh charged: 4.20V -> 3V / cell -> 305 mAh !!!
The test was done at a 0.5A discharge current which is light on this battery as it's rated for 25C constant high discharge (0.5Ax25 = 12.5A).

I'm getting the impression that factories that make this kind of cells "calculate" the capacity from fully charged to completely zero, which means to kill it or damage it severely, or start a fire... I will also try on a brand new HobbyKing Multistar 5200mAh 3S battery

2.jpg

now you have me wanting to buy an imax charger instead of the simple little 3S balance charger that came with my quadcopter... must... resist... temptation... :p

maybe if i buy more/larger batteries for the quad, i'll get an imax, but till then, i don't really NEED one.

for those who don't understand about batteries - it's actually harmful and sometimes even dangerous to completely discharge a rechargeable battery, whether it's a lead-acid battery like the one in your car, or smaller battery packs for electronics (phones, toys, dashcams, etc) made with nickel-cadmium/lithium-polymer/lithium-ion/nickel-metal-hydride/etc.

alkaline/dry disposables don't matter since you can't recharge them anyway, so it's safe to run them completely flat. in the case of a lead-acid, ni-cad or ni-mh, you simply won't be able to recharge it anymore if you drain it too far - no real danger of fire/explosion. but in the case of a li-po or li-ion like in a dashcam/actioncam or even the big packs used in an electric or hybrid car, if you discharge them too fast or too far, it can cause the battery to swell and/or rupture, releasing flammable gasses such as hydrogen. even if it doesn't rupture, it physically damages the cell so it can't hold as much charge anymore, and sometimes will no longer be able to be recharged. that's why they make low battery alarms for RC aircraft, so you can have time to land the craft before you discharge the battery too far, and also so you have time to land safely before the battery simply dies.

most good quality battery packs have discharge protection circuits in them so that they'll simply stop providing power once they reach a certain point, to prevent damaging the cells. this is probably the limit that @TechTronic9000 is finding with these packs - the circuits in the battery packs are trying to prevent damage to the packs and thus preventing you from using the full, theoretical capacity of the pack.

makes me wonder if we'll start seeing two ratings on batteries soon, similar to TV sizes... you know, where it says 46" Class (45.2" actual diagonal)... batteries might start saying 950mAh (700mAh usable)... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
@Gibson99 You can try the "clone" IMAX B6 from HobbyKing, half the price and it's as functional as the original. Mine is from them and it's very stable and well calibrated. The rating you mention reminds me of the old 686 Cyrix CPU's in the 90's which had a PR (Pentium Rating) indication instead of real values. They had a PR233 (Pentium 233MHz) and it was only doing 166 MHz. I'm now testing the 5200 mAh 3s battery, it will take a lot longer as the IMAX has only a limited dissipation power when discharging so it's going to take a while.

Back